Geo. F. Trumper Moisturizing Lotion - Mini-Review

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
churchilllafemme

Geo. F. Trumper Moisturizing Lotion - Mini-Review

Post by churchilllafemme »

I have occasional bouts of dry skin on my chin and neck and need to use moisturizers; otherwise my aftershaves become irritating. The most recent one I tried is Trumper Moisturizing Lotion. This comes in a 200ml soft plastic bottle, with a little symbol on the back label implying that it should last 12 months.

The lotion is supposed to be fragrance free, and it truly is. I could detect no scent. The label says, "As natural oils are used in this preparation there can be colour variation," but when applied the lotion does not feel oily at all, and it washes off the hands easily with plain water. It is relatively thin and is absorbed very quickly by the skin. For me it moisturizes and soothes for about 30 minutes maximum, after which I need to consider reapplication. If I used it as often as I really need it, it certainly would not last anywhere close to 12 months.

Overall I am not highly impressed with this lotion. It is fairly good, but nothing to recommend, especially at its retail price of $38 plus shipping. Definitely not a bargain.

Ratings:
Consistency - 7/10
Soothing quality - 4/10
Moisturizing quality - 3/10
Scent - N/A
Container - 6/10
Cost - 1/10
Overall rating - 4/10

ImageImage
_______
John
Craig_From_Cincy

Re: Geo. F. Trumper Moisturizing Lotion - Mini-Review

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

Thanks for the review. It sounds rather expensive for the so-so performance. Is there anything that you've tried that you like better?
Cheers,

Craig
churchilllafemme

A couple that I have liked are Jergens Ultra Healing Lotion and Mitchell's Wool Fat Hand & Body Lotion. Their moisturizing property seems to last much longer.
_______
John
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

John, my understanding is that the 12 month symbol is on the bottle to indicate that it should be used within that time frame.....it doesn't necessarily mean there is enough there to last 12 months.

I've used this lotion on and off for a few years and have always been impressed by it, though it IS cosiderably less expensive here in the UK . I find it provides just the right amount of after shave soothing, but for someone with dryer skin it might not be enough. It also works great when worked in with a small dab of one of the Skin Foods, and I do like how quickly it absorbs into the skin.

Gareth
churchilllafemme

Gareth wrote:John, my understanding is that the 12 month symbol is on the bottle to indicate that it should be used within that time frame.....it doesn't necessarily mean there is enough there to last 12 months.
Gareth
Ah, got it. Thanks, Gareth.
_______
John
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Yes, it all depends on one's needs and preferences. For me, the Trumper Moisturizer is better than most BECAUSE it isn't very heavy. I like that it is fairly quickly absorbed and does not linger as much as do many 'after shave balms'. Then again, I'm not really looking for a 'moisturizer' per se, but rather just a soothing and discreet aftershave product. For that purpose even the Trumpers is a tad heavy but is closer to what I'm looking for than many similar products. For serious 'moisturizing' I'm sure Mitchell's or whatever would be better.
Regards,
Gordon