Hair dressings, a couple questions.

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
The_Metatron

Hair dressings, a couple questions.

Post by The_Metatron »

Long story of weird connections, goes something like this:
  • I have new eyeglasses, they are RayBans, and their style is drawn from men's glasses from the 1960s.
  • My wife convinced me to go to the boys' school halloween dinner.
    • This requires me to go as something or someone.
    • My new eyeglasses gave me an idea...
  • My idea is to go in the more or less standard uniform of the 1960s NASA engineer or flight controller.
I have some research material, a picture of Gene Krantz' White Team at mission control:

Do you notice the sculpted hair of those that have need of a comb, that is? I figure they were using some sort of hair dressing, probably a petroleum jelly based dressing.

Accordingly, I now have a tub of Royal Crown hair dressing, which I will use to put my hair like a proper NASA engineer:

I tried a small, very small, dab of that stuff the other day. And, I can tell you it really does work well. It makes hair stay right where you put it.

I have a few suspicions and questions about its use though:

I suspect you never want to use too much. Probably the minimum that will do what one wants from it.

Washing it out seems like it may be a problem. As far as I know, not too many soaps cut petroleum jelly. I read a couple comments on blogs where people remove it with olive oil, then wash out the olive oil. This sounds, well, complicated. For some years now, I have been only washing my hair with water. I think if I use this stuff regularly, that will have to change.

Did these guys wash it out each day, do you think? If they didn't, what about their pillow cases? Or, their hats? In my case, I ride a bike to work. The inside of my bike helmet would get disgusting in no time, I suspect.

The stuff gives a good look, but getting it out may make it not worth the benefit. Does anyone here use this stuff regularly? How do you manage it?
"The secret of steel has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle. You must learn its discipline. For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts... This you can trust."
F.W. Fitch

Re: Hair dressings, a couple questions.

Post by F.W. Fitch »

4890869677_a7e3633955.jpg
4890869677_a7e3633955.jpg (138.74 KiB) Viewed 6697 times
Hello to you. Many, many American men used Lucky Tiger 'Butch' wax during that time. It was very popular, and common in drug stores or barber shops. It is still made by Lucky Tiger to this very day. Other products that were universally-used by many gents were: Lucky Tiger '3 Purpose' hair lotion/tonic and Jeris hair dressing with oil. Another was Southern Rose hair oil. All these are also made to this very day. But those last three are a liquid medium. One you may be able to more easily obtain over there is "Black & White" pomade. It originated from the same city as the Royal Crown dressing (Memphis) that you possess. They have a light version that might be what you're aiming for i.e. less messy. Master krew comb is one more that would be ideal. There are a few more besides but, the aforementioned ones, are more than ample to suit your needs.

Fitch
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks Fitch! Lucky Tiger Butch Wax was my 6th grade ticket to becoming a teenager. It held my "boogie" haircut in place no matter how many girls touched it (I wish!) and how hard the wind blew. That was/is? good stuff.

Metratron - do we get a picture of you in full costume? :D My only response to your situation would be to shampoo vigorously, maybe even twice, and forget about it!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Blast you, Fitch, and your recommendations! Being a pomade lover you sent me searching for the ingredients of this stuff. And well, it's really not far off from the modern Yardley Pomade, which I have, thankfully.

I like the Yardley so I think I'd like the Lucky Tiger as well BUT it's a "once in a great while" thing for me as it's petroletum based which means that it does wash out of the hair easily so I don't think I'll be ordering it. My mainstay is Sauve's Groom & Clean which, to me, works better in the sense that when I come home from the office in the Evening I can just wash it out of my hair because it's totally water soluble. Love the scent too which is a plus.

When I use the Yardley it's a day I plan to shower at the end of and I'll use a harder shampoo like, Pinaud Elixir or even Fitch's (if I had any) and it comes right out. Otherwise it's too much hassle. Good recommendation though!

If I can make a recommendation of my own (besides the aforementioned Groom & Clean by Suave - available on most grocery store's shelves nationwide) it would be Grant's Golden Pomade (available by mail order only from a website) as it's the reincarnation of the Pinaud pomade from about a decade ago that Classic used to sell. It's about triple the price of the Pinaud but it works excellently and it's also water soluble so with a quick rinse it will wash right out at the end of the day.

Hope that helps.

Chris
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

61004.jpg
61004.jpg (43.46 KiB) Viewed 6664 times
Hi Chris. I'd never heard of the Grant's ,so thanks for mentioning. One more that I want to try at some point is by Imperial Barbers out of L.A. They have a few different ones, priced similarly to the price you quoted. I've used their Bergamot after shave all Summer, and it's a steal @$10 for 200 ml. Another old timey one is by the barber suppliers Gabels. They have a Lemon pomade I've always wondered about. Have a nice evening and to the original poster: "Houston...copy"
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

F.W. Fitch wrote:
61004.jpg
Hi Chris. I'd never heard of the Grant's ,so thanks for mentioning. One more that I want to try at some point is by Imperial Barbers out of L.A. They have a few different ones, priced similarly to the price you quoted. I've used their Bergamot after shave all Summer, and it's a steal @$10 for 200 ml. Another old timey one is by the barber suppliers Gabels. They have a Lemon pomade I've always wondered about. Have a nice evening and to the original poster: "Houston...copy"
Fitch, looking at the ingredients list for the Imperial as listed on Amazon it is nearly identical to the Grant's so it's probably good stuff. My guess is they only differ in scent and price (the Imperial is a better value for the money if they are the same as I suspect). I think Three Flowers offers a version of this as well which is also nearly identical in ingredients and even cheaper (nearly the same price as the old Pinaud version AND the packaging looks very similar to the old Pinaud to boot) so it represents possibly the best value as it's the cheapest I've seen yet.

