hair tonics

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

hair tonics

Post by Sam »

Charles: I notice your site carries hair tonics. What do they do? I have thin hair with a touch of psoriasis. I usually get it cut short and spike it with pomade, but pomade tends to clump and my scalp shows a bit. What does the pashana do? Does it hold, or give shine or both? I use amreican crew

sam
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Pashana

Post by qed-usa »

Hey, Sam !

Pashana hair tonics do 3 things: condition the hair, condition the scalp, hold the hair in place.

As with most toiletries, there is confusion regarding hair lotions and hair tonics. There are generally 2 types of products for the hair, one conditions, the other holds. Usually, hair LOTION is a holder, hair TONIC is a conditioner. But, as with shaving brushes, for example, the same terms can have different meanings from mnaufacturing to manufacturing, so you have to ask.

I, personally, do not like anything in my hair that serves solely as a holder. It makes my hair feel dirty because it is only coating the hair (and the scalp), not conditioning. But some chaps want this kind of item, especially if they spike their hair. A hair tonic .... a properly described and well formulated hair tonic ... is not designed for holding power

For my taste, Pashana's hair tonics are the finest available (by the bye, this is not a sales pitch, but reality as I know it). They are composed of essential oils that condition both the hair and the scalp ... and they hold the hair in place. Yet the holding action of the oils eventually turns into a conditioning action that keeps the hair in place. So the holding power is not greasy.

In addition, I dislike the majority of after-shampoo hair conditioners for the same reason I dislike badly formulated hair tonics ... such conditioners only coat the hair. This is why I suggest gents use a Pashana hair tonic in their hair after shampooing (if their hair needs conditioning). After shampooing, towel dry, spray some Pashana on the hair, work it in with your fingertips, comb (or brush) the hair in place, DONE. You will like the way your hair feels after it is totally dry. Note I say SPRAY the Pashana into your hair ... using a spray bottle is the most economical way to apply a hair tonic. However, you are free, of course, to just shake some from the bottle directly to the hair, though a person tends to apply too much tonic when using this method. Over application won't hurt the hair ... but you will have to buy hair tonic more often if you over apply, which means it will cost you more.

Charles
Q E D
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Charles: Please share more hair tips with us. I have some hair thickening shampoo i got and some conditioner. bought the litre size as it was 2 for $22. I will have this stuff for over a year. but i think i can take it back and get credit, i dont know. if not, well, i will keep it around. i saw some trueffit shampoo for dandruff (i have psoriasis). do you have any experience with such products? what about trumper hair lotions or stuff? can i spike my hair with the pashana? any other hints or tips?

sam
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Hair tonics, etc.

Post by qed-usa »

Hey, Sam -

I hope I am not getting too personal ...

1. Is your hair thinning, that is, are you going bald, or do you simply have thin hair? I'm not big on any hair products for thinning hair (that is, men who are going bald) for 2 reasons: they do not work and they make you look ridiculous. If you are going bald, then what you need to find is a good barber ... not a hair stylist, a barber. My barber's roots are in the Italian barber trade ... he is a true barber, who understand how to layer-cut hair and I see men with various degrees of hair loss leaving the shop looking neat. There is nothing more ludicrous in men's grooming, in my humble opinion, than a man "playing" with his hair, trying to do something with it that ain't gonna happen. Like the guy who grows hair long on one side of his head and combs it across the top and over the other side to "hide" that bald spot. Ever see such a guy after his hair has been hit by wind? Donald Trump is a prime example of the effects of "bad hair" on a gent's over-all appearance. I suspect DT wears expensive clothes but he always looks like an unmade bed ... and that's primarily because of his hair. On the other hand, if you simply have thin hair I really don't know of any products that make it thicker (or make it "look" thicker). Quite frankly, I do not think it is something to overly worry about in terms of a neat groomed appearance. The key is a good haircut.

2. If you like spiking your hair, then you do need some kind of "holder" or "stiffener". A properly formulated hair tonic is more of a conditoner than a holder, so it will not serve you well as a holder. I am bringing in some Pomade from Trumper for a client for just this reason ... to spike his hair. I "worry" about this type of product in that if I were to use it I would absolutely have to wash my hair everyday. I wouldn't want the layer effect of this kind of product on my hair ... I simply do not like the feeling.

After all the above, I don't know if I've said anything of value to you.

Charles
Q E D
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

No, Charles, you are not being too personal. I will admit, my hair is thinning on top and the crown and i take propecia. i also have thin hair at that. the barber says shorter hair is the ticket on top and in back, and i can leave it longer on the sides. he uses his fingers as the guide and he cuts it the width of one finger.

i use american crew pomade but it clumps, so i get wifey to set it and she hates to do it really while she is getting ready. i do like the small amount of shine it imparts. i guess pomade is pomade. i will use KMS as my barber recommends next. my scalp does not try out with the pomade as it did with the hair spray.

i have tried every imaginable shampoo for psoriasis, and for thin hair just about everything. so i got some deal on a hair thickening shampoo and stocked up with the litres. so for me, the styling is the best i can do. but i can do better than i have with my shave and face supplies and you are helping in that regard

sam
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

Sam,

If you are really concerned about using hair thickening shampoo my barber recommends using horse shampoo. the same stuff they use on horses to keep their hair thick. I am being very serious by the way. he says he has a few clients that have used it and liked it.

If you really want your hair to spike then I recommend 1) "Spiker" by Joico. It is refered to as hair glue. it will set your hair in seconds and lasts all day long and it doesn't smell to bad. if this is to thick for you try 2) "Lanza" mega hold hair gel. it's purple and its thick gel that lasts all day long. Not quite as firm as the "Spiker". My girlfriend is a hair stylist so she turns me on to all these different products. I have thin hair myself and keeping it down or getting it to do what i want can be a major hassel. i have used both of these products for several years and they work very well.

You will have to purchase them in a beauty supply store becuase they are professional products. you will not be able to find them in a drug store. Most hair salons carry them.

I hope this helps.
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Hair tonic

Post by qed-usa »

Hey, Sam -

If you are under a physician's care (or have at least sought medical advice) for the psoriasis, then follow that advice. Psoriasis, as I understand it, is an internal problem, not an external problem, and I am not certain anything applied to the scalp will be of much aid. Even if you applied common sense, which tells you to use a gentle shampoo with beneficial natural ingredients, I do not know how much help this would really supply. Oh, it will be good for the rest of your scalp, but probably not the area effected by psoriasis. It would be a whole other matter if the condition were caused by outside factors, but that is not the case with psoriasis, at least as I understand it.

I really wish I could be more helpful.

Charles
Q E D