First cigar.

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Third_Rail

First cigar.

Post by Third_Rail »

Reading the thread "humidors" reminded me of something - I had been wanting to try a cigar, as I'd never smoked but hated the smell of cigarettes.

I bought just some cheap-os at the smoke shop, a 5 pack of "Blunts" by Phillies.

Really, really nice to slowly smoke. Any suggestions for a nicer cigar to nurse slowly on an afternoon, reading a good book or whatnot? Try to keep below $15/cigar.
Third_Rail

Post by Third_Rail »

Thanks! I'll send in an order for a sampler from Cigars.com, then! :D

Since the shave soap, I trust your judgement. :lol:
navajadeafeitar

Post by navajadeafeitar »

Just tried a CAO Italia, which was a nice mild smoke. Joel, have you tried these?
------------------------------------------
Entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

several months ago i posted a topic on cigars. http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=263

ive since tried CAO criollo, and my fav. Brazilla (samba). with many recommendations ive tried cao, arturo fuentes, onyx, h. upmann, montecristo, romeo&julietta, partaga, padron, el rey de mundo, and several others.

just try different cigars without breaking the bank. sampling cigars can get real $$$. you will find different cigars have different tastes. spicy, woody, chocolately, creamy, etc. just smoke until you find the ones you like.

here is a great website that i found on cigar reviews by consumers. they have top 25 reviews, top cigars under $6. overall a very helpful website.

http://www.top25cigar.com/reviewdatabase/

hope that helps[/url]
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

Maybe I have been doing it wrong or smoking the wrong ones, but I have never enjoyed them, they always end up leaving a bad taste in my mouth for the rest of the day.

A few years ago, I was at a business meeting with some guys from Enron (no joke) and they purchased all of us these 30.00 cigars at a cigar bar here in Richmond and had 3 or 4 glasses of single malt whiskey each (probably close to 25.00 a glass). I only had one glass of the whiskey and couldn't even finish my cigar, but it was humorous to watch these guys rant and rave over how "relaxing" the whole ordeal was at the time.

Gee, it sounds kinda like some the guys talking about scents and shaving on this forum, myself included.

At least I got a few nice Enron shirts out of it, they are collectors items now.

When I went on a cruise with my wife in May to Bermuda, they had Cuban cigars all over the place. I went to a reputable cigar dealer, not one of those guys that hang around the cruise ship selling fakes, and bought a few from the recommendation of the cruise director. Same thing, bad taste in my mouth.

Any suggestions?
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

Joel, your advise about passing it up is well taken, however my father enjoys smoking cigars and I would at least like to be able to enjoy (or look like I enjoy) them with him.

I had the opportunity to smuggle a few of the ones I bought in Bermuda back for my dad and I to smoke, so a trip to my local cigar store for a few quick lessons and tips is in order, great suggestion as well.

I wouldn't think the little amount I have spent on cigars in my life would make much of a difference, neither would the amount of cigars I have ever smoked, I could probably count it on two hands. That damn cruise on the other hand, cost a fortune! But it was fun.

Thanks
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

Joel wrote:Anything from CAO. Personally I like the CAO Brazilia most.
I love CAO's. Pirrhanna's the best...
Sitting in the morning sun
I'll be sitting when the evening comes
Watching the ships roll in
And I watch 'em roll away again
jdtx3302

Post by jdtx3302 »

One of my go to smokes are Onyx Reserves. The are great 4-5 dollars smokes. I also like the Perdomo Reserve Champagnes and the Natural/Cameroon shades. I have tried the CAO's but that was quite awhile ago. I will get one next time I reach for a cigar.
Justin
Texas
growler

Post by growler »

Two very good stogies for both the cigar lover and the not-so-wild-about cigar guys:

La Unica #300
El Rey del Mundo corona or flor de lavonda

More full-bodied:

El Rico Habano
Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur, #1
Henry Clay, esp. the breva conserva

I really used to like La Gloria Cubana, but that was back when they were still being made in Little Havana, in Florida. Now they're made, I think, in the DR. Dunno how they rate now.

Overrated and/or overpriced, in my opinion:

Nat Sherman, all of 'em
non-Cuban Cohibas
many in the Macanudo family

Now, on to the bad taste. First off, are you inhaling? You should only suck the smoke into your mouth, and let it linger there. Swish it around a bit as if it were a nice red wine.

Second, maybe you're lighting it wrong. Here's the ideal way, from a freind of mine:

Light a match and, holding the cigar upright at a 90 degree angle, hold
the flame of the match under the lighting end of your stogie, but don't
let it touch the tobacco. Heaven forfend.
Ideally, you'll see some "sympathy flaming" (my term) around the end of
the cigar. Rotate it, so this happens all around. By this time, you may
be in danger of burning your fingers; so light another match, big
spender. If any areas of your cigar end are glowing, blow on them to
encourage the others. Your object here is to toast the cigar end into a
full glow without setting it ablaze. This may take some more matches and
some adept manipulation and bellows work on your part, but it does
produce a perfectly lit, evenly burning and aftertaste-free smoke.

Naturally, it works best indoors, away from stiff breezes and
contemptuous eyes. But it does get a noticeably better flavor out of an
expensive cigar, and makes a cheap one more tolerable.
navajadeafeitar

Post by navajadeafeitar »

Good points growler and Joel. What I found worked for me (YMMV) was to get a torch style lighter or make sure that the initial sulfur on the match had burnt off. Also, I prefer large ring gauges (fractions of 64ths of an inch) as the smoke seems to be cooler and doesn't get an acrid taste. Also, initially I used to puff very frequently. Once a minute seems to let the stogie rest in between puffs and cool down, but I don't know if there's any hard science behind this.

Bottomline, get a fat cigar and puff less :wink: My wife can't stand the things and so I don't get to enjoy one very often either...
------------------------------------------
Entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity
firstfloorfront

Post by firstfloorfront »

It's been a good few years since I last smoked but back then I normally used a pipe. However when I had a cigar it was always a King Edward Invincible.

Peter
Lionhoo

Post by Lionhoo »

Its funny how personal tastes differ, much like with everything else. I, personally, do not like CAO cigars. I've smoked just about every line from the CAO family and have only had a handful of pleasurable smokes.

My favs are Arturo Fuente . . . anything from this family is great, but the Hemingway line is supurb.

Partagas and Padron are other great smokes.

-Marshall
In War: Resolution
In Defeat: Defiance
In Victory: Magnanimity
In Peace: Good Will
-W.S. Churchill

"Causa latet, vis est notissima!" -- Ovid
Third_Rail

Post by Third_Rail »

Just got back from the smoke shop... took me through a quick rundown and suggested an inexpensive Macanudo to try. It smells great, and I'll see what it tastes like this coming week.

Forgot to get a cutter, though... I'm sure I have a straight razor or something around, though!! :lol:
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

growler wrote: First off, are you inhaling?
To quote a former president, "I didn't inhale."
Art