Home Page | Gallery | PM Inbox | Forum Index  
 

good sipping whiskey?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).

Re: good sipping whiskey?

Postby brothers » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:21 am

$79 plus tax.
Gary
brothers
 
Posts: 16375
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:18 am
Location: Oklahoma City USA

Re: good sipping whiskey?

Postby Ouchmychin » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:50 am

I paid $95 for a bottle at the largest local liquor/wine store in the area. And that included the enormous Washington State Taxes.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
User avatar
Ouchmychin
 
Posts: 1590
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:03 pm

Re: good sipping whiskey?

Postby brothers » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:31 pm

Eagle Rare (Buffalo Trace)
Gary
brothers
 
Posts: 16375
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:18 am
Location: Oklahoma City USA

Re: good sipping whiskey?

Postby celar36 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:36 pm

Mortlach or Strahisla. Love them
Jack
User avatar
celar36
 
Posts: 397
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:22 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: good sipping whiskey?

Postby brothers » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:25 am

Jack Daniel's Green label. Hard to find, available in only 5 states. Mine came from Texas.
Gary
brothers
 
Posts: 16375
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:18 am
Location: Oklahoma City USA

Re: good sipping whiskey?

Postby pausted » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:18 am

I was browsing the bourbon selection at the liquor store attached to Costco this morning. The clerk said "you're a bourbon guy, right?" I said yes and he went to the back and brought out a bottle of Blanton's. $59.00 plus tax. It's mine now! I asked him how many he got in his shipment. Six bottles.
Best regards,

Basil
pausted
 
Posts: 1660
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 5:07 pm
Location: Rio Grande Valley, Texas

Re: good sipping whiskey?

Postby Ouchmychin » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:25 pm

Wow Basil, I paid about #10 more locally. Had to give all that up due to a bleeding ulcer, No more alcohol in any form. Enjoy the best that I know of.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
User avatar
Ouchmychin
 
Posts: 1590
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:03 pm

Re: good sipping whiskey?

Postby pausted » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:12 pm

Thanks, Pete. I'll enjoy it in small doses. :)
Best regards,

Basil
pausted
 
Posts: 1660
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 5:07 pm
Location: Rio Grande Valley, Texas

Re: good sipping whiskey?

Postby maskaggs » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:43 am

A friend left a bottle of Larceny at my house a few weeks ago. It's treated me well.
Regards,
Mike
User avatar
maskaggs
 
Posts: 742
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:29 pm
Location: University of Notre Dame

Re: good sipping whiskey?

Postby pausted » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:25 pm

Mike, I need to be on the lookout for a bottle of Larceny. Heaven Hill makes some very good whiskey. I would like to try one of their wheated bourbons. Thanks for reminding me.
Best regards,

Basil
pausted
 
Posts: 1660
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 5:07 pm
Location: Rio Grande Valley, Texas

Re: good sipping whiskey?

Postby maskaggs » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:43 am

pausted wrote:Mike, I need to be on the lookout for a bottle of Larceny. Heaven Hill makes some very good whiskey. I would like to try one of their wheated bourbons. Thanks for reminding me.


Heaven Hill is one of those distilleries that produced a variety of quality bourbons that are especially cheap in Kentucky. Good liquor stores will carry the full range of Heaven Hill products; even some of their stuff in the $10-$15 range, especially when bonded, is very, very good.
Regards,
Mike
User avatar
maskaggs
 
Posts: 742
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:29 pm
Location: University of Notre Dame

Re: good sipping whiskey?

Postby brothers » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:15 pm

pausted wrote:I was browsing the bourbon selection at the liquor store attached to Costco this morning. The clerk said "you're a bourbon guy, right?" I said yes and he went to the back and brought out a bottle of Blanton's. $59.00 plus tax. It's mine now! I asked him how many he got in his shipment. Six bottles.


That was a very good price. I found a bottle and it cost me more than that. Anyway, now I have it for as long as it lasts. The woman at the store where I found it told me they have never received any Pappy Van Winkle and probably never will, but if they should get one sometime in the future, it would cost something around $1600 at today's rate. She did say they have a bottle of the Old Rip Van Winkle and they are asking $900 for it.
Gary
brothers
 
Posts: 16375
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:18 am
Location: Oklahoma City USA

Re: good sipping whiskey?

Postby pausted » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:15 am

In my opinion, those prices are crazy. My palate wouldn't deserve whiskey costing that much. A few years ago I found about 7 or 8 dusty 375 ml bottles of Old Fitzgerald bottled-in-bond at a local store. I bought them all for about 4 bucks a bottle if memory serves me. That whiskey came from the old Stitzel-Weller distillery and I'll bet it was very close in flavor to the Van Winkle whiskey. Its all gone now but I remember it well.
Best regards,

Basil
pausted
 
Posts: 1660
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 5:07 pm
Location: Rio Grande Valley, Texas

Re: good sipping whiskey?

Postby brothers » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:49 am

The best combination for me is "cheap and good". :) More often than not, my personal experience has shown me that there is really no correlation between stuff that I really like, and the prices that are charged for stuff that often turns out to be "not my cup of tea". I like bargains.
Gary
brothers
 
Posts: 16375
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:18 am
Location: Oklahoma City USA

Re: good sipping whiskey?

Postby pausted » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:53 pm

Me too, Gary. I have recently discovered a Beam product called "Jim Beam Double Oak, Twice Barreled". The bottle says it is barreled a second time in a different barrel and further aged. It really is a nice whiskey and I like it a lot. It's less than 20 dollars here in south Texas. Look for the dark blue label.
Best regards,

Basil
pausted
 
Posts: 1660
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 5:07 pm
Location: Rio Grande Valley, Texas

Re: good sipping whiskey?

Postby brothers » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:23 pm

Hmmm!! I can definitely see that. Thanks for the heads-up.
Gary
brothers
 
Posts: 16375
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:18 am
Location: Oklahoma City USA

Re: good sipping whiskey?

Postby maskaggs » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:19 am

brothers wrote:
pausted wrote:I was browsing the bourbon selection at the liquor store attached to Costco this morning. The clerk said "you're a bourbon guy, right?" I said yes and he went to the back and brought out a bottle of Blanton's. $59.00 plus tax. It's mine now! I asked him how many he got in his shipment. Six bottles.


That was a very good price. I found a bottle and it cost me more than that. Anyway, now I have it for as long as it lasts. The woman at the store where I found it told me they have never received any Pappy Van Winkle and probably never will, but if they should get one sometime in the future, it would cost something around $1600 at today's rate. She did say they have a bottle of the Old Rip Van Winkle and they are asking $900 for it.


$60 for Blanton's?? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Generally $40, even here in the far northern reaches of the Hoosier State.
Regards,
Mike
User avatar
maskaggs
 
Posts: 742
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:29 pm
Location: University of Notre Dame

Re: good sipping whiskey?

Postby pausted » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:49 pm

You're lucky, Mike. I've not seen it for $40 here ever. Even years ago it was $50. My guess is the difference in state taxes.
Best regards,

Basil
pausted
 
Posts: 1660
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 5:07 pm
Location: Rio Grande Valley, Texas

Re: good sipping whiskey?

Postby brothers » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:14 pm

pausted wrote:Me too, Gary. I have recently discovered a Beam product called "Jim Beam Double Oak, Twice Barreled". The bottle says it is barreled a second time in a different barrel and further aged. It really is a nice whiskey and I like it a lot. It's less than 20 dollars here in south Texas. Look for the dark blue label.


I checked with one of my local vendors today. She looked it up and tells me the local distributor will be delivering the Double Oak JB this coming Wednesday.
Gary
brothers
 
Posts: 16375
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:18 am
Location: Oklahoma City USA

Re: good sipping whiskey?

Postby pausted » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:54 am

Good, Gary. Hope you'll give it a try and post your thoughts.
Best regards,

Basil
pausted
 
Posts: 1660
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 5:07 pm
Location: Rio Grande Valley, Texas

Previous

Return to The Gentlemen's Parlor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest