Age spots

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
kennethj

Age spots

Post by kennethj »

Any guys do anything to remove or control age spots on the face ? Maybe french green clay mask ? I am 55 now and noticing more and more of these age spots on my face. I am thinking drinking more water ..... good for the skin anyway. Thoughts ?
jww
Woolly Bully

Re: Age spots

Post by jww »

I haven't done anything about them .... I see them as demarcations of honour. Kind of like my grey hair ...... anything that shows I have some experience in life is much appreciated. Bear in mind, I looked all of 16 when I got married at 22, and had been "cursed" with a very young look over the years. I used to have to refer to my children often to show that I had some experience in life ---- now I use my grandchildren to promote my age/experience/clout quality that helps with clients/work/life.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

@ Wendell - The only advantage we have over our grandchildren is 60 years of experience. They get thing SO early in school nowadays, and they are better at computers sometimes. Maybe this proves thee is progress from generation to generation! :shock:
brothers

Post by brothers »

The value of sitting for hours hypnotised and chasing planned obsolete technology is negligable compared to spending time serving one another and building character and people skills, while becoming adept at various passions, arts and professions. Regarding the original post, I think they're inevitable, but there are a lot of cosmetic products available we can use to combat them.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

brothers wrote:The value of sitting for hours hypnotised and chasing planned obsolete technology is negligable compared to spending time serving one another and building character and people skills, while becoming adept at various passions, arts and professions. Regarding the original post, I think they're inevitable, but there are a lot of cosmetic products available we can use to combat them.
Yup -- I'll take playing with my grandchildren any day over technology, TV, etc. Just put on some nice classical music in the background and build stuff, draw, read, play in the snow (when it's warm enough to), you name it.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Wendell, you and I are speaking the same language here. Nothing else can compare. 8)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Kenneth an acquaintance of mine who is 84 was considering having some spots removed when a friend of his, aged 91, casually mentioned "whyinhell bother" which pretty much sums up my thoughts.
Regards,
Squire
95%

Post by 95% »

For what it's worth, I've noticed a reduction in age spots in the last two years, while using exclusively Mitchell's Wool Fat bath soap on body, face, and hands. Who knows if there's a connection, but there you are.
Porter
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Who knows, that Fat's miraculous stuff.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Lanolin (aka the fat) is one of nature's wonders.
Gary

VirginiaRamires

Post by VirginiaRamires »

As the age increases the problems like wrinkles and saggy skin makes the age spots.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Most of what we might term age spots (there is no such dermatologically recognised thing!) are a form of large freckle called a solar lentigo, and they are related to sun damage. Occasionally they take the form of a lentigo maligna, and they can turn into melanomas, although most melanomata come from dysplastic nevi. Sure you can burn them off, but it won't look any better than the original large freckle. Some people call solar or actinic keratoses age spots, but these are scaly lesions that are always pre-malignant (about 5% per year undergo malignant change) and turn into squamous cell carcinomas, which are usually easily dealt with using liquid nitrogen, surgery or topical chemotherapeutic agents. I have seen two people die of SCC of the skin through a combination of self-neglect, inadequate excision and intercurrent illnesses preventing excisions being performed before spread.

None of this is caused, or prevented, by shaving regimes. The ONLY thing you can do to make a difference is to use sunscreen, starting young and used consistently. Avoiding sunburns is obviously related to avoiding melanomata.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace