Pinaud Clubman

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
brothers

Pinaud Clubman

Post by brothers »

It seems they also make hair tonic and shampoo under the Clubman brand. There are several online sources for just about every product they offer. I'm already using the talc and aftershave, might as well stock up on the whole range. The prices are right and the shipping is too.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
dosco

Post by dosco »

I've noticed that as well.

But ... I am a relative youngster ... why use hair tonic?

I have a bottle of this stuff ... Black Magic ... and I've noticed that when I put it in my hair it knocks down the "frizzies" and sort of mats my hair (really not the correct description but something along those lines). I wear my hair somewhere between a "skin fade" and a "princeton" and after I shower it will get "fuzzy." My other aftershaves (Pinaud Clubman, Aqua Velva, Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum, homebrew Bay Rum) don't have the same effect as the Black Magic when applied to my hair.

Is that the reason to use hair tonic?

Enquiring minds want to know ...
Gene

Post by Gene »

Don't know about hair products - don't need them.

But, I do use the shampoo (Looking at you, Ron!) in my travel kit. I like it a lot...good performance, great scent.

Although the scent is somewhat similar to Flex products that I used in the 70's.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've been using the Clubman shampoo for several days, and even though it's inexpensive, I like the performance very well. My hair is clean and soft, and "fluffy" afterward. I've got a couple of bottles of the hair tonic on order, but haven't received it yet. My previous hair tonic ran out about a week ago, and I've been improvising with a splash of Clubman After Shave when brushing my hair after the shower. What else? :lol:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I used the Clubman for a couple years and thought it quite okay. The last couple I've been using Woody's, which I like even better. But even good stuff needs switching out once in a while, and I wouldn't hesitate to get the Pinaud again. Still not the biggest fan of its scent, but it might prove a relief from all the tea tree stuff that's around.
Ron
brothers

Post by brothers »

I used my new Pinaud Clubman hair tonic this morning, but alas, the wife told me it smells like "a real old man". Then she thought for a few seconds, and said, now I remember, that smells exactly like my grandpa use to smell. I make a point to take her word for things of this nature, I do not want to be showing up at work or somewhere, and having anyone thinking such thoughts just to themselves, or talking about it after I've gotten off the elevator. For the record, it does not smell anywhere near as pleasant as the Clubman after shave. And she never complains about the after shave either.
Gary

JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Gary,

May I ask to which specific hair tonics you refer??? Are you speaking about the Eau de Portugal or their Eau de Quinine?? I use the former as an after-shave splash; as hair tonics, they offered little hair control. I add a bit of mineral oil to the eau de Portugal and got some improvement in its performance as a hair prep....I like the fragrance of the edP, though it's not long lasting at all.

Do you use the flesh-tinted talc or the "white?"

I was pleased to see a nice selection of Pinaud/Clubman at Smallflower; I had previously purchased my Clubman products from several different "barber supply" houses, since no one site seemed to have them all.

Anyway, glad you're happy with Clubman; certainly at their price points, they represent a huge value. If their performance is excellent, how can you go wrong?

jr/John
brothers

Post by brothers »

John, I've previously had the Quinine and the Portugal hair tonics, and soon returned to my Vitalis, because they performed pretty much like water. Then I found the Clubman fragranced hair tonic, but the first time I used it, I thought it smelled like a very funky version of Clubman, but used it anyway, just because. In 30 minutes, the wife, bless her heart, said "What's that smell" I said oh, that's my new hair oil. She told me it was bad. I smelled like a really old man. I agreed with her and threw the bottle in the dumpster. Next day, I had a new found admiration for Vitalis. Never going to look back. Win some and lose some.

I got what I thought was "flesh" colored talc at CVS, when I had almost used it all up, I replenished it at the local barber supply store, whose containers were marked "flesh". Then when I opened it, it was kind of purple looking!!! What??? The tan colored CVS is evidently the "non-flesh", but it all smells the same, so what the heck. Where the talc is applied, the sun never shines, and it could be any color at all and who cares? :D
Gary

JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Gary,

I admit SWMBO's opinion also often affects my fragranced product choices. She has strong vocalized judgments, readily voiced, LOL! But it is helpful to have a woman's view.

The last talc I used regularly was Yardley of London; at $15 for a 3 or 4 ounce tin, it was a tad pricey but nice. I used it stricly for the body, l not face... as you said mostly where the sun ain't shining. I enjoyed it a lot and imagined it did make me feel a bit cooler; the lavender scent, was for me a plus, tho the wife is anti-lavender.

In our move from NJ to Cape Cod the talc and and a bunch of other stuff I packed apparently disappeared. I know as soon as I start purchasing replacements, those boxes will magically reappear.

I wanted to try the Clubman talcs, for body as well as the face, to help camoflage(sp?) the after-shave shine I've recently begun to sport since shaving with the Classic Cobra, thus my question about Clubman flesh-tinted talc. Thanks to your experience, maybe it's time to reconsider!

jr/john
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Unfortunately there seems to be something in the Clubman talc ( perhaps the iron oxide? ) that doesn't seem to agree with my skin. It's a pity as the stuff is easy to get, inexpensive, and I like the Clubman scent. Talc is a big deal with me, so I pay what I have to to get ones that I like. For my birthday ( today ) I received some of the Penhaligon's English Fern talc. It's my hands down favourite but it's now ridiculously expensive and I only use it on 'special occasions' ( ahem ). Normally, it's usually Yardley or Bronnley lavender. Both are a tad more 'feminine' smelling than I would prefer, but passable. The old C&E Lavender talc was fabulous but, of course, they had to screw it up by switching the base from real talc to corn starch and a bunch of chemicals...bah! I scronge the Yardley and Bronnley at T J Maxx, Marshalls, etc. On the rare occasions when they show up I hit several stores and buy up all I can. I do, however, use the Clubman Country Club shampoo exclusively now. Great scent, does not annoy my scalp, isn't that expensive, what's not to like? I'm on my third bottle of it now. It may be sacrilidge but I actually like it better that the legendary original; Pinaud's Elixer shampoo.
Regards,
Gordon
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

Happy Birthday Gordon!
Cheers,

Craig
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I have a bottle of Brut and was preparing to buy a bottle of Pinaud Clubman Classic; am I correct that they have very similar scents? If so, what is the Special Reserve like? I like Musk, Bay Rum, TOBS no. 74 Original and GFT Wellington. I'm about to pull the trigger on a Thater brush and would like to take advantage of Fendrihan's free shipping to load up on aftershaves; so far my list includes Harris Sandalwood and Captain's Choice Bay Rum. I'm looking for a third aftershave and would have liked to round out my purchase with GFT English Fern, but Fendrihan's doesn't carry it.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

I haven't experienced Brut, but did get a bottle of Clubman Special Reserve. It wasn't my cup of tea.
Gary

JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Gordon,

sorry the Clubman talc doesn't agree with you! from your intolerance to MWF/ lanolin, sounds like yours is a sensitive skin.. in our hobby/obsession, that is a particularly cruel affliction!!

I am almost positive I paid $ 15 for Yardley talc, purchased on-line from Cambridge Chemists.

Now Smallflower sells the 7 oz Yardley Talc for $ 10! If and when I decide to repurchase Yardley, it'll probably be from them.

Meanwhile, the CVS Clubman will be my choice, especially since there's a 25% off any/all CVS purchases coupon begging to be redeemd!

jr/John
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

John,
Maybe, but I doubt it, regarding Cambridge Chemists. I was in there a number of times in the late '90s and through the mid-2000s and I remember them selling the tins of Yardley talc for over $20 a pop. That Smallflower currently has them fo $10 is good news indeed!

Yeah, my skin is weird. All palm oil soaps seem to be a problem if I use them for any length of time. Chris in Philadelphia shares this issue and I think a couple of other members have mentioned similiar. But inexpensive tallow based soaps don't seem to cut it either leaving very little ( where there used to be many ) in the way of choice. Generally, lanolin and shea butter are problems as well but this past year, in desperation, I tried the Mitchell's bath soap again and this time, so far, it has been fine ( sigh of relief ). I'm also re-trying the Atkinsons ( Craig kindly sent me a sliver of their 'green' version ) and so far it too has been okay this time around.
Regards,
Gordon
Craig_From_Cincy

Gordon: Glad the Atkinsons is working out for you. I'm curious if you have ever tried Roberts BoroTalco, and if so how did it work for you?

John: Is the CVS talc real talcum, or is it cornstarch?
Cheers,

Craig
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Craig_From_Cincy wrote:Gordon: Glad the Atkinsons is working out for you. I'm curious if you have ever tried Roberts BoroTalco, and if so how did it work for you?

John: Is the CVS talc real talcum, or is it cornstarch?
Craig, the first ingredient is "talc."

FWIW, the following, in order, are the other crap listed:

zinc stearate, fragrance, benzyl salicylate, citronellal, geraniol,
hydroxycitronellal, limonene, linalool, red 27, zinc oxide

Interestingly, the presence of the red 27, which I discovered only after you asked about talc vs. cornstarch, may explain the pinkish tint recently noticed on my Jockey briefs, lol.

more info than needed??

Wish I had the Yardley Talc handy just to compare.

jr/John
Craig_From_Cincy

Thanks John. I'm impressed that an inexpensive store brand is using actual Talc. I'll pick some up.
Cheers,

Craig
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Craig, Yeah, I've used the BoroTalco. It was okay but smelled a bit too much like standard baby powder for my taste. I sure do wish that the old Mennen Talc was still available. It was inexpensive, one could find it anywhere, and to me it smelled a lot like the Trumpers Talc. Ah well....
Regards,
Gordon