Imperial leather bath soap

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
Mr.Max

Imperial leather bath soap

Post by Mr.Max »

I decided to order some of this soap. For those of you who use it, do you find the scent to interfere with your cologne?
~Matt
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Imperial leather bath soap

Post by drmoss_ca »

Not at all, although the scent isn't what it used to be.

I have to confess that my maternal grandmother was closely related to the family owned firm, and she (and my mother) could write and ask for a gross of soaps whenever they needed. So whilst you might take me as being biased, my assessment of the current product is rather meh.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Matt, I agree with Chris all down the line. Even since I've been aware of it, the scent is not quite what it was, although I like it a good deal. To me, it smells quite a bit like the Trumpers Almond hard shave soap really...or the old Woodbury. Unfortunately, like almost all the others, Imperial Leather bath soap is now also palm oil based and so it really doesn't work for my skin over the long haul. But that's just me. I also never worry about the scent of bath soaps 'clashing' with my cologne; even really potently scented soaps like the old Hammam Bouquet never have. The scent left on the skin isn't strong enough, nor does it last long enough, to pose any problem vis a vis any cologne I might wear. At least that's been my experience.
Regards,
Gordon
Mr.Max

Post by Mr.Max »

Ok, thanks. I never used it before, but I will let you guys know how I like it.
~Matt
brothers

Post by brothers »

Matt, my response would be just as those above. I've found Imperial Leather soap on the shelves at my local India grocery market, I think it comes in a 4 pack.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I have no issues with the palm-based soaps, and find IL still a very good soap -- we have been nursing what was at least a couple of years supply for the past 7 years since our last trip to the UK as it happens -- where have always stocked up at the local market in Bury, Lancs. Down to a few cakes now and it's still one of my favourite soaps along with MWF bath, and Swedish Dream Sea Salt.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

I sadly agree,the scent is watered down to cut costs now.I have had the original bars manufactured in Thailand,Tanzania and the UK,and over the past 5 years the scent has really been diluted.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Cussons Imperial Leather is SWMBO's and my go-to soap. We pick up a few packages whenever we're in England at the Pound Store; it's £1 for a pack of 3 bars, used to be 4 bars. SWMBO and I are making our annual pilgrimage to the family-seat in England next month so we'll be replenishing our supply.
Bryan