Current hair care regimen and products

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
brothers

Current hair care regimen and products

Post by brothers »

I enjoy exploring new (to me) products and procedures. Most recently I'm shampooing my hair (I have a full head of hair, but it's not anywhere close to being as thick and full as it used to be.) with my bath soap, rinsing, then applying a good conditioner, letting it remain in my hair for a few minutes while completing the shower, then rinsing it out. Following the shower I place a small pea-sized dab of styling cream in the palm of my hand and rub my hands together before I run my fingers and hands against the grain through the hair. Then I use my hands to bring the hair into place, and am finished. I am not using a comb or brush on my hair, and I don't blow it dry. All of the above are subject to change. :wink:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Ouchmychin

Re: Current hair care regimen and products

Post by Ouchmychin »

I should probably post this as a review, but I have discovered a wonderful hair management product (for me). We subscribe to Better Homes and Gardens and for the ladies they have an annual review of the best hair products. One was an Anti-Frizz serum called Sleek & Shine by Garnier Fructis. It must be applied while the hair is still very damp from a shower. I use a military style brush and brush it while still damp. The stuff makes my hands feel oily, but it just disappears in my hair and makes it behave without making it greasy or plastered down. Smell is slightly feminine but so light it is not noticeable. Ironically, I bought the stuff among with other hair products for my wife and she refused to try them.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Mine is minimal:

Shampoo every morning in the shower with Head & Shoulders, which I've been using for years. Dry with a towel and work in a dab of Original dippity do extra #7 hair gel whilst still damp. Brush with a Kent Diplomat hair brush and comb with a Kent #5T comb.
Bryan
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I wash my hair once a week with shampoo. Daily, I slick it with a combination of G&C and Yardley Brilliantine. I rinse it out nightly in hot water just before retiring to bed. Works a treat.

Chris
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Shampoo every day or two with The Body Shop Ginger Scalp Care shampoo. Use their Banana conditioner once every 3 or 4 days. Been using this regimen for a few years. Works fine for me.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

I used the Nancy Boy Styling Cream today. I'll have to contact them to find out if it's possible to buy this fragrance as an aftershave. This stuff smells quite nice.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Banana conditioner? For some reason that sounds rather appealing.
Regards,
Squire
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

I have so little hair on top, it's laughable to spend any time and effort on it. Yet vanity demands I do.
Nonetheless, on suggestion of dermatologist, refrain from daily shampoo. Currently using a Mystic
Waters shampoo bar, every other day at most, followed by a mild vinegar rinse.
Repeating what I've offered elsewhere here, my "regimen" continues with an application of
Mystic Waters Hair Oil, which allows comfortable soft and mild control of (what little) very
fine hair I still have.
I use a wide-toothed wooden comb and from time to time a boar bristle military-style brush
to finish off.
Not recommended for all, I know, but it seems to work for me.
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I shampoo with a jojoba shampoo every morning. When I started this, a little over thirty years ago, it solved my dandruff problem and I no longer needed to use dandruff shampoo. This is a very good match for my scalp.

I don't use any kind of hair dressing. I suppose this goes back to being a teenager in the late 1960s, when it was not cool to put any sort of tonic or dressing in one's hair (i.e. To do so was so 1950s!).

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've been using the Nancy Boy Conditioner and Styling Cream now for a couple of weeks. It may be my imagination, but I think I like the results.
Gary

JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Murray,

any specific brand of jojoba shampoo?? or is jojoba an actual brand name.

Thanks,

John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
waynestephens

Post by waynestephens »

I generally take proper care of my hair and I am so possessive about the same. To maintain I use correct product which will not damage my hairs and specially prevent it from dandruff and hair-loss problems. Jojoba oil and shampoo are good for hairs. But along with the hairs I am a big beard growth fan as well and I ensure that the facial hairs also grow properly and to maintain it I use Beardilizer products which enrich my beards to the excellent extent. Considering the hair care regime and products, I believe that whether it is head hair or facial hair care we need to look for both prospectives similarly.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

This is an old thread, but since it has a new post, I want to make an update to my entry. Since I posted I have found that anti-friz alone does not hold my hair down at all times. I now use a mixture of the anti-friz oil and Jhirmack Extra Hold Hairspray. I spray 5 pumps of the spray and about 3-4 pumps of the anti-friz into the palm of my hand; rub my palms together and rub into my scalp. The anit-friz keeps the hairspray from setting my hair in a solid stiff manner and the hairspray makes it lie down even when it would rather stick out like dagwood.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

I am starting tomorrow to use a tea tree lavender shampoo bar from Sea Glass Soaps in Minnesota. I haven't used it before, and it certainly smells good.
ImageImage
_______
John
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

Hello Murray

I was quite interested in your post from last August regarding hair care.
CMur12 wrote:I shampoo with a jojoba shampoo every morning. When I started this, a little over thirty years ago, it solved my dandruff problem and I no longer needed to use dandruff shampoo. This is a very good match for my scalp.

I don't use any kind of hair dressing. I suppose this goes back to being a teenager in the late 1960s, when it was not cool to put any sort of tonic or dressing in one's hair (i.e. To do so was so 1950s!).

- Murray
I have a scalp condition called seborehhic dermatitis which seems similar to dandruff in several respects, so am thinking your routine may work for me. I have heard of jojoba oil, of course, but did not know that jojoba shampoo exists. Is their a brand name you would share with me?
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've been using the Nancy Boy styling cream and conditioner for the best part of a year, and will definitely continue. They make a replenishing conditioner that works quite well for me. Both of these products seem to last a long time as I use them sparingly.
Gary

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I am taking Otezla now and it seems to work wonders on my scalp psoriasis. Just a couple bumps on the crown. I also have thin hair and almost going bald on top, clip it short

Best smelling shampoos? Currently I have Aveda something for Men, sample size, and then Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Lavender Mint.
brothers

Post by brothers »

brothers wrote:I've been using the Nancy Boy Conditioner and Styling Cream now for a couple of weeks. It may be my imagination, but I think I like the results.
After a year and a half of regular use, I've become a loyal repeat customer of the Nancy Boy Replenishing Conditioner and the Styling Cream. I feel comfortable recommending both of these products. With a previous order, Eric sent me a sample of the Replenishing Conditioner and as a result I bought two large bottles, which are probably going to last a very long time. When they begin to run out, you can bet they'll be ordered again.
Gary

Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Things have changed a lot since my last post. I had a bottle of Pantene conditioner that got mold under the cap and tossed it. I told my son about it and he said he couldn't find a conditioner that did any thing for his hair. He thought some new safety finding led to eliminating whatever ingredient used to work. So I did an online search for conditioners that work and one seemed to stand out. It was a cheap Suave Professional called Keratin Infusion. It does pretty well. I also like to add a tiny dab of Kens pomade to wet hair after my shower, especially if it is windy (like my posts) :o
Ouchmychin (Pete)
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

For the fifth time (five out of five!), user Elifuldin has chosen to link to an online skincare shop in his posts. That's why his posts and account are gone.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace