What about GIN fans?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

Leisureguy wrote:If you use Martini ingredients and shake the drink rather than stir it, you get a Bradford, not a Martini. Different drink.
Is there really a perceptible difference?
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Sure. Try it yourself. Shaking a drink mixes a lot of tiny ice crystals into the drink, from the ice fracturing from the shaking. These melt quite quickly, and the drink tastes (to me) diluted. Stirring (briefly) with large chunks of ice, cools without so much dilution.
Joe Lerch

Re: What about GIN fans?

Post by Joe Lerch »

tonyespo wrote:I have been a Martini guy since I was about 30 years old. Hmmmm so I have been drinking Martini's a long time. Bombay sapphire is my number 1 Gin. After reading the Scotch thread I decided to ask you what is your Gin of choice?
Exactly!
Joe
lux

Is gin for me?

Post by lux »

Hello fellow wet shavers,

Until the head of a famous cadiological clinic told me 3 years ago that, due to very high blood pressure, arterioclerosis and vascular constriction I should be drinking about 45 ml of pure alcohol daily and gradually increase the dose over the years, I was basically abstinent. In spite of the medical advice, I seldom reach the recommended dose, about 1/2 bottle of strong wine per diem.

Meanwhile I have additionally been diagnosed with celiac desease, so that has put a very abrupt end to my career as a single malt user. But isn't gin made from cereals, at least in part, and thus contains gluten?

Kind regards,

lux
Neither this, nor non-this, nor both, nor neither.
Regnare servire est.
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

Leisureguy wrote:I also usually get Bombay Saphhire, but I do like Hendrick's. And here's my post on how to make a Martini
I like your recipe, but I must have 3 olives.
Joe
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

tonyespo wrote:I pour the Saphhire in the glass, add the olive and whisper the word vermouth over the top of the glass, IE extra dry Martini and it's ready.
That's not a Martini. It's a glass of gin.
Joe
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

AACJ wrote:Speaking of the olives, do any of ya'll like dirty martini's?
I only had one once when a waiter made a mistake, and he paid dearly.
Joe
tonyespo
The Goldfather

Post by tonyespo »

Joe Lerch wrote:
tonyespo wrote:I pour the Saphhire in the glass, add the olive and whisper the word vermouth over the top of the glass, IE extra dry Martini and it's ready.
That's not a Martini. It's a glass of gin.

A rose by any other name is still a rose. To me Gin in a Martini glass with an Olive is still a Martini, MINUS the Vermouth.
Tony Espo ( Lover of Knize )
Go for the GOLD.

Through my will power I dare to do what I want.
Joe Lerch

Re: What about GIN fans?

Post by Joe Lerch »

mikey wrote:the thing about bombay sapphire is that they call it sapphire, they put it in a sapphire bottle, yet the gin isn't sapphire colored - very dissappointing. other than that it is preety good.
I'm no gin expert but I settled on Sapphire because I considered it the best. I can always tell when they use something else. It has led to some embarrassing moments for waiters.
Joe
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

Leisureguy wrote:If you use Martini ingredients and shake the drink rather than stir it, you get a Bradford, not a Martini. Different drink.
I swish it in a shaker. What's that, a Bradini or a Marford?
Joe
Joe Lerch

Re: Is gin for me?

Post by Joe Lerch »

lux wrote:I seldom reach the recommended dose, about 1/2 bottle of strong wine per diem.
That's the amount of alcohol in one 6oz. martini!
Joe
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

I also swish the Martini in a shaker (of ice cubes), and that's the same as stirring: in either case the liquid moves past the cubes (or the cubes past the liquid), get chilled but not breaking the ice apart.

A glass of gin is a Martini without the vermouth? Funny, I thought it was an Alexander without the cream and the white Creme de Cacao and the nutmeg; or perhaps a Gimlet without the Rose's lime juice. Or...

You get the picture: a glass of gin is just a glass of gin, regardless of the shape of the glass---and a Martini is a Martini even if you serve it in a (chilled) Old-Fashioned glass, though of course the Martini glass is more traditional.
lux

Distilled drinks OK!

Post by lux »

Hello fellow wet shavers,

Spurred on by your praise of certain brands of gin, I have done some internet research.

Am pleased to report that, according to the newer bulletins, distilled beverages such as whiskey and gin should not contain gluten, as such proteins are eliminated during the distillation process.

So on Monday I may take some of your good advice. Which is the smoothest brand?

Is there anything wrong with drinking e.g. gin on the rocks?

Kind regards,

lux
Regnare servire est.
lux

Big, medium or small?

Post by lux »

Hello Joe,

Is a 6 oz. Martini small, medium or large?

Texas sizes, of course.

Kind regards,

lux
Regnare servire est.
sousy

Post by sousy »

Leisureguy wrote:Sure. Try it yourself. Shaking a drink mixes a lot of tiny ice crystals into the drink, from the ice fracturing from the shaking. These melt quite quickly, and the drink tastes (to me) diluted. Stirring (briefly) with large chunks of ice, cools without so much dilution.
Hmm.. having some ties to Iowa yourself, you might note that no matter how you make a martini... never make it with "Hawkeye Gin".
Regards,

Chad
designwise1

Martin-ini -- how to make one

Post by designwise1 »

Martin-ini recipe (my last name is Martin):

Fee's Orange Bitters- 1 or 2 drops (not a dash)
Boodle's Gin (or Plymouth if I'm out - Plymouth is for G&T's at my house)
Vermouth (it's not a Martini if there's no Vermouth in it...)
Ice CUBES
Shaker

Shake the hell out of it. Strain into glass with 2 or 3 olives. Almond stuffed will work if you're out of any other kind.

Repeat from the beginning...
---------
Ratio of Gin to Vermouth=7 to 1 parts
I buy Fee's Orange Bitters by the case if anyone needs a bottle. PM me.
Gerald Martin
gruffydd3

Post by gruffydd3 »

I can't stand Martini's, but I love a good gin and tonic. Like many others, I prefer Bombay Sapphire. The regular Bombay and Tanqueray are very good also.

Rick
DEF

Post by DEF »

Tanq is all I know, though I'm keen to try the Bombay. I drink both G&T and what I now understand is called a "Bradford" (shaken martini). I add a sporting dash of vermouth and usually shake for about 5 seconds to keep the dilution in check. I have a couple of neat large martini glasses from Pier One; they're clear glass in the traditional design, but with a thin swirl of green glass spiralling down the outside. I usually drop in three olives. For the G&T, it's Schweppes tonic with up to half a lime in each glass. One of the true indulgences of summer!
Doug
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

If you make side-by-side Martinis (stirred, not shaken) and Bradfords (shaken, not stirred), using same ingredients and proportions, you can readily tell the difference---and have twice as many drinks to try. :D

And, at least for me, which vermouth you use makes a big difference. Noilly Pratt dry stands head and shoulders above the rest.

The squeeze of lemon peel on the top adds the final, defining touch. YMMV.
designwise1

Post by designwise1 »

I agree with you on the Noilly Pratt, Michael.
Gerald Martin