suggestions for long hair?

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
FireDragon76

suggestions for long hair?

Post by FireDragon76 »

Hi... I would like some advice on what hair products to use for long hair.

In the past I used to have longer hair but it was curlier or wavier and I used mousse or I flat ironed my hair. I had a long shag haircut.

Right now I have a somewhat shorter haircut, but still long by most men's standards. It looks sort of like Carl Sagan's hair from the 80's. I'm not sure what that style is called. It looks shaggy over the ears and neck, but not unruly long and its basically parted.

I am thinking some kind of hair tonic or maybe a product like Brylcreem or Groom & Clean would work. And maybe occasionally some hairspray or a styling gel. But I'm not sure. I don't use a wash-in conditioner in the shower, in the past I just relied on using whatever conditioners were in the can of mousse to do the job (I used Suave or Tresemme and it seemed to work, or I used John Frieda hair serum).

And lastly, is this the sort of haircut one should go to a barber to maintain, or a hair stylist? I went to a hair stylist today to get a minor trim on the back and it cost $18 dollars plus tip, which seemed a bit steep. I understand barbers are cheaper, but many of them just like doing clipper cuts.
F.W. Fitch

Re: suggestions for long hair?

Post by F.W. Fitch »

Hi FireDragon and welcome to SMF. It sounds like you've used some decent hair products in the past. I'm not sure if you're just wanting to control the 'flyaways' or frizz, but I would suggest the 'soft Style' line from Paul Mitchell. The 'Soft Spray' might be just the ticket. The 'Soft Sculpting Gel' might work well, however, read the descriptions from that line. Nancy Boy Styling Cream is one of the best, if you want a bit more hold. Can also check out some Alberto VO5 hairdressing from the jar/tube at Walgreens/CVS/Wal Mart.

As to getting it cut, I would go to a lady, myself. If you have an Asian lady nail /hair place in your area, I've had some good cuts at reasonable prices in such shops. You just need to find a lady that you seem comfortable with and then keep going there. They will then know what you're after each subsequent visit. Hope this helps a bit and take it easy.

Best, Fitch
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Welcome to SMF.

I came across a beeswax based product at The Body Shop some time ago - it was excellent and worked extremely well. Their wheat-germ based gel isn't bad either.

Of course another option is to shave your head ...... :twisted:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Many years ago when I had long hair, I used a conditioner after shampooing to help get the comb through it gracefully. Otherwise, I never used any other product.

Are you experiencing specific problems with longer hair for which you are seeking solutions? If not, I see no reason to add product. If you are, then the specific issue would define the needed product.

- Murray
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Last year I was reading Better Homes and Gardens and they had a review of women's hair products. One that was specially recommended was an anti-frizz serum made by Garnier Fructis', called Sleek and Shine. My wife never tried it but I started using it after showers. Strange product. I feels greasy on my hands when I pump a couple of squirts and rub them together, but when I rub it into my damp hair, it sort of dissolves into the hair and just makes it so easy to comb and never seems oily or stiff. My hair needs a combing once in a while if it gets mussed up or blown by the wind but it combs easily. If I want to plaster it down, I have used a gel for men made by Suave.
Ouchmychin (Pete)