SIMPSON AFTER SHAVE BALM VS CLINIQUE

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
JRTASTER

SIMPSON AFTER SHAVE BALM VS CLINIQUE

Post by JRTASTER »

Since Gordon and others turned me on Clinique for Men Post Shave Healer, it's been my go to for virtually every one of my shaves.
It has been a terrific performer for me in every way.... overall efficacy in soothing and healing, scentless, light, easily absorbed....
just about everything I could want.
So... why am I so curious about the Simpson after shave balm?? Well in the SOTD posts it seems to be mentioned more frequently.
No one has offered rave reviews, but nothing negative either. So just how good is it, say compared to the Clinique PSH??
Comparisons and comments solicited and appreciated. Not saying I'd switch, but maybe nice to have a second product just for variety!
Thanks,
jr?john
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: SIMPSON AFTER SHAVE BALM VS CLINIQUE

Post by Squire »

John since you're in a position to make the comparison why don't you try it and tell us.
Regards,
Squire
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Squire wrote:John since you're in a position to make the comparison why don't you try it and tell us.
MMMM, should have seen that coming!
Perhaps if no one else takes up the gauntlet, I will do just that!
jr/John
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

John, Yep, it seems like it may be up to you ( chuckle ). My days of 'experimenting' are well over and I'll only even try a 'new' product if gents here whom I respect insist that I should. Let us know.
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Do it for science John, or for the greater good, think of posterity.
Regards,
Squire
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

John, I have the Simpson Skin Food as opposed to the balm so I don;t know if this will be helpful, but here are my opinions. The short version: Myeh, especially for $35.

The longer version: The product is moderate in weight and absorbs readily. There is a slight tackiness for a few minutes but that is soon gone. However, this is definitely not a product Gordon would like- far too heavy for him. The product is "unscented" and the scent is okay if you like the smell of drugstore hand cream. But it goes away quickly enough, so no real harm. As for skin treatment, it's middle of the road. I've used worse, but I've used a lot better. Especially for the money- at $35 the Skin Food is definitely overpriced. Thus the "myeh". If you want something heavier than a splash like Pink or Burt's Bees Rosewater, without a scent, that absorbs quickly and don't mid spending a little coin, then I recommend Castle Forbes Pre-shave used as an aftershave. It is truly exceptional and my go-to for cold weather. Plus it comes in a very nice glass bottle.

Hope this helps a bit.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Chris,
Helps a lot, so thanks!
I had ordered the AS Balm from QED, so I'll give that a try when it arrives. but my expectations are lowered a lot considering your
experience.
The Clinique Post Shave Healer has been terrific for me and I wasn't looking for a full-time replacement for it, merely a good back-
up.
Your suggestion of the CF pre-shave is really intriguing, however, so as long as I'm taking one hit for the team, might well take a
second. Thanks again for sharing your experience!
John
jr/John
brothers

Post by brothers »

John, you're a stand-up guy! Might as well go "whole-hog", as they say down on the farm. Got me interested, once Castle Forbes comes into the picture.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Squire wrote:Do it for science John, or for the greater good, think of posterity.
Actually, Squire, it's my posterior I'm concerned with, once SWMBO discovers yet another
shave goods parcel has arrived at the Post Office.
Gary,
Although West Coast Shaving carries a TSA size (one ounce) of the CF Pre-Shave for $16, it
may not be large enough to provide a fair trial. The full size may have to wait a bit, probably
until after Tax Day, when Uncle Sam will let me know if it's filet mignon or gruel for dinner!
Meanwhile the Simpson ASB test began today! It will surely take at least a month before an
honest comparison is possible.
Stay tuned!
jr/John
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yes, yes, the SWMBOs of the World seem to have an unerring aim when it comes to our posteriors.
Regards,
Squire
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Squire wrote:Yes, yes, the SWMBOs of the World seem to have an unerring aim when it comes to our posteriors.
And I have the bruises to prove it following the last package from Fendrihan.

As concerns Simpson's AS Balm and Clinique, neither is on my preferred list of aftershave preparations. The Simpson's balm makes my face itch and I don't find that the Clinique soothes my face sufficiently. I'm not a big fan of balms, preferring alcohol-based aftershaves, especially those with menthol, but I do find The Body Shop Balms rather good.
Bryan
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Bryan,
I'm two weeks away from completing my personal month-long comparison of the Simpson ASB vs. Clinique Post Shave Healer.
Someone else...you??... might want to volunteer more thoughts on the Body Shop ASB's, with which I am personally unfamiliar.
I find myself using some sort of "treatment" product, in addition to a traditional fragranced alcohol-based product, after nearly
every shave, even when the shave was virtually free of any irritation or other problems. It maybe a bit extravagant, I suppose,
but in my case my face somehow feels better, although I can't define specifically what "better" means.
There are several (4-6) fragranced after shaves in my rotation, but I see no reason to have more than a single post-shave treatment
product in my regimen. A personal quirk for sure!
jr/John
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

After using the Simpson After Shave Balm for about 5 weeks, I was able to draw several conclusions and comparisons
between it and the Clinique Skin Supplies for Men Post Shave Healer*, which has been my preferred after shave balm/
lotion for the past 12-18 months.
----Price: on a per ounce basis Clinique (at $19.50 for 2.5 oz) is definitely cheaper than Simpson ($25 for the same 2.5 oz).
On a per use comparison, Clinique's superiority is probably even more clear.... a little goes quite a way
----Scent: both products are lightly fragranced (scentless??), so neither has a clear superiority nor will either clash with your
preferred a/s splash
----Tactile impression: as others have noted, Simpson has a slightly tacky feel which fades rather quickly.
----Absorbability: the nod goes to Clinique... as a light milky emulsion, the skin drinks up the Post Shave Healer quickly.
The creamy ASB, aside from its slightly tacky feel, seems to be absorbed a bit less easily. As Chris/Thalay Sagar
suggested, Gordon and others may find this a real negative
To be fair, my skin tends to be slightly oily, though less so as I have aged. The Clinique is definitely positioned for
an oilier complexion; no such indication of a similar positioning for the Simpson ASB.
----Formula/Ingredients: if "natural" is your thing, go for the Simpson... the ingredient list reads like something about which
Trader Joe himself might dream. Clinique was definitely born of a chemist's imagination.
----Efficacy: well, it's efficacy which may be the real determinant. For me, Clinique arguably does a better job of soothing
any residual irritation. Clinique claims it may help "prevent" ingrown hairs, which I can neither confirm or dispute.
Though it is not positioned as a moisturizer, for me the Clinique is definitely "hydrating" on my oily skin
Considering the price and its parentage, the Simpson ASB's performance was disappointing. I was probably hoping
for a miracle product, clearly an unrealistic expectation.
----Availability: again, advantage Clinique. It's in most department stores and on-line; in both instances you might be able
to get a "gift with purchase," or Clinique samples for SWMBO. Mmmm!
Although this was supposed to be about Clinique versus Simpson, for the record let me expand to comment that IMHO
Clinique Post Shave Healer is also superior, except for price and availability, to Nivea regular or sensitive after shave
balms, products with a real fan base.
Next??? Possibly Clinique versus Castle Forbes "PRE Shave" used as an after shave balm, per Chris' suggestion.

* Clinique is now undergoing a packaging/marketing makeover. The line is now known simply as Clinique for Men. What I
used as Post Shave Healer is apparently now called Clinique for Men Post Shave SOOTHER. I cannot confirm the ingredients
of both products are still identical but will try to determine if this is so, if the people at Clinique will cooperate.
If my comments missed something important to you, please let me know!
jr/John
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Thanks JR, that was a very through assessment.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

JR, We definitely better check the ingredients because for years now Clinique has offered the Post Shave Healer AND the Post Shave Soother and those two were not at all the same. Despite what one might expect from the names the Healer was actually the much lighter weight product and was, in every way, superior IMO. It would be downright sick if they decided to keep the latter and drop the former.
Regards,
Gordon
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Gordon, I had forgotten that possibility... "sick" would unfortunately be an apt description!
jr/John
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

What's unfortunate is some of the decision makers don't think like we who are concerned with performance. Rather if market research shows the word "Soother" has greater acceptance that's the product they will go with.
Regards,
Squire
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Squire, on that we can agree!
I like Clinique because they are smart marketers, which I can admire, and make some D F products!
Full disclosure: I worked for the company which markets Clinique (and Aramis and...) for nearly 15
years and found them to be people of real integrity; my employment was with the family-owned
"business," not the publicly owned "corporation" of today!
@Gordon: in an online chat with a Clinique customer service rep, she assured me the "new" Post Shave
Soother is the "old" Post Shave Healer.
I will know for sure when I next re-order in a month or so. I surely hope she gave me the right info...
she seemed quite assured in her response! I had the impression she was ready with an answer because
mine was NOT the first such inquiry.
jr/John
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Nothing like insider information, for the benefit of you guys who use Clinique I hope she is correct.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

JR, I certainly hope she was ( both truthful and informed ) also. Please be sure to let us know one way or the other when you've re-ordered. Their PSH is really the only other currently available aftershave product, other than Harris's Pink, that I find completely satisfactory. It's what I always take when I travel.
Regards,
Gordon