Brylcream, A Little Dab Will Do Ya

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
Ouchmychin

Brylcream, A Little Dab Will Do Ya

Post by Ouchmychin »

Over 60 years ago a new product hit the market. It was Brylcream and the ad was as in my title. Now after using nothing but conditioner after a shower for many years I have been having management problems and I recalled it. Found a tube at Walmart and tried it. I am here to report that with restraint it does what I recall. Hair lays flat until dry and then brush or comb restores a perfectly natural look with management to boot. One of the best discoveries in recent years. And it is dirt cheap.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
joe mcclaine

Re: Brylcream, A Little Dab Will Do Ya

Post by joe mcclaine »

I used to wear Brylcream in the 80's until my hair decided to go AWOL.

My son (13) swears by it now, and not the modern versions of it, I'm talking about the original cream in the red pot.

Surprised how much it smells like Eau De Cologne ... 4711, Acqua Di Parma Colonia etc.
SRD

Post by SRD »

Use it every day.
Dave
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Good Lord, they still make this stuff?
Regards,
Squire
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Nice thing about it is that I only need to wet my hair and it behaves very well when I brush in the morning and normally doesn't need further attention all day unless I sleep on it.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Daily user for at least the last several years. Used it as a boy, found it again several years later, a tube lasts me a little more than a year. My barber says my hair and scalp are great and to not change a thing.
Good shaving,

Gary
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

Another Brylcreem user here. Great stuff...use it every day. And hey guys--let's get the spelling right.
Rich
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

exactly....whats an a here or there between friends anyway??? LOL

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

p.s. if i opened up a jar of brylcreem now i know for sure that i would have an instantaneous flashback to the 60's and I might never want to come back!!!

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

My father used Brylcream every day as far back as I can remember. He tried to get me to use it, but I never did grasp its intricacies. I much preferred Vitalis, but today I use Body Shop gel.
Bryan
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I remember the old Vitalis commercial cautioning against 'using that greasy kid stuff'.
Regards,
Squire
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Yep, that had to be adopted when I was in Jr. high school. We all switched to Wildroot Cream Oil because it contained Jaborandi. Great commercials. I don't know what radio show they sponsored but the singing for their commercial break went: Oh, you better get Wildroot Cream Oil Charlie. Start using it today. You'll find that you will have a tough time Charlie, keeping all the gals away. That and a phoney wave right over the forehead just before leaving for school. Brillcreem came out later (at least national marketing on the radio.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

I was in the 6th grade, used Brylcreem, then Wildroot, then some kind of pink stuff, maybe the name of it was Butch Wax, and finally, Murray's Pomade. After that I think I went to Vitalis, my current preference. Thank goodness I still have hair to put it on.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

Brylcream...Brylcreem...Brillcreem.
Lov it...love it...luv it. :D
Rich
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

Squire wrote:Good Lord, they still make this stuff?
.yes !! ...at the cheesecake factory ,along with Godrej creams !
Attachments
port545.jpg
port545.jpg (76.08 KiB) Viewed 16223 times
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

3 plus years straight everyday user of Tabac Hair Cream. Love it
Mike
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Squire,
If you go to any Walmart they will have Brylcreem and Vitalis on the shelf. In the old black and white tubes.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

How do these products do with pillow cases? Do they stain them? Which of these are unscented? I seem to remember Brylcreem and Vitalis having an unpleasant scent.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
brothers

Post by brothers »

Jason, I use Vitalis year in and year out, really like the subtle scent, and nothing on the pillow case. It's not the oily greasy stinky stuff that was common 50 years ago or more. I haven't used Brylcreem since I was in the 6th grade and trying to look cool, so I can't comment on that product.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Jason, if you use just a dab of Brylcreem on damp hair, the greasiness dries away leaving your hair sort of stuck down. Run a comb or brush through it when dry and it just seems natural and well conditioned, i.e. it behaves itself. A stiff wind will still mess it up. I have no problem with pillowcase stains, but we use colored or patterned sheet sets. I havn't really noticed the scent. Try either product for a few dollars and just give it away if you don't like it.
Ouchmychin (Pete)