Question about rags

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
JayTrek

Question about rags

Post by JayTrek »

This is a question related to showering...so I thought I would stick it here.

If this is not the right place...let me know and I will move it.

What cause a rag when it dries to get stiff? This has happened for years and its sort of annoying. Is it something with the soap?
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
brothers

Re: Question about rags

Post by brothers »

Jay, I would agree with your statement that the soap residue dries as does the fabric, and forms a bond between the fibers of the fabric. makes sense to me.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I've had this happen, however, without ever exposing the washcloth to soap.

- Murray
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

The mystery thickens.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Yet stiff old cleaning rags will soften up if washed rinsed and dried. Must be something acting like a starch within their fibres. As for facecloths and suchlike, it sounds like throwing them in the laundry is the right thing to do perhaps just before they get that board-like stiffness.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

If I leave my bluejeans in the drier until they are completely dry, they will come out soft.

If I take them out while they are still damp, as I usually do, so that I can shape them before hanging them up to dry, they will dry stiff. The wetter they are when I hang them to dry, the stiffer they will be when dry. (Wearing them, however, causes them to soften up quickly.)

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Stuff that's wet is fluid in nature and stuff that's lost whatever the fluid was (through evaporation) tends to retain the shape it was in when it was fluid. (Molecular something or other). Example, earth, mud, paint, pottery, concrete and so on ad infinitum. Goes for fabric too. Wrinkles! Mystery solved. :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444