Death of a Legend

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
malocchio

Death of a Legend

Post by malocchio »

In the 1950's young boys such as myself ,had little choice in what soap we got to use,whatever Mom had ,that was it.My mother usually had Cashmere Bouquet ,and a few years ago I bought some and really enjoyed the rich creamy lather and wonderful scent.Recently ,I have had a tough time finding it.A quick email to Colgate-Palmolive revealed after 144 YEARS ,the sweetheart of an American legend has bit the dust..My local Mom 'n Pop druggist had a few bars left,I bought them all...I'm kicking myself in the ass right now , I could have bought 24 bar cases a few months ago for about 15 bucks , full cases are up to as much as $500 on the auction sites already..Certainly this last run is not up to what the original ,and very costly , bar was,but it was still a great bath bar...144 years , one hell of a run , but I'll really miss this stuff.. http://www.brandlandusa.com/2008/12/10/ ... e-bouquet/
Attachments
cash6.jpg
cash6.jpg (238.8 KiB) Viewed 14314 times
cash5.jpg
cash5.jpg (254.45 KiB) Viewed 14314 times
cashmere2.jpg
cashmere2.jpg (266.86 KiB) Viewed 14314 times
cashmere.jpg
cashmere.jpg (172.2 KiB) Viewed 14314 times
DSCN0030.JPG
DSCN0030.JPG (1015.39 KiB) Viewed 14314 times
brothers

Re: Death of a Legend

Post by brothers »

Too bad. I regret seeing any of the good old stuff being discontinued.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

another 'day early dollar short' story. I just checked my order history on amazon....this soap must have been mentioned on the smf forums circa may 2015 because thats when I ordered it. I paid 4.77 for a 2 count package. I tried it, didn't like it at all and it probably went into the garbage can with all the other stuff Im learning now has great value :D :D :D
de gustibus non est disputandum
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Well, I don't think they advertised it since before The Beatles were on Ed Sullivan. Am I wrong?
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

The last time I saw some was at the local Dollar Tree store. They still have lots of Yardley soaps. Do you remember Camay soap? "Camay, the soap of beautiful women". I can recall Lifeboy's original deodorant soap. Users smelled of carbolic acid. Also the original Palmolive which was dark khaki green. Or black Lava which was changed to a gritty bar that seemed to contain pumice. I don't recall when Proctor and Gamble discontinued Ivory bath soap. Colgate's version was Swan soap. Ah the good old 30's.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

They still sell Lifebuoy soap in Africa and India ,but now it contains carbolic "scent" ,but not the old acid...
Attachments
Lifebuoy Soap -1934B.jpg
Lifebuoy Soap -1934B.jpg (132.21 KiB) Viewed 14159 times
life.jpg
life.jpg (57.91 KiB) Viewed 14159 times
lifeb.jpg
lifeb.jpg (78.4 KiB) Viewed 14159 times
lifebb.jpg
lifebb.jpg (63.54 KiB) Viewed 14159 times
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Great old ads!! I can still remember my older cousin visiting our family in San Francisco in 1942 on his way to the Pacific. He smelled heavily of carbolic acid. After it was discovered to be a very potent carcinogen it was removed; also removed from hospital anticeptics (like Lysol).
Ouchmychin (Pete)
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

Believe it or not ,back in the 30's and earlier you were less likely to develop staph infection after a hospital stay.The operating room fogging with carbolic acid killed everything in there.Seems like a fogging with 91% isopropyl would work well in todays modern electronics filled rooms ,but no one seems to be working on it.My 6 day stay in the hospital resulted in 5 different staph infections,2 of which were serious ,one very serious,and the curatives are becoming useless against them...
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I guess we need to take a can of Lysol spray with us and spray stuff. Keep it hidden under your jacket until they leave to let you undress. He-he-he.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Pete, you're definitely onto something. :)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
rafaelot014

Post by rafaelot014 »

malocchio wrote: Sun May 01, 2016 10:41 am Believe it or not ,back in the 30's and earlier you were less likely to develop staph infection after a hospital stay.The operating room fogging with carbolic acid killed everything in there.Seems like a fogging with 91% isopropyl rachat crédit locataire would work well in todays modern electronics filled rooms ,but no one seems to be working on it.My 6 day stay in the hospital resulted in 5 different staph infections,2 of which were serious ,one very serious,and the curatives are becoming useless against them...
Hello!
This is my first time here and I just want to say that I’m very happy to be here and to share my opinion.
Thanks!
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome to SMF, rafaelot014!

- Murray
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Even if he inserts spam links in quoted posts? He's out!
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace