Oily Face!!!

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
JayTrek

Oily Face!!!

Post by JayTrek »

I have always had a really oily face. My father did as well. As I am getting older...its getting worse.

The area around the outside of my nose is so oily, that I do cannot keep up with it. At the moment I have tree terrible whiteheads around my nostrils.

I try to keep it at bay with witch hazel. But my wife keeps telling me, "You need to exfoliate".

What say you?

Any advice?
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
brothers

Re: Oily Face!!!

Post by brothers »

Jason, since I was a teenager, and to this day if necessary , I wash my face with a washcloth splashed with rubbing alcohol morning noon and night as needed, and it cures the problem. The grease and any surface dirt is removed and the naturally dry and clean skin stays naturally healthy.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

Gary, Thanks...I will give that a try tonight.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

Gary, do you wet a rag and rinse afterward...or just let the alcohol do its thing and leave it alone?
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
brothers

Post by brothers »

I just let the alcohol do what it does, and don't rinse. It evaporates quickly leaving the skin clean and dry.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

OK...Makes sense. Thanks!!!
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
VirginiaRamires

Post by VirginiaRamires »

The people with the oily skin need to wash the face again and again. To get rid of oily skin, one must follow a daily skin care regime, eat a healthy diet and drink plenty of water and use proper skin care product. One of my friend was dealing with the oily skin problem, so someone told to try this product, which will help to get rid of oily skin problem and also helps to nourish the skin.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Virginia, if you are a vendor, do not post links to your products in any forum other than Shopping. We give one warning only.

A common misconception is that oily skin, or hair for that matter, must be aggressively degreased with detergents, soaps, solvents and sandpaper. And what does that tell the skin to do? Produce more oil since the last lot has gone!

You can tone down sebum production a little by using more gentle soaps (not the 'squeaky clean' kind - you want to leave some of the sebum behind), and rather perversely, by adding oils in the form of moisturisers. Mild cases of seborrhoea and rosacea can be controlled with washing followed by used of a thin oil on the skin - it may be that a less viscous oil is less clogging than sebum. More serious cases require their specific treatments, hydrocortisone for seborrhoea, and topical metronidazole or oral tetracyclines for rosacea (not for their antibacterial value, just because they happen to reduce sebum production). Don't get the two mixed up, as hydrocortisone usually makes rosacea much worse.

Finally, all you guys with greasy skin can take some sort of consolation in the fact it relates to your testosterone levels. Nature's anabolic steroid does it again!

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

So oily skin has a plus side, who'd a thought.
Regards,
Squire
refinedshave

Post by refinedshave »

I've found that products like lime shave cream and aftershave don't work that well for my sensitive skin/dry skin, and read later that they are better for oily skin. It made sense based on my experience, maybe worth a shot.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Maybe that explains why I like the Lime stuff so much.
Gary

termada

Post by termada »

do you ever use skin toner throughout the day? It helps with the PH balance of your skin
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

I have been away for a while. Thanks for the input!
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
naturalpuerh

Post by naturalpuerh »

Use some oil control like nivea men to wash your face everyday.
logboy

Post by logboy »

i have had (and still fear) scalp acne. now my hair is shaved short, i've tried to start a regime of exfoliating it. i'm 47, so long past teen years - i don't know why i get it now, but in the past it was long thick hair and sweat, dirt trapping.

look for kelebek cloths online. the range is baffling, but they're turkish bathing gloves (of a sort) that i've got two of. the lighter colours are finer, the darker ones are corse. i use the fine one and i can tell the difference on skin with one quick wipe. corse ones hurt to use, but are there if you need to try one.

i would use in combination with noxzema classic clean, which is cheap and requires so little it's hard to emphasise how quickly you tip into using too much. it gets skin so clean, so quickly, i'm surprised it's not more widely known and recommended - considering the cans of shaving foam have a following, that is, also.

i don't seem to get noticeable scalp acne using these, and i tend to do it just once a week. if i notice something appearing, going through the process in the shower clears it very easily.

both of these will take a while for you to work out the best current price on where you are.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Welcome! I'm glad you have found products that help you. Feel free to introduce yourself in the Newbie forum and discuss shaving with the members here!
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

Welcome on board logboy!
Olle
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome to SMF, logboy!

- Murray