any good facial wash and moisturizer?

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
chris1978

any good facial wash and moisturizer?

Post by chris1978 »

I need really good facial cleasner and moisturizers to calm my face without irritated. I don't want to buy the Baxter of California facial wash on a pump because of the Parabens. I need something that unscented version. I haven't use the facial cleasner for awhile. Lately, I got red bump every now and then. It happened on my upper check near my nose area. It bit itchy.

And also I need better moisturizer and facial wash on my dry face. Is there any unscented version that has no parabens. Any good price?

My last question is; DOES ANYONE TRIED THIS:

BAXTER OF CALIFORNIA'S VITAMIN E-D-A CLEANSING BARS

TRUEFITT & HILL DAILY FACIAL CLEANSER WITH MILDLY EXFOLIATING JOJAB BEADS

TRUEFITT & HILL ADVANCED FACIAL MOISTURIZER

TAYLOR OF OLD BOND STREET FACIAL SCRUB

TAYLOR OF OLD BOND STREET DRY SKIN CREAM

Please help me.

Chris A
brothers

Re: any good facial wash and moisturizer?

Post by brothers »

Chris, this might sound odd, but if I was on the prowl for some good unscented moisturizer/cleaner type products, I think I'd go to the mall and look in The Body Shop for something. I'd also check in one of the beauty supply places such as Sally's or whatever might be in your area, and even a Dollar Tree or etc. If they have a good one, I guarantee it'll cost WAY less than the shaving-related websites we all like to shop online at. This is just what I'd do. Women are the experts in this field, and they're constantly on the lookout for the good products that don't cost an arm and a leg. You might even ask one where she would go to buy these products.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, IMO, you'd be better off just using a high quality soap then you probably wouldn't need a moisterizer. My wife, before we meet, had a cupboard full of 'facial washes' of various kinds and numerous moisterizers as well. After I introduced her to quality soap she wound up giving away or throwing out all that stuff.
Regards,
Gordon
chris1978

Post by chris1978 »

Gordon, What kind of high quality soap? what brand? Do you know of any good facial cleasner that works for sensitive skin?
Can I use my shea butter natural bath soap for my face as well?

Chris A
brothers

Post by brothers »

A good quality soap is a great suggestion. Other stores that come to mind for products mentioned above are Walmart, Target, Walgreens, you get the idea. This is a large segment of the skin care market. Many excellent products at reasonable prices, sitting on shelves in a store near you.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

chris1978 wrote:Gordon, What kind of high quality soap? what brand? Do you know of any good facial cleasner that works for sensitive skin?
Can I use my shea butter natural bath soap for my face as well?

Chris A
Chris, wouldn't hurt to try. Go for it!
Gary

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

The Body Shop Maca Root Face Wash for Men.

Been using this, their Razor Relief, Face Scrub and Face Protector for years ---- and I do mean years.

They have a sale on at the moment on the Canadian website.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I live in a dry climate and I have been looking for moisturizing soaps for years. I have basically come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as a soap that truly moisturizes, though I agree that using a quality soap is important to the skin. If you are currently using a soap that dries your skin, changing to a soap that is less drying may solve your problem. On the other hand, if you use a good quality soap and your skin is still dry, you will need to get a separate moisturizer.

- Murray
wvbias

Post by wvbias »

How about Dove for men?? It's suppose to
be hydrating. I've never used it but it's
widely available.

Terry
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

wvbias wrote:How about Dove for men?? It's suppose to
be hydrating. I've never used it but it's
widely available.

Terry
I tried Dove for Men as a shower bar. Nothing remarkable except that it left a slippery, dangerous film on the shower floor. Never again, unless I want to risk a slip and fall in the shower.
Ed
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Yeah, Dove leaves a film over everything.

If additives in these things is a bother, there's this:
http://www.psico.com/products/free_and_ ... eanser.cfm
No magic bullet here, just a good, basic cleanser that shouldn't hurt because of what it doesn't have in it.
Check out the Vanicream moisturizers on the same site (under "Products").
Ron
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

To be fair -- Dove isn't a bad face bar.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

While I am firmly in the facial wash camp ( ie. Cetaphil and other similar gentile cleansers ) finding something that works for you is a very individualized process and will require some trial and error. I suggest to try and sample a few different options before deciding on or investing in any particular process. There is plenty of information on line just separate the facts from the sales pitch. As with all things, everyone's mileage on this subject will surly vary!
Good shaving,

Gary
wvbias

Post by wvbias »

How about a bar of Mitchell's Woolfat soap?
Used exclusively as a face soap it should
last a long time.

Also Brothers suggestion was a good one as
well. Some of the women on the sales staff
will likely be able to point you in the right
direction.

Terry
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Well, I lured her in with some Martin de Chadres soap, but they are too hard to get and too expensive in the US because of the shipping charges from France. No matter. I switched her over to the L'Occitane Lavender soap with only a minor complaint from her. I generally use the Atkinson's or Mitchell's Wool Fat bath soaps but that's mainly because I prefer a tallow based soap and there aren't many around anymore. I used to use the Claus Porto soaps a lot. They're now palm oil based but I hear that they're still pretty good. Give it a try with the soap you currently have and see what happens. Remember, 'facial washes' are detergent based....kind of like the stuff you use to wash the dishes...if you catch my drift...
Regards,
Gordon
bflotom2

Post by bflotom2 »

Gordon:
Have you looked at Sterling Soap on line at sterlingsoaps.com. They have tallow based soaps both face & shaving.
Regards,
Tom
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Tom, No I haven't so thanks for mentioning them. I have considered possibly ordering some of that Queen Charlotte soap but these soaps are probably not hard milled and so, even if they worked for me, they would be short lived. It's depressing ( at least to me ) that what I want; high quality, hard milled, tallow based soaps have become almost extinct when even in the early years of this forum there were many good ones to choose from.
Regards,
Gordon
taffboy

Post by taffboy »

I use Bulldog moisturizer.It smells great and leaves your face felling Smooth.
chris1978

Post by chris1978 »

I use Clinique Redness Solution cleanser and I like it. It make my face calm relaxing and no irritated. It last for month or so.

Chris A
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I was just at the dermatologist last week and the nurse told me to get rid of the cheap soap I have been using and use Dove. I had been having a problem with irritation on my ankles after a shower.
Ouchmychin (Pete)