Shampoo that won't make my scalp itch

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
brothers

Shampoo that won't make my scalp itch

Post by brothers »

Lately, I have been using some shampoo that had been left behind by some family members who had recently lived with us for a short period of time. It's called dove. My scalp itches morning and night. It's got to be the shampoo. Does anyone have a recommendation for a non itchy shampoo?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
mrjediconsular

Re: Shampoo that won't make my scalp itch

Post by mrjediconsular »

i had the same problem with dove shampoo as well, i use bath&body works shampoos.
Jordan
pausted

Post by pausted »

Gary, we buy Pantene brand in the big bottles at either Sam’s or Costco. No itching and also, I don’t bother with conditioner. I think it’s good stuff.
Best regards,

Basil
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I’ve used Head and Shoulders for years with no ill-effects.
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Itchy scalp is a common Dove shampoo side affect. I have used The Body Shop Ginger scalp care shampoo for the past several years. It's excellent and has never caused me any itchiness or other side effects.

Best of luck finding a product that works for you.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

Among the solid shampoo bars, if that's a choice for you, the ones with tea tree oil - such as Mike's Natural - are very soothing to the scalp.
_______
John
brothers

Post by brothers »

First things first, I stopped using Dove! Currently evaluating the alternatives including all of your recommendations. This will take some time, but at least my main complaint has been addressed. Thanks for your help!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Wendell, Body Shop Ginger is a good product. Thanks for the heads-up.
Gary

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I had used a shampoo bar, Chagrin Valley,and read up on J R Leggitt's shampoo bars, which may or may not be available at Whole Foods

Seems that going without shampoo also helps,in that the scalp reacts to stripping away of natural oils. Some I have read just use mild conditioner, like Suave, and that seems to gently clean the hair and scalp and make the hair manageable.
brothers

Post by brothers »

After changing to the Ginger for these several weeks/months now, my scalp has returned to normal now, to my great relief.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Since October I have learned that the Body Shop Ginger also makes a very good body wash in the shower. Nice product.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

After some time I have begun to apply Sea Breeze (an analgesic) to my scalp and massage the scalp prior to shampooing. It has a cooling and stimulating effect in addition to cleaning while refreshing the scalp. It makes my scalp feel good and it smells very good. The person who has been cutting my hair for the past 11 years uses it on customers, and highly recommends it.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Now, 5 months along, I'm still getting pretty good results with the Sea Breeze Analgesic. About 3 times a week I apply a large surge of Sea Breeze before my shower. I had bought a bottle of Head and Shoulders shampoo for itchy scalp, but it turns out it's just eucalyptus, which I think is a key ingredient of Sea Breeze also. I think the itching is actually subsiding better with the Sea Breeze than it did (if it did) with the shampoo.

Edit: I forgot to say that I only use my Palmolive bath soap to wash my hair - following the Sea Breeze - instead of shampoo.
Last edited by brothers on Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

John Rose

Post by John Rose »

I was getting some itchy flaking spots (almost like scabs) right above my ears, where the arms of my glasses touch my scalp.
I started using Head & Shoulders 2-in-1, and it cleared up in a week or so.
I mentioned this to my G.P. and he said that yeah, sometimes really simple and common products are effective treatments.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Just a reminder most shampoos are dilute dish detergent. I prefer to use a soap on my scalp when I can, and as long as it isn't too drying (your hair shouldn't 'squeak' after rinsing!) you'll get on fine. If you do have itching because of seborrhoea or psoriasis of the scalp, zinc pyrithione (H&S), selenium sulfide (Selsun) and tar-based shampoos will be helpful. I used to use Polytar all the time, but it's no longer available, and rubbing coal tar products into the skin for years might well have been the cause of the CLL.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I just started using Mane and Tail shampoo and conditioner. It was pretty cheap and didn't have a strong scent so I thought why not. Pretty good so far. I will say this, it makes my hair pretty darn soft. Other than that nothing special.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've gone back to Head & Shoulders because of the chemistry involved. Still using the Sea Breeze. Seems to be taking effect pretty well now. I don't use the Palmolive to wash my hair.
Gary

celar36

Post by celar36 »

I think I tested more shampoos than razors tbh

I have itchy scalp and use

Clear
Body Shop Ginger. This was is amazing
Jack
brothers

Post by brothers »

drmoss_ca wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:06 am . . . . If you do have itching . . . selenium sulfide (Selsun) . . . shampoos will be helpful. . . .
Thanks for that information. It seems the Selsun Blue shampoo containing a fungicide (selenium sulfide) may be working quite well. Head and Shoulders shampoo didn't work.
Gary

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

If you can find the original Selsun (not Blue) it has 2.5% selenium sulfide rather than the 1.25% of the Blue. Means you can use either less of it, or use it less often. Twice a week will be enough for most people.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace