Shaving cream as after shave balm

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
Gedep

Shaving cream as after shave balm

Post by Gedep »

Hi y'all

I read about someone using shaving cream (Taylor of old bond street) as after shave balm. He applied a bit of cream as balm. What do you think? I use Taylor shaving cream (sandelwood) so I could save on after shave balm...

Arjan
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Shaving cream as after shave balm

Post by Squire »

It's not designed for that purpose as aftershaves/balms but what's more to the point the cream may actually be a bit more expensive to use depending on the brand.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Some time ago I started massaging excess/left over lather from the brush into/onto my face as part of my post-shaving ritual. Immediately after my final pass/touch-ups, I squeeze the brush between my thumb and fore-finger, and use all that magic to rub into my face. I then leave it on for a minute or so while I rinse the brush with hot water, then I rinse off fully with hot water. It likely has zero redeeming value from a shave perspective, but the experience of the lingering of the scent of the lather is really nice and very soothing to my olfactory receptors.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

There is an old Yardley advertisement that suggests doing this. It's the problems of shaving one. It purports that their cream (in the tube, long since discontinued) has more emollients for the skin than soap thus it is supposedly suited for this purpose. Personally, I don't see it as I'm betting that the emollients in those days were mainly glycerin - which is in many an aftershave these days as well as all the high end creams. Being sensitive to glycerin I can't use it as an aftershave emollient but I'll bet some guys can.

If you're so inclined, give it a try. If it doesn't work out for whatever reason then no loss as you can still use it as shaving cream.

Chris
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

A bit late chiming in, but I remember Murray mentioning using a coat of leftover lather as an after shave while cleaning up in his SOTD posts. I tried it a year or so ago, and found it works with some soaps or creams. Also saves a step in the shave process and keeping track of after shave, some of which don't mix so well with some soaps/creams. In these dry winter months, I've been using mostly the LEA soap stick with glycerin and lanolin. Also Cremo laced with KMF fragrance free and bowl lathered, Arko Adventure, and occasionally Nivea cream in a 75g tube. The LEA lather works especially well, and the Arko Adventure, surprisingly. Other soaps/creams, not so well, but I have plenty of the aforementioned to get me into spring and warmer, more humid air.