Hair Brushes

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Hair Brushes

Post by qed-usa »

Do any of you gentlemen use a hair brush?

Regards,
Charles
Q E D
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

I just replaced my cheap Walmart brand with another cheap Walmart brand...*shrug*
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

I use the finger comb. It's very economical and it has a lifetime warranty unless you break it and it's free![/b]
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
razor_boy
King Of Hard Soaps

Post by razor_boy »

Charles,

I use a hair brush from Sally's Beauty Supply.

Why the interest?

Paul.
A Peach looks good with lots of fuzz but man's no peach and never was. ~ Burma Shave
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

Charles,

I use a hardwood hair brush made by Fuller Brush. It is a variation on the classic Military oval. instead of a traditional oval it has shaved the rounded edge off on the sides and remains curved on the end. the brush is about 5 inches long. It has a very stiff bristle to go thru my hair when it is wet. I have had this brush for almost 18 yrs now. and it has never lost a bristle. And I would never ever trade it. I can't even find a fuller brush hair brush any more. Mores the pity. Ahh well. If you have any questions about the style i would be glad to provide photos.

Peter
Peter
"Attend the Tale of Sweeney Todd
His skin was pale and his eye was odd,
he shaved the faces of gentlemen who never
there after were heard of again. He trod a path
that few have trod, did Sweeney Todd,
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Hair Brushes

Post by qed-usa »

razor_boy ...

On more than one occasion a UK manufacturer has indicated a desire to present hair brushes to the American market. I have dealt with this company in the past ... a "few" years ago. The brushes I obtained from them were the pride of my fleet (at the time I was also carrying Kent of London and hair brushes from other firms). But my gut feeling tells me the interest in hair brushes among Americna gents is rather limited, at best. I am simply wondering if I am wrong.

Charles
Q E D
Johnnie
Shave This

I agree

Post by Johnnie »

I would have to agree that hair brushes are not very popular here in America IMO. I think most guys just go to there local store and buy one or use the one that their wife owns.
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Hair brushes

Post by qed-usa »

Todd -

You're right, my question simply relates to this ... are American men, in general, interested in hair brushes and, more specifically, are they interested in high quality handmade hair brushes with natural bristles. I have 3 handmade brushes, one from Coates (yes, the sister company of Simpsons), and 2 from Rooney. All of them obtained a "few" years ago. The Coates brush I use occasionally, the Rooney brushes are really for show, though they have been run through my locks a couple of times over the years. One of them is a handsome cherrywood (with handle) and the other is a handsome ebony wood in the traditional military style (no handle). Both these brushes have white bristles whereas the Coates has black. Oh, by the bye, the Coates brush is made from the same mock ivory material used in the handles of a Simpson shaving brush. Funny, I actually used the Coates brush this evening, after my bath (after washing my hair), because I've let the ol' locks get a bit long, and in this state my natural curly hair is a bit unruly. Using a brush on my hair rather than a comb keeps it in place.

In any case, I reckon there isn't a significant interest among American men in handmade hair brushes.

Charles
Q E D
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

In general I don't think there has been much interest among American men only because of a lack of awareness of such products. I can't ever recall any sort of advertising aimed at men for hairbrushes.

I do however think that among this particular group of wet shaving enthusiasts that there might be a niche. Personally I never thought about hair brushes but I might become interested if 1) the brushes were high quality and 2) a reasonable price.

Vince
:::Vince:::
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Hair brushes

Post by qed-usa »

Hey, Vince !

High quality and "reasonable" price!!!

"High quality" with a truly handmade hair brush means not only exotic woods or materials for the the handle (cut, shaped and finished by hand) but also top quality natural bristle hair that is painstakingly attached to the brush by a method known as trepanning. As you know, men new to Wet Shaving are often not aware of the prices of truly handmade shaving brushes constructed from quality materials. I am afraid the same may be the case with hair brushes. Hell, 20 years ago I sold a Kent of London hair brush to a lady who just HAD to have a Kent for $125.00 ... and this brush was not trepanned. At that time I was also selling the same Rooney gents cherrywood and ebony wood hair brushes I own for $65.00 ... and the Rooney's were trepanned. But keep in mind, these are prices of 20 years ago.

Charles
Q E D
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Charles,

So what's the going rate nowadays for such fine brushes? I don't think 125.00 USD is totally unrealistic though the $65.00 range sounds very appealing and very doable with little buyers remorse :)

Vince
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Hair Brushes

Post by qed-usa »

Vince -

Those prices of $125.00 an $65.00 were from 20 years ago.

Regards,
Charles
Q E D
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Yikes :o . Well...I'm still not necessarily scared off considering the amount I paid for my Simpson Super Polo 12 shaving brush. As with any purchase, I'd need all the facts before deciding to buy.

Vince
reinman

Hair Brushes

Post by reinman »

High quality and "reasonable" price!!!
Any recommendations much appreciative, seems like there has been some interest, and with an $80 bottle of shampoo, 7 oz. size, quality hairbrush seems reasonable.
Are coates brushes and others still available?[/quote]
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

There was a post in another forum that described an individual finding a Pearson Mason brush (I don't know the company) for $185.00 and was flabbergasted over the price "for a hairbrush".

I use a brush that my wife bought for me, I believe it's a Kent.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I use an $8 boar bristle brush. I wouldn't even consider anything over $20.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

hey, if i had the hair i wished i had, $150 brush would be in order. lol

sam
gruffydd3

Post by gruffydd3 »

I have a Kent brush that I bought a couple years ago. I think it is worth the price I paid.
Rick
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

There's all this talk about badger brushes, makes me wonder what does a badger use?
mark the shoeshine boy

Post by mark the shoeshine boy »

charles,

for what hair i have, i like to use a brush....swissco olive wood with a handle...

now I feel ashamed to use it, because Dr. Moss has taught me that men don't use brushes with handles...maybe I will run it through the band saw...

but as I get older...i have less and less to brush....

mark the shoeshine boy
SHAVE AND A HAIRCUT...WAIT A SECOND WHAT ABOUT A SHOESHINE, TOO ????