MWF bath soap

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
brothers

MWF bath soap

Post by brothers »

I got 4 of the large round bars from Connaught a few weeks back. This is nice bath soap. Makes a suitable lather, smells nice, it's a hard bar and seems to be lasting a long time. The scent is not the same as the shaving soap. But it is pleasant and mild. A very nice product. I've got other bath soaps I need to get used up, but I think I will go with the MWF for the long term when it comes time to place another order. The price is very reasonable. This is a good value in a bath soap.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
churchilllafemme

Re: MWF bath soap

Post by churchilllafemme »

I have a bar of it that I have used for several weeks when showering, and it appears that it will last nearly forever.
_______
John
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I have a deep appreciation for anything from Mitchell's. Surprise. :)
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Well, IMO, Mitchell's is one of the best bath soaps still being made ( I use their traditional ones that come wrapped in the tan heavy paper ). Of course, I'm biased in a way because I just can't abide palm oil based bath soaps and there are so few of the higher quality tallow based ones left. There used to be quite a few bath soaps that I favoured; Floris Rose Geranium and Claus Porto Almond to name a couple, but over the last 5-6 years they have all switched over to palm oil leaving me with only Mitchell's and Atkinson's ( the SMN being just too expensive for me to use ). I used to not be able to use Mitchell's due to the relatively high amount of lanolin in it, but for some reason, these days it doesn't seem to bother me, which is good news as I always thought that it was an excellent soap. Personally I would not consider it inexpensive however.
Regards,
Gordon
Ken

Post by Ken »

I'm currently on my last bars of the tallow-based Vinolia and the tallow-based Floris 89. When Floris discontinued, for a time, the 89 line a number of years ago, I picked up 12 bars of the 89 soap for a song and, having used them sparingly, am now on my last one. To me it was a great combination of the 89 fragrance and soap that produced a particularly creamy sensation (smell and feel). I last ordered Vinolia from the Vermont Country store and received one bar of tallow-based soap and one bar of the veggie stuff. I used the veggie first and did not care for it. The tallow-based version is excellent. I even called VCS and asked whether they might have more tallow bars,but they did not.

Ken
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Mitchells is good stuff though a little pricey, wish I could locate some on sale.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

The MWF sells for about $4.13 US plus shipping from Connaught UK for the large size bath bar, which is moderately reasonable considering the competition. They get $7.50 for a big bar of bath soap in the men's section of Bath and Body Works. On the other hand we can get a bar of Yardley bath soap from the dollar store or Walgreens for somewhere around a dollar. It's all relative, of course. Finding MWF on sale even cheaper than that would definitely be a good deal.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I got like 6 bars of MWF bath soap from some website, and paid a bit like $3.60 shipped. Have 4 bars left, and they last decently. No faster than many triple milled soaps. Love the scent, and wow, Gordon, that Rose Geranium soap was the bee's knees - it had a certain creaminess to it which was luxury and the smell, well, old school money came to mind.

If anyone is good at the search function, see if you can find the website I got it from and append it here?
gruffydd3

Post by gruffydd3 »

MWF bath soap is my choice 5 or 6 days a week.

Gordon,
There is one other tallow choice. Lightfoot's pine soap. I enjoy using this once a week or so. The best price I've found is from Shoebox Shave Shop.

Rick
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Having developed a peculiar and very itchy skin rash, the dermatologist recommended my using only Dove or Basis
bath soaps over the body (except for underarms and groin where a soap like Dial might be permissible). My decision
was to stick with dove/Basis all over as using two different soaps just didn't seem practical.

Having used MWF Liquid hand soap and liking it, I am now considering giving their bath/body soap a shot, considering
Gordon's LACK of reaction to MWF's lanolin-based formula. If it doesn't work out for me, perhaps it will get a second
chance in the "guest" bath upstairs.

Will let you know how it works out.

jr/John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

John, I have psoriasis and don't seem to be affected by soap, and never really got much benefit from the coal-tar based soaps.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Sorry chaps, but neither SWMBO nor I like the MWF bath soap. I purchased two bars from Fendrihan and when SWMBO first used it she called me into the bath room to express her displeasure with my purchase. Neither of us like how it leaves our skin feeling and the scent is just so so. Sadly disappointing because I like the shaving soap. We're back to using our good old standby, Cussons Imperial Leather (3 bath bars for £1 when we're in England) interspersed with the occasional bar of L' Occitane.
Bryan
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Well, we always need hand soap in the kitchen.
Regards,
Squire
changabang

Post by changabang »

Squire wrote:Mitchells is good stuff though a little pricey, wish I could locate some on sale.

This. And it doesn't last nearly as long for me as it does the rest of you. Sigh.
I've pretty much used Yardley Lavender at a buck a bar as my staple lately. Sometimes
Brut with the original scent, or sometimes a well known shaving soap I don't particularly like.
James Nicks
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

Rufus wrote:We're back to using our good old standby, Cussons Imperial Leather (3 bath bars for £1 when we're in England)
Imperial Leather has been in the bathroom of every house I've ever lived in, be that living with my parents, grandparents or my own home. It's only £0.17 a bar if you know where to look!

I've dabbled with others - D R Harris, Vinolia, Mitchell's Wool Fat, Shield, Palmolive, Pears but Imperial Leather is THE one with maybe an occasional Wright's Coal Tar (now coal tar free) thrown in here and there.
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

joe mcclaine wrote: Imperial Leather has been in the bathroom of every house I've ever lived in, be that living with my parents, grandparents or my own home. It's only £0.17 a bar if you know where to look!
Lucky dog. I really like the stuff but not enough for the US price.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I just ordered a couple bars of the Cussons Original at ukgoods.com for $1.85/bar. Been a while since I used it and can't recall what the old prices were.
Ron
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Rick, Lightfoot's Pine bath soap was too 'strong' for me....kinda dried out my skin. Sadly, Cusson's Imperial Leather had a similiar effect ( although not as intensely ). I love the scent, but especially now that it too is palm oil based I have little reason to try it again.

John, Hope it works out. Dove and Basis are often recommended by dermatologists but then again they often recommend various shaving gels too. Fact is, I doubt that most of them realize that there is more available on the market than what is stocked in Walgreens. Years ago I used both Dove and Basis and neither went over very well with my skin, but the high quality tallow based triple milled soaps generally did. I first discovered the old ( Swiss Mettler made ) C&E bath soaps and then went on from there to discover Bronnley, Claus Porto, etc. etc.
Regards,
Gordon
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Although an admitted MWF apologetic, I must also confess to keeping a stock of Cussion's Imperial Leather as well as Yardley English Lavender. Our Cussion's supply is running low, time for another trip back 'ome (scheduled for next fall), when I fear I'll be enlisted to take an empty suitcase to be filled with many delights of the island nation. :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

I thought the MWF performed great. Excellent lather, no drying or adverse reactions and it was very firm which lasted a good while, even in the hand size. I found the scent to be a generic soap scent which bored me personally.

If you have any Italian grocers in town, check out the stuff below. It is a neroli based scent with a nice strong kick. Also, probably makes the creamiest lather of all bath soaps I've used. It is 3.99, or close to that, a bar locally here in Ottawa as well 8)

http://www.oliocarli.co.uk/eng/cat/cat9.htm