My hunch is that there is a manufacturer that produces these for pretty much all the purveyors in this variety with only slight variations among ingredients so it's the same thing just different scent and price. I really liked the old Pinaud but the Grant's is really nice as it has a more traditional almond scent so in that respect I like it better. It gets stiff yet never flaky like the goo they sell these days as hair hold. This formula is always sort of pliant and combable. Of course, it washes right out with water at the end of the day so that's a plus for me.

The Gabels lemon pomade sounds intriguing as the ingredients list I've found indicate that is the same as the Yardley etc but lemon scented instead of lavender - so it's essentially lemon scented petroletum, so maybe one day. I enjoyed Gabels drops of lime aftershave but not enough to continue with it as it's a very weak and fleeting scent.

Well, anyway, great conversation on these and hope you have a pleasant Evening.

Chris
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I never knew men went back to pomades. In the late 40's and early 50's we used Wildroot Cream oil with lanolin and Jaborandi. Then, sometime in the 50's Brylcreme was popular. Butch wax was used to grease up crewcuts as I recall.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

Here is another classic one from that era. Do you remember Stacomb Pete? It had the same look as the Lucky Butch Wax. You guys should really seek out the Master krew comb, as the ingredients are a bit different & non greasy. Lastly, that's the Denver Broncos helmet from circa. 1960. Why the hell not!? I like it is why...crew cuts underneath them and all!
Attachments
hpkx3h1jga92tglyhcertjsxc.gif
hpkx3h1jga92tglyhcertjsxc.gif (7.84 KiB) Viewed 6544 times
$T2eC16RHJIkE9qU3kWfbBRm4FsVmYw~~60_57.jpg
$T2eC16RHJIkE9qU3kWfbBRm4FsVmYw~~60_57.jpg (409.6 KiB) Viewed 6544 times
$T2eC16VHJH8E9qSEWJvfBRm4FoTKbQ~~60_57.JPG
$T2eC16VHJH8E9qSEWJvfBRm4FoTKbQ~~60_57.JPG (217.45 KiB) Viewed 6544 times
brothers

Post by brothers »

Good morning Mr. Fitch! We knew you had something in the mysterious realms of good stuff from the good ol' days. :D Hey, no offense, of course, but that caricature of a buckin' bronco looks like he's had his bell rung a few times. And I like it too!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Barry

Post by Barry »

I'm a big fan of Grant's Golden Brand. I also have his medium-hold with the "Royal Hawaiian" scent. It's nice as well but I think the original with the almond scent is the best for my hair.

Uppercut is a great choice but the scent is a little stronger than Grant's in my opinion.

I prefer the lightly scented pomades. Layrite works well but I found the vanilla scent to be overpowering at times. A few people even commented about it. My sister said that the scent reminded her of "those guys who stand on the street selling the little vials of scented oil."
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I just googled Staycomb hail control and got only two mentions of it. One listing gave dates of 1899 to 1960 for it. The other was an effort at college humor by the 1925 class of Gouche college in Nebraska (I believe). It had a listing of letters between Sigmund Freud and faculty members and a list of advertising ads by faculty members One ad was for Staycomb. Nice read to show how quaint and simple college life was in 1925
Ouchmychin (Pete)
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

To Metatron

Your initial question concerned washing (petroleum based) Royal Crown out of your hair.

May I suggest first cutting the grease with Pennzoil. The detergent in motor oil will cut the grease. Then follow up with a second washing using your preferred shampoo. If you smell like motor oil, a third washing with shampoo should do the trick.

Best wishes and good luck.
Barry

Post by Barry »

I recently purchased Admiral pomade. I've used it 3x so far and I like it. I might switch from Grant's to this but I'm not sure yet. Either way, it's a winner.

Texture wise it's a smooth and somewhat thick gel-like pomade. It's not gummy, rubbery, super firm, or heavy like some of the other water-based pomades out there. But it's also not like a jelly either.

I'd say it has a medium hold and dries somewhat hard but not overly stiff. I wear a cap and was able to re-style my hair after taking the cap off. So, there was no hard-shell like hat head. It has a coconut/vanilla scent, I think. The scent is not cloying but it's definitely there. What I like most about Grant's Original is that it has a clean, almond scent that's hard to detect. Some of the pomades have an overpowering candle/scented oil aroma that I can't stand and I'm glad that Admiral isn't in that category. You definitely won't smell like a box of cheap cupcakes after you apply it. However, you will detect the coconut/vanilla scent.

Edit: I just ordered Daimon Barber pomade. According to some reviews it has a light floral scent. I'll post some notes about it as well.