Pre Shave soap

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
chris1978

Pre Shave soap

Post by chris1978 »

I was wondering if you use Pre Shave Soap and if it worth it. I gave seen it on YouTube. They using Phoenix Artisan Accountment pre shave soap. To wash your face with it and rub the soap on your face along with the shaving cream or soap. I was thinking that plan to get it for while. Any feed back?

Chris A
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Re: Pre Shave soap

Post by notthesharpest »

Pre-shave soap is really not necessary when you have a good lather and are shaving after a shower or bath. If you need to shave without starting with a shower or bath, you'll probably find that washing your face before you start lathering is a good idea - but even then, special soap is certainly not needed. It's just a waste of money - as far as I'm concerned anyway.

If you've always wanted some nice soap, well yes, I'm sure that it is nice soap. But... yeah, you get the point.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

It certainly does no harm but is not needed either. If I haven't showered I will wash my face before shaving but mainly I'm softening whiskers with water so any soap will do the job.
Regards,
Squire
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Squire wrote:It certainly does no harm but is not needed either. If I haven't showered I will wash my face before shaving but mainly I'm softening whiskers with water so any soap will do the job.
+1
Bryan
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I have tried all sorts of things to better soften whiskers before shaving (soaps, detergents, conditioners, pre-shave lotions) but it all comes down to hydrating those hairs. To do that, they have to be degreased as oil on the hair shafts will prevent water from entering, and pretty much any soap will do that. Then it's a matter of applying hot water for long enough to saturate and soften the hair.

The old tubes of Palmolive cream used to recommend washing the beard with soap and water, rinsing, reapplying soap, and then lathering with their cream on top of that. But really, if the beard is well softened and the cream is decent, there's no need to make a kind of super-lather on the face. Good luck in your search for a magical beard softener - I don't think you will succeed, but be sure to tell us if you do!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

hot water
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
anomaly1985

Post by anomaly1985 »

Got their new cube 6oz pre shave soap. It's well mentholated. Felt my face feeling refreshed and smooth.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome to SMF, anomaly1985!

- Murray
anomaly1985

Post by anomaly1985 »

CMur12 wrote:Welcome to SMF, anomaly1985!

- Murray
Thanks Murray. Happy to be here. :D