Guayaberas!

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Dave_D

Guayaberas!

Post by Dave_D »

I love Guayabera shirts for the summer, they look great, plenty of pockets for a pen, cigar, notebook, etc. The loose style is also comfortable in the heat which weve had plenty of here in Northern California this summer. The challenge is where to get one that isnt just a cheap knock off that fits terribly and does the style no justice. Ive found one place that has a reasonable selection http://guayaberashirt.com and their service is great.

Are their any other Guayabera guys here with other suggestions on where to find a nice shirt? I know this is a shaving forum but you guys generally have good taste in all kinds of things so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks!
Last edited by Dave_D on Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enrico

Post by Enrico »

Being a cigar smoker, I too really like Guayabara shirts in the heat of the summer. I have about 7 or 8 ( mostly white, but also green and blue) that I have bought over the years in different locations in the Caribbean.
The most expensive was a $45 off white one that I found at a specialty store in Cozumel. It's made of a little heavier material than most, but is well made, washes up nicely, and looks a little better quality than most.
I also found a couple of nice ones in Old San Juan PR.

I prefer to inspect them, and even try them on where possible, before I buy, so I cannot recommend any online vendors.

My wife calls them "Old Man Shirts" :-)

Steve
Bill S

Guayabara

Post by Bill S »

The Fuente folks sell guayabaras (ls and ss) at Casa Fuente in Las Vegas. I got one there last year. It is really nice (linen, beautifully made) and, unfortunately, pretty pricey. Between the shirt and a bunch of unusual cigars I guess you could say I had fun.

Coincidentally, Casa Fuente is found in the Forum shops at Caesars along with T&H, Penhaligons and a couple of good watch shops. Wallet beware... :wink:
Bill
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

Enrico wrote:
My wife calls them "Old Man Shirts" :-)

Steve
My Grandfather loved them so I agree with your wife. I also live in Miami and can't throw a stick without hitting a store that sells them. Most don't have websites so no way to pick out what you want but if I see a place that has a nice selection I will get the info.
--Charlie
AACJ wrote:Two words:

Duct Tape
Scorpio

Post by Scorpio »

Gents,

They are called Guayaberas. In regards to where to get them, I buy them through my brother in Puerto Rico.

Rafael
"A well lathered face is only half of a good shave"
texasPI
Inspector of Beards

Post by texasPI »

Scorpio wrote:Gents,

They are called Guayaberas. In regards to where to get them, I buy them through my brother in Puerto Rico.

Rafael
I get them in Mexico. Ole! :lol:
Erik

"Work like you don't need money,
love like you've never been hurt,
and dance like no one is watching."
Aurora Greenway
Dave_D

oops!

Post by Dave_D »

Rafael
D'oh!

You are correct sir, corrections made.

I did find a place that is reputed to make a wide selection of Guayaberas, including some nice ones that have been made for elite clientele. I will be checking out La Casa de las Guayaberas in Miami to see what cooks.
Bill S

Post by Bill S »

Rafael
To be precise, you might say" the correct spelling is Guayabera" :wink: Just kidding around. I have trouble with Penhaligon too :)
Bill
slcsteve

Post by slcsteve »

Get em' right here folks.

http://pennersinc.com/

Great old store.
Steve

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum europe vincendarum