How mechanically inclined are you?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).

Are you Mr. Fix-It?

I'd grab my toolbox and disassemble the furnace until I found the trouble.
21%
I'd take a look, but hey, it's a gas appliance. Best left to professionals.
56%
My neighbor's really good about stuff like this, and he lets me help.
No votes
I'd tap the thermostat a few times, then Google for local repair companies.
10%
Life's too short. Just call a pro, then go out to the neighborhood cafe for breakfast.
14%

Total votes: 63

2clfrwrds

How mechanically inclined are you?

Post by 2clfrwrds »

A few mornings ago, it was really hard to get out of bed. That's normal, of course, but that day the furnace wasn't working. Man, it was cold in here! SWMBO just stayed in bed; she said, "When you fix it, I'll get up." Must be nice... Anyway, what would you do in that situation?
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I admire guys that know how to fix stuff. My neighbour is one of those macGyver type's. Anything goes wrong, he's right over fixing it. Not only fixing it, but making it work better too......new and improved. :lol:

Clive
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

My father-in-law can fix anything, well, maybe not computers, but darn near all. My Dad used to tear it up and then have to call a repairman, but he is great on cars. I can do simple stuff but other than that, I call Dad or my FIL, then the repair guy

Sam
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

I try to fix most things. I got one of those mechanic's tool chest for Christmas years ago. Nevertheless, I know my limitations and call the repairman if I can't fix it.
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I'm a very good handyman myself. But like the poll says, when it comes to gas appliances, I call the right person for the job.
Gas is something you don't take too lightly if you mess something up.
Kaboom!!!! :lol:
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
DaveInPhilly

Post by DaveInPhilly »

If its a computer I can fix it. If its mechanical and I can't figure it out, I'll call my dad who can fix just about anything. Though, now-a-days when something is out of my capabilities and I end up calling, he usually tells me that its beyond repair, or that it's easier/ cheaper just to have someone come out and do it.

But in general, gas and complex electrical works is more than I like to screw around with.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Gas is easy enough. I ran 150 feet of CTS underground, installed tracer wire, mounted service risers, and did all the indoor gas plumbing for my studio. I have 2 psi of natural gas out there at 500k BTU. My work passed inspection with ease, and it was my first time doing anything like that.
Hell-bent ... hell-bent for Feather!

"As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown flask in my shaving kit."
— Dr. Gonzo, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
mellowfellow

Post by mellowfellow »

I read a book that this guy Charles Givens..some real estate rip off guy did about 15 years ago and only learned one thing that still sticks with me. By the time you do it yourself, you could have had a pro do it 3x faster. I am a sales guy and ok at it...he recommends you spend the time doing more of what you are expert in and letting someone else do their job EXPERTLY. Which has played out true for me. Perfect example is mowing the lawn. I have had teenagers mow my yard for $30 a trip for 8 years, they appreciate the money, I appreciate the time with my kids. No maintenance on mowers for me or wasted saturdays...

But deep down...yeah...I am jealous of people that can do it themselves.
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Ben wrote:Gas is easy enough. I ran 150 feet of CTS underground, installed tracer wire, mounted service risers, and did all the indoor gas plumbing for my studio. I have 2 psi of natural gas out there at 500k BTU. My work passed inspection with ease, and it was my first time doing anything like that.
English please! :lol:
texasPI
Inspector of Beards

