Nancy Boy Styling Cream

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
vinny310

Nancy Boy Styling Cream

Post by vinny310 »

I have been using this product for about a month now and i can't say enough about it. It controls my hair all day without feeling stiff or looking greasy. But my favorite thing is the way it makes my hair look. It has what they call a "chromatic effect" It just deepens the color of your hair without a slick look.

Highly recommended.
Vinny
z

Post by z »

Is this the product that is with or without the lanolin? I've considered ordering one of them (probably the pomade), but haven't done it yet.
Zach
MVP

Post by MVP »

z wrote:Is this the product that is with or without the lanolin? I've considered ordering one of them (probably the pomade), but haven't done it yet.
Zach,

I think this is the one with lanolin. I haven't tried it yet because I thought you'd be able to feel the product in your hair, but according to Vinny's post, apparently you don't...
Alex
vinny310

Post by vinny310 »

Guys, it is the product with the lanolin. I was wary about that as well, but all my hair feels is soft.
Vinny
vontech

Post by vontech »

What's supposed to be so bad about lanolin? :?: :?:
-- Tom

"Used to be" a SHAVEGEEK, now recovered (sob!)
wrath186

Post by wrath186 »

I've got the styling cream too, but my experiences are a little different. My hair looks good, but it does feel greasy. I'm using the pea sized amount they reccomend, but maybe I'll try less. Also, the scent is a little much. After the peppermint and lavander fades you are left with the scent of Lanolin. It can be a bit much.

Lastly, because it isn't water based I find it can be a pain when washing off the excess.

Just to make sure we're talking about the styling cream and not the pomade, right?
z

Post by z »

vontech wrote:What's supposed to be so bad about lanolin? :?: :?:
Nothing. It makes things a bit greasier, but provides lots of shine... As noted by wrath. I don't know if I'd want that much "shine" in my hair.

It's basically fat that is extracted from sheep's wool.
Zach
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

I use this product and find it fantastic. It does a lot of "depth" and shine to the hair. And you have to be careful not to over apply. I have short to medium length hair and use a small size about that of a green pea. I also emulsfiy it completely in the palms of my hand before applying. My hair is very fine and easily weighted down but this does not do that. Next to Nancy Boy shave cream this is my 2nd fav product in their offering.

Chris
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

fisherc wrote:I use this product and find it fantastic. It does a lot of "depth" and shine to the hair. And you have to be careful not to over apply. I have short to medium length hair and use a small size about that of a green pea. I also emulsfiy it completely in the palms of my hand before applying. My hair is very fine and easily weighted down but this does not do that. Next to Nancy Boy shave cream this is my 2nd fav product in their offering.

Chris
I just bought this styling cream and I also must say what a great product it is. It isn't much good for holding a style in tough hair (that's what the pomade is for -- styling the front of my hair and holding it in place) but for the rest of my hair it makes it really shine and makes my short thick unmanageable hair look really good. The smell of lanolin can be quite strong, but I don't mind the smell. My hair smells like a new wool sweater.

I love lanolin! Baaa!
Richard
yourmando

Post by yourmando »

This *is* a fantastic product. The only thing I can add is a word about preparing the cream. It comes with a natural oil separation, with the top a bit darker than the bottom. I'm not sure if they tell you this when ordering online, but if you pick it up in the store they'll tell you mix it up well first with your finger. Then put it in the refrigerator for an hour, and the cream will be good to go until it is all used.

Armando
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

I've been using this cream for about a week now and absolutley love it. It smells great, adds just the right amount of texture and shine to my hair. My hair is black so I have to be careful with the products I apply so it doesn't look greasy - this does the trick, but you do need to be careful not to over apply as then the scales will tip and you're into Greaseville.

I use a little Aveda paste for the front and it works great in conjunction. I might have to try the NB Pomade based on Richards comments.
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

I glad you like the scent. It is lanolin-tastic. Smells like a new wool sweater. The signature scent is pretty much overwhelmed by the lanolin. Personally, I don't think much of the pomade, it doesn't hold strong enough for me.

I have to use two products in my hair. I use an oil based product like, bryl, olive on, booster lanolin, NB styling cream, etc., etc., all through my hair and then I use American Crew pomade to style my bangs as they are unruly and short and need a strong hold that the above don't offer. Yes, I could use American Crew pomade all through my hair and it is good stuff for that(lanolin is the third or fourth ingredient), but where is the fun in that? I like the way the oils make the rest of my hair look, feel, and the conditioning they offer. I could also use a gel for that, but I hate the way they dry rock-hard.
Richard
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Thanks for the clarification Ricard - so the NB Pomade is a no-go for you because it lacks holding power but AC is thumbs up, right? Bummer! I was really digging this NB cream and the pomade would have been a great fit...
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

blueasajewel wrote:Thanks for the clarification Ricard - so the NB Pomade is a no-go for you because it lacks holding power but AC is thumbs up, right? Bummer! I was really digging this NB cream and the pomade would have been a great fit...
If you want to pay the shipping you can have my NB Pomade.

American Crew Pomade (the brillantine one) is liked by all who use pomades. A firm hold, yet your hair stays soft. It has a really nice interesting scent.
Richard
SimonM

Post by SimonM »

I really like the styling cream, but as others have said, you really need to be careful not to over apply. I usually just run my index finger over the top of it to get a small, thin layer on my finger tip before emulsifying--not even a pea-size amount.

I'm a little torn because the styling cream works a little better for me than the pomade (seems to last longer throughout the say and soften my wavy hair a little more), and I like the shine, but the pomade, being water based, washes out really nicely and is absolutely non-greasy (and smells better!). I'm probably going to stick with the styling cream, though, and just be careful about not getting too greasy. A dish of the styling cream will probably last me for a a year.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Richard, I found the crew to weigh my hair down too much. A bit on the greasy side for my thin, and thinning, hair.

Sam
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Would this work, the styling cream, for me? Very short and almost bald on top and then about a #4 trim (scissors, not clippers) on side with more salt than pepper hair, thin shaft? I am torn between this and the gel.
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

I'm currently using a salon product made by Surface called (I can hear the cat calls already :oops: ) "Taffy Whip" . It works great for my thinning hair and out of control cowlick, does an excellent job without being heavy.
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits