History of Witch Hazel

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
malocchio

History of Witch Hazel

Post by malocchio »

Attachments
ponds5.jpg
ponds5.jpg (111.72 KiB) Viewed 11936 times
ponds4.jpg
ponds4.jpg (130.98 KiB) Viewed 11936 times
ponds3.jpg
ponds3.jpg (28.18 KiB) Viewed 11936 times
ponds2.jpg
ponds2.jpg (98.71 KiB) Viewed 11936 times
ponds.jpg
ponds.jpg (37.03 KiB) Viewed 11936 times
F.W. Fitch

Re: History of Witch Hazel

Post by F.W. Fitch »

I always wondered about our use of witch hazel. I knew it was an American product from the early generations of the Eastern seaboard.. They used what was available to them. I knew the Indians had introduced the plant to them as well. There was a very early soap company, from the same region of Buffalo... named The Larkin Soap Co. They made witch hazel bath and shave soaps. The pictured tube is from the late 19th century. Pond's & Larkin were probably a common combo back during the Gilded Age. Williams or Woodbury shave soaps, too. Woodbury was made by Jergens and was a very early one. Thanks for the detective work malocchio.
Attachments
$_57b.JPG
$_57b.JPG (96.08 KiB) Viewed 11912 times
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

Can't say if the medicinal properties are equal,but the scent certainly isn't the same between Walmart purchased house brand W.H. and my all time favorite W.H. Humphreys.The scent of the cheap stuff ($1.44 pint @ Walmart) is rather "pissy" and pungent,bitter.The scent of Humphreys ($11 pint) is mellow,like finely aged Cognac,so smooth and inviting.The face feel is about the same,my old mug has a lot of hard miles on it,so it may not be the best judge for product sensitivity.Is a quality Witch Hazel worth so much more money ?...A tough call if the effect will be the same,but if you want the finest quality,Humpheys is still #1.
Attachments
whzzx.JPG
whzzx.JPG (52.97 KiB) Viewed 11887 times
whzzv.JPG
whzzv.JPG (99.15 KiB) Viewed 11887 times
whzzk.JPG
whzzk.JPG (81.56 KiB) Viewed 11887 times
whzzc.JPG
whzzc.JPG (104.93 KiB) Viewed 11887 times
wzz.JPG
wzz.JPG (106.42 KiB) Viewed 11887 times
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I've been using Humphrey's for a long while. I gave Thayers a good try, but the heavy dose of aloe in their formulation left major tack. And drugstore brands do come with a stronger scent that tends to hover; not very appealing. The Humphrey's, OTOH, is clean, clean.
Ron
brothers

Post by brothers »

This is a good post, thanks so much! I was inspired to find my bottle of Humphrey's and use it on my face this morning following a great shave. Nice stuff indeed!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
FireDragon76

Post by FireDragon76 »

I use Humphrey's Cucumber Melon Witch Hazel on razor burn and it really does help, it's very cooling. Cucumber water alone is also something I have found refreshing after shaving.
Gene

Post by Gene »

Witch Hazel - I was going to start a thread about this myself. Many long-time posters here at SMF will remember the threads about witch hazel - some of the newer folks might not. At one time we discussed it quite a bit.

I was shopping at our local grocery store last month - and they had a large end cap full of Thayers - in various scents, too. I picked up some lavender. The scent is very faint, but I like how it feels when I splash it on!
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore