Hair brushes

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
rsp1202

Hair brushes

Post by rsp1202 »

I've never used one before, but it caught my interest that Acca Kappa (among others) makes a black boar bristle military brush as well as a white boar version. What's the difference between these two, and what type of hair benefits from this kind of brush? I'm more of a cheap soft-tipped nylon bristle styling brush kinda guy, but maybe thinking it's time to explore some up-market options.
Ron
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Re: Hair brushes

Post by bernards66 »

Ron, Some of our members who were the most into traditional hair brushes don't seem to post much anymore, unfortunately. I have one boar bristle Kent with a handle. Mine is in their softest bristle as my hair is fairly fine and my scalp a bit sensitive. Brushing ones hair daily with such a brush is said to be good for the hair and scalp as it massages the scalp, increasing blood flow there, and removes loose material from the hair. Also, supposedly, it spreads the natural oils more evenly from scalp to hair tips. I don't know if any of this is medically valid but these are the things I've heard about using such brushes. The best hand made ones traditionally were mostly English; Kent, RA Rooney, and Coate's particularly. As you know, only Kent is still in business and still making hair brushes. I suppose it varies with the maker but usually the white bristled ones are softer and the black bristled ones firmer. They are ALL pretty firm IMO ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Ron I've owned and used a few brushes and understand the appeal. Trumpers is made by Kent by the way, a fact I discovered after buying one so shop carefully.
Regards,
Squire
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I'm for anything that increases bloodflow to the brain, uh, scalp.
I'll check out the Kent white bristles. I already use their comb, so why not? Thanks.
Ron
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I have a white military oval brush by Kent that I got and is all I use. Very soft. In fact, on the Ebay site, I got a clothes brush as well for like $35.00 shipped. Quality stuff
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

A pair of Kent military boar bristle brushes are all you need - a pair lives next to my sink. Their softer nylon brushes aren't so good (a pair resides in my travel kit). White or black is purely æsthetic preference.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Are these what I should be looking at?:

http://www.kentbrushes.com/shopexd.asp?id=163&catid=26
http://www.kentbrushes.com/shopexd.asp?id=493&catid=26

These are the least expensive in their line-up. It gets crazy expensive after that.
And why a pair?
Ron
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Yes. On your links, I have the first, the MG3
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

rsp1202 wrote:And why a pair?
I understand they are to be used as a pair which probably goes back to the days when men's hair was heavily doused with oily dressing so you would use one brush to direct and one to smooth without the hands coming into contact with the hair.
Regards,
Squire
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Always used in pairs, with one in each hand.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

In which hand do I then hold the absinthe? This is all so Victorian, I love it! I must get these -- along with a straight, finally.
Ron
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I have only used a basic skeleton-style brush for years. My hair is the kind hat all I really need do after a shower is run my hands through it and I'm good for the day. Which greatly frustrates my wife and daughter. :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ron, Yes ( chuckle ) the two brush ritual is, indeed, 'quite Victorian'. It's mentioned is several pieces from or about that era that I've read. Never done it myself. As I mentioned, my scalp seems to be quite sensitive so a brief going over with one brush is enough for me. I think you'll enjoy your contemplated purchase.
Regards,
Gordon
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I think my hair might be too thick for these things to be really effective, but I'm game to try. Something about the brush saying "Kent" instead of "Conair" inspires me.
Ron
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

rsp1202 wrote:In which hand do I then hold the absinthe?
Your valet handles that while preparing your morning coffee.
Regards,
Squire
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

My good man! What an absolutely top drawer idea! I shall add another to the staff immediately. Did you know that some members at the Club have as few as a dozen? How common! This will put them in their place, most assuredly!
Ron
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

You called M'lord?
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Araner

Post by Araner »

drmoss_ca wrote:Always used in pairs, with one in each hand.

C.
Quite so, never two in one hand.

Regards,
Mike
:-)
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

My father gave me my first set of military brushes in 1948 as a graduation present from high school. They were white bristle with clear Lucite handles which were all the rage at that time. They were "PLASTIC" you see. After WWII plastic started to be available other than celluloid or cellophane. I still have them but the bristles have given up the ghost. Lately, I have resorted to a cheap Chinese knock-off. Strangely, they look like wood handles but are really PLASTIC. Work just as well as the expensive ones, just not the prestige, which at my age doesn't really matter all that much.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I have a Kent model OS11. It's rectangular/club shape with a handle, satin wood back and beech wood base, and filled with soft white bristle. According to Kent it's "ideal for men with fine or thinning hair."
Bryan