D.R. Harris Golden Shampoo

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
rsp1202

D.R. Harris Golden Shampoo

Post by rsp1202 »

Pluses: I've been using this daily for a week and have to say it's a great alternative to the Woody's Daily Shampoo that's been a staple for me for the last couple years. A nice, subtle, floral-kind of scent that doesn't over- or underwhelm. Lathers up easily; concentrated so you don't have to use a lot. Rinses clean and leaves (my) hair smooth and conditioned-feeling; no overdrying problems at all -- something that usually comes up to bite me after a while. For guys who use Pinaud Clubman shampoo, you should give this a try.

Minuses: It's definitely "golden," as in worth its weight in gold. I bought the 100ml, forgetting how small that would be. It won't last long at the rate I use it. Straight Razor Designs sells the 250ml for almost double the cost, so it likely will become cost-prohibitive for me before long -- but this shampoo might be so worth it. Again, you don't need much to work up a good lather, and for those who shampoo only a few times a week it's not that bad a deal.

I was prepared for disappointment since I'm wired that way, but am instead pleasantly surprised. Ain't shaving/grooming grand?
Ron
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: D.R. Harris Golden Shampoo

Post by Squire »

Very good notes Ron, thanks for posting.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ron, Thanks for the post. DRH Golden Shampoo is one of those products that I considered buying many times...but never did. From your report it sounds like it would probably work well for me, but as you say, it IS quite expensive and since the Pinaud Country Club shampoo is not, well, I'll most likely just stick with that until I win the lottery...sigh...
Regards,
Gordon
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

I've always liked the Lemon Cream Shampoo from DRH, not least because it has such an unusual texture (like a paste). I think I might give Golden Shampoo a try next time. Like Gordon, I've seen it many times on the shelves at Harris's, but never actually picked it up.

Gareth
brothers

Post by brothers »

Ron, in the past I was always curious about the DRH shampoos (and Mitchell's too for that matter), but because of the cost plus shipping I never got any. The description you give is informative, and I know I'd like it. However, all of the good points you mention also apply to the Pinaud Clubman Shampoo I've been using for several months. It doesn't cost much and it lasts a very long time. If something should ever happen and I can't get the Clubman any longer, I'll try to remember to check out the DRH shampoo creams - lemon and coconut.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I liked the idea of the lemon cream from an earlier Gareth review, but since I shampoo daily thought the Golden a little easier on the hair. It's actually lasting longer than I first thought it would; it doesn't require a big dollop, so I've been able to stretch it. Coming from a long-term relationship with the Pinaud, I find the Golden a step up, actually, and much prefer its scent. Right now I think I'd get another bottle when the time comes. But for you guys who aren't forced to use it every day, the Pinaud will certainly do the trick. And the Harris cream still reads as an excellent choice.
Ron
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Just to stir the pot, did anyone check out the 100 ml prices at Connaught Shaving: 5.25 pound sterling, which works out to about
$ 8.25, plus shipping, at today' s rates, if my online currency calculator is correct. That appears to be about $2.00 cheaper than SRD.

Realize SRD offers free domestic shipping, but if your ordering some other stuff from Connaught anyway, maybe it's worth considering.

Just a thought...I am using Mystic Waters shampoo bar and unlikely to change anytime soon, so it's your money I'm spending.

jr/John

p.s. I have tried, and really liked the DRH Arlington Shampoo Bar, but talk about expensive...wow
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

JRTASTER wrote: I have tried, and really liked the DRH Arlington Shampoo Bar, but talk about expensive
We're worth it John.
Regards,
Squire