Scotch revisited

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
ScottS

Scotch revisited

Post by ScottS »

I was talking to someone today, and he told me that following his recent back surgery, he went out and bought himself the best scotch available. I didn't quite believe him, thinking that I have the best scotch available.

In any case, a quick ebay search turned up my very unopened bottle!! Seems it might be worth a little more than I thought. Of course, price doesn't necessarily mean its a great scotch, but I have had this scotch (from other bottles, fortunately), and it is very good.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

$510 for a bottle of Scotch. Who knew? I feel totally extravagant when I treat myself to a bottle of JW Blue twice a year. When that is finished it's back to white trash Black or any other of the 12 year olds.

Clive
Bandobras

Post by Bandobras »

I've tried Scotch but it felt kinda like I was drinking a cigar and I didn't particularly enjoy it. I've heard the Johnnie Walker Blue is pretty smooth though, and it's a blended, so I might try it out sometime.
- Rickie
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Don't put a drop of water or ice in the glass. You don't want to dilute it.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

If you like drinking a Scotch with water, Famous Grouse is really very good.

Clive
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

fallingwickets wrote:Don't put a drop of water or ice in the glass. You don't want to dilute it.
A drop (and I mean a small drop) of spring water really opens up a single malt nicely, especially a speyside sherry cask like Macallen. You're not supposed to do this for the really peaty scotches, like Lagavulin.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I'm with Scott. I think most scotches benefit from the addition of a very tiny amount of water. They seem to flower under your nose.

I used to feel guilty about this, as though I was maltreating the scotch. Then I read that Scotsmen, too, are divided on this subject. If they can't agree on whether to add water, then how can we?

In any event, I congratulate you on your bottle, Scott. Do you have plans to keep it, sell it, or drink it?
--Bob--
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

"Flower" is the perfect word. It's not that they're not great neat, but something really opens up in them with a wee bit of water. I've heard guesses that the alcohol content is right around the value that numbs taste, and a bit of water brings it to the other side, but this doesn't seem right to me, based upon scent.

I'm thinking that someday the right occasion will come around to crack it open. I wouldn't sell it, as it was an anniversary present from my wife. It wasn't inexpensive when she bought it, but it was substantially less than $200.
Ben

Re: Scotch revisited

Post by Ben »

ScottS wrote:I was talking to someone today, and he told me that following his recent back surgery, he went out and bought himself the best scotch available. I didn't quite believe him, thinking that I have the best scotch available.

In any case, a quick ebay search turned up my very unopened bottle!! Seems it might be worth a little more than I thought. Of course, price doesn't necessarily mean its a great scotch, but I have had this scotch (from other bottles, fortunately), and it is very good.
The Macallan 25 is a fine Scotch. Yes, the $500 that bottle fetched on eBay is a lot, but a liquor store nearby has extreme rarities that sell into the thousands. My favorite Scotch, and one I'll probably never see again, is Springbank 21 years. Wow. Just ... wow. I like everything frm Springbank, so all is not lost.

A co-worker of mine recently bought a bottle of Laphroig, but he quickly surrendered the almost full bottle to me (he drank the neck) for free after he found it way too smoky for his liking.
Hell-bent ... hell-bent for Feather!

"As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown flask in my shaving kit."
— Dr. Gonzo, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas