Horrible skin irritation, please help!

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
HelpMuhFace

Horrible skin irritation, please help!

Post by HelpMuhFace »

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and website. I think it's awesome that it exists. I will get right to my story...I'm 26 and have VERY THICK facial hair. When I shave, after about 2 days, the hair that comes in feels like sand paper. Like I think I could literally smooth out a plank of wood with my chin. My ex girlfriend used to get a horrible rash just from making out with me. I have always had really sensitive skin overall, even my scalp has some sort of weird issue. My scalp would itch profusely to the point of bleeding until I switched to T-gel shampoo ( i have to use it daily or the symptoms return). The corners of my nose also are often red and skin flakes off. Now to get to the main point here..I often let a beard grow during the winter because my skin becomes pale and my skin issues become exposed. The area surrounding my mouth and chin, kind of the "goatee" zone, become very red and skin flakes off of it, it looks almost like a horrible sun burn. I'm unsure if the cause is from the actual act of shaving, or if it's from having the beard? I notice that when I have a beard, that area overall itches and skin flakes off. I can't really see the skin at this point so I don't know what's going on under the beard hair. When i shave, I do so in the shower so the skin is warm and moist (i've heard this opens up the pours), I use a disposable razor and shaving cream. I often apply moisturizer to my face (always for sensitive skin). This might be an overall skin issue? I don't have insurance so I can't see a dermatologist. Was wondering if any of you experienced beard growers out there have ever experienced anything like this? Any idea of any insight at all would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to include a few pictures. The first two pictures are of my face minutes after I shaved. It was the worst i've ever seen it, so i was shocked and felt compelled to photograph my mortifying mouth area. The last pic is my face about 2 days after shaving, you can see that my facial hair is beginning to regenerate and my skin is flaking off heavily.

Thanks in advance, Steve
Attachments
IMG_19411.png
IMG_19411.png (163.29 KiB) Viewed 6239 times
IMG_19001.jpg
IMG_19001.jpg (197.65 KiB) Viewed 6239 times
IMG_18991.jpg
IMG_18991.jpg (171.12 KiB) Viewed 6239 times
jww
Woolly Bully

Re: Horrible skin irritation, please help!

Post by jww »

Welcome to SMF Steve.

Have you consulted with a dermatologist on this issue yet? Is it possible that you may be suffering from a condition that isn't necessarily shaving related?
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote:Welcome to SMF Steve.

Have you consulted with a dermatologist on this issue yet? Is it possible that you may be suffering from a condition that isn't necessarily shaving related?
+1. A visit to a dermatologist should eliminate many blind alleys and increasing frustration on your part as you search for a cure.
Bryan
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Steve,

I agree with the others. And even though you don't have insurance you can still see a dermatologist. Tell them of your financial situation and ask them what their cash price is for the uninsured and if you would be allowed to set up a payment plan. Most doctors will work with you on this.

In the mean time all I can advise as an interim measure of relief is to slather vaseline on your face and let it do it's magic to help your skin heal while you're working out a plan to see the dermatologist. Apply the vaseline and lightly wipe off the excess leaving a thin film over your skin. Be sure to do this at least twice a day - in the Morning when you are ready to leave the house to get your day started and in the Evening just before you turn in for bed. It will be a bit uncomfortable until you get used to it. Don't shave during this time.

Hope that helps.

Chris
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Chris and the others are right. You really need to get yourself to a dermatologist.
Easier said than done, we all realize, but your symptoms suggest a condition which
requires medical advice and attention!
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey Steve, welcome aboard. At the least I suspect you have oily skin which must be keep clean because the oil will collect and turn rancid after a couple of days which will irritate your skin causing the redness and flaking. If you wear a beard you will have to shampoo it with the same stuff that stopped the flaking in your hair because the root cause is the oil.

A retired friend of mine decided to grow a beard and experienced the same problem you are describing.
Regards,
Squire
rbaloha

Post by rbaloha »

Sign-up for Obama Care in your home state.

Obviously your skin is irritated by some ingredients. Suggest only using all natural products.

Check out the SheaMositure line of products that is widely available. Currently using the African Black Soap body wash as a pre shave. This product is an excellent moisturizer and helps to provide a close shave.

The La Toja sensitive shave cream also could help your situation.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I don't think you mentioned which shaving product you are currently using. I found that a brushless cream made by Alba Botanicals was a lot less irritating to my skin than soaps or creams. One I have used was aloe mint. Not too expensive either. If it does no good at least you can shave with it.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

It'd be great if Steve would pop in and let us know how everything's working out for him.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

What would be great would be for him to seek medical attention.
Regards,
Squire