Home Made Hair Tonic

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
Ouchmychin

Home Made Hair Tonic

Post by Ouchmychin »

I have found a way to make my own hair product that contains no anti-oxidants or preservatives normally found in creamy personal products. I use shaving oil. Used to use Shave Secret in a smell dripper bottle that I got at Walmart. When that ran out I refilled it with white mineral oil which seemed to be about the same thing but odorless. Now what I did yesterday was to apply the shaving oil as usual by squeezing 6 drops into the palm of one hand, rubbing them together and rubbing into my beard before adding shaving cream. This time, instead of adding shaving cream, I added 6 more drops of oil and rubbing my hands together and then adding a small puddle of Pinaud Eau de Portugal hair tonic into one and rubbing again before applying it to my hair. Then brushed as usual. It relaxed nicely and stayed nice most of the day. The advantage of this is that mineral oil is unscented and has no preservatives. The hair tonic needs none because the high alcohol content preserves it I believe. It is scented but I like that and it lasts only about an hour. I plan to just add more tonic this morning to prevent the gradual build up of oil in my hair. Maybe some of you adventurist shavers might like this.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
JRTASTER

Re: Home Made Hair Tonic

Post by JRTASTER »

Pete, I have used a similar trick. The scent of Pinaud eau de Portugal is great for me, but like you, I found
it lacking as a hair control product. So mineral oil OR Castor oil was added to a bottle of EdP; shaken
vigorously, then applied to the hair.
If the hair control efficacy wasn't sufficient, a few more drops of oil is added, until the proportion seemed
about right. Too "greasy," add back some Pinaud. Nothing scientific, just tinkering.
When I ran out of the secret mixture, I switched to Lucky Tiger 3-Oil Hair Tonic; the scent wasn't entirely
to my liking, certainly as compared to the Eau de Portugal, but hair control seemed right on.
Recently, my hair prep of choice has been Mystic Waters Hair Oil; ok but no great scent. Just 2-3 drops
and all day non-greasy control.
Now your post has me thinking...the hair control properties of Mystic Waters AND the fragrance of
the Pinaud. Hmmmm!
Igor, back to the laboratories.
jr/John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
brothers

Post by brothers »

I wouldn't mind experimenting, but the Vitalis is hard to beat. This post of yours has got me thinking that maybe I could substitute Clubman after shave for the Eau de Portugal and see how it works as a hair product. Something to think about.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Clubman might work, but for some reason it is one of the few classes of scents that I don't care for. Years ago it was Brut that was very similar if I recall and I never cared for that either. Before Brut there was another but memory fails me.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Curiously, I have gone in the opposite direction - using modified hair tonics as aftershave preparations. My favourite for this purpose is still Eucris - the paraffin oil takes about twenty minutes to absorb but it leaves the skin with a dull gleam and I haven't had to put any steroids on the seborrhoea for months. Lately I took a bottle of Taylor's Eau de Portugal hair dressing (alcohol, water, orange oil) and added some jojoba oil. After shaking it goes on nicely but is still too alcoholic - makes your eyes water from the fumes, but it is a lighter preparation than the Eucris (which is strange as the jojoba sinks to the bottom and the paraffin rises to the top - probably because the Eucris is water-based and the Eau de Portugal is alcohol-based. I believe the paraffin to be a heavier oil than the jojoba).

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

Ouchmychin wrote:Clubman might work, but for some reason
Would you just go to ebay and buy of bottle of this and be done with it!? My God man!
Attachments
$T2eC16dHJGwFFY9CkL46BRnjTnP0nQ~~60_1.JPG
$T2eC16dHJGwFFY9CkL46BRnjTnP0nQ~~60_1.JPG (16.85 KiB) Viewed 3480 times
brothers

Post by brothers »

OK, just so we're on an even playing field, I did a hair oil experiment this morning myself. I found a little bottle of Shave Secret shaving oil in the drawer, so I put 6 drops of it in the palm of my hand, then I added a generous splash of Clubman after shave, rubbed it between my palms and then used it as hair oil. A couple of times during the morning as I was out and about, I caught a very mild hint of a fragrance, and it was just fine. Maybe I'll do that again sometime, what do you think?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444