NIVEA PRODUCTS : U.S. VS GERMANY SOURCED

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
JRTASTER

NIVEA PRODUCTS : U.S. VS GERMANY SOURCED

Post by JRTASTER »

Well, Nivea Sensitive After Shave Balm received a number of thumbs up in a separate thread on the best after shave products.

With a 20% off CVS coupon in hand, I was all set to pick up a bottle when.....I checked the Smallflower.com website where they offer a range
of Nivea products sourced directly from Germany. The German version costs about 10 bucks more, plus shipping,

Would like to know if any of you have used both the U.S. product AND the product from Germany and can discern any important differences
between the two versions. Aside from price, anything like performance/efficacy, fragrance, texture, after-use feel significantly separate the two?

My Clinique Post Shave Healer is on the way from Nordstrom's, but the Nivea product, at an affordable price, seemed like a good product against
which to compare the more expensive item.

Many thanks to all who can help!!

jr/John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
Craig_From_Cincy

Re: NIVEA PRODUCTS : U.S. VS GERMANY SOURCED

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

John, Here's the ingredient list and description for the German Nivea Sensitive Germany:
Imported from Germany! Light, soothing After Shave care for easily irritated skin. Designed with no alcohol and colorants to prevent the risk of irritations. Immediate Calming & Conditioning Care: Extra gentle formula with Chamomile, Vitamin E and Provitamin B5: Immediately calms skin and provides light moisture. Helps to prevent irritations. Supports the skin's natural protection system and helps to regenerate.

Ingredients: aqua, clycomethicone, glyceryl lanolate, panthenol, propylene glycol, isopropyl palmitatea, toocopheryl acetate, bisabolol, allantoin, hamamelis virginana, glycine soja, calendula officinalisi, citric acid, triceteareth-4 phosphate, sodium carbomer, phenoxiethanol, ethylparaben, methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, parfum.
And the American Nivea sensitive:
Water, Glycerin, Cyclopentasiloxane, Panthenol, Distarch Phosphate, Isopropyl Palmitate, Cyclohexasiloxane, Triceteareth 4 Phosphate, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Bisabolol, Propylene Glycol, Chamomilla Recutita Flower Extract (Matricaria), Glycine Soja Oil (Soybean), Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Allantoin, Citric Acid, Ethoxydiglycol, Carbomer, Sodium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben.
Cheers,

Craig
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I have always been under the impression that the Nivea sensitive cream from Europe was the re-branding of Florena -- a fabulous budget cream that performed incredibly well. I have never tried the Nivea version, but loved the Florena and went through it a lot when I could get it for a few bucks at our local Loblaws and Great Canadian Superstore (which is really Loblaws under a different name -- not sure what the branding strategy is there, but that's another thread, methinks :wink: )
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Craig, Wendell,

Thanks for your help!

Not being a chemist, can't tell from the ingredients list what performance differences might be.

The only familiar ingredient in the Euro=version not in the US brand which happens to jump out at me is Witch Hazel.

Perhaps my concern is misplaced... the Nivea most mentioned in the thread asking about favorite after shave balms
was undoubtedly product purchased here in the US, so that's the one I'll end up buying...for about US $ 7 at CVS,
after 20% discount.

jr/John
jr/John
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

John, I have tried both the Euro and North American versions of the Sensitive Balm and Replenishing Balm and could not really discern much difference at all. We should keep in mind that the EU does have some differences in their product labeling requirements which may account for slight variations in the ingredient list.

When here at home I get my Nivea at either Target or Walgreens and wouldn't pay the higher price for the Euro version which is available at Merz here in Chicago.

Good stuff all round regardless of your source.
Good shaving,

Gary
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Gary,

yes, thanks for your input

your point is pretty much where I landed as well

the extra $$ just don't seem worth it

I saw your earlier post about the pros and cons of being so near the Merz Apothecary. now that we've moved
to Cape Cod, we are not near anything, lol

except cape cod bay and the beautiful Atlantic...few retail temptations!
jr/John
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Cape Cod you say, ummm....let me think about that, would I trade Merz for some nice "by the shore" fresh seafood...now that's one to ponder a bit! :D

All the best!
Good shaving,

Gary
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Gary,

I lived in Florida for 2 years and had to catch my own seafood dinners or pay exhorbitant restaurant prices.
Here on the cape really fresh seafood is expensive but not out of reach. And fish stores abound.

Last weekend. fresh lobsters were on sale for $ 8.99/lb. Wow!

This weekend my wife tried a paella recipe; she hates most shellfish (except lobster of course) so she made a separate
batch in which she included mussels and "littleneck" clams for me, It was fabulous!

I overbought them however so last night I had the leftover shellfish, baked in white wine, butter, garlic and olive oil.
Served them with the "sauce" over angel hair pasta. Wonderful, tho the house still reeks of garlic.

Some fish stores will ship, but perhaps something is lost if packed in dry ice or whatever. If you'd like to try this option,
please let me know.

Bluefish season will start soon and I'm tempted to brave the mosquitoes and no-see-ums and do some surf casting
in Cape Cod Bay. Before my father-in-law and brother-in-law passed, both very young, we owned an 18' runabout
and fished from it all the time. Sure miss that!

Is it ok that I hijacked my own thread??

All the best!!

jr/John
jr/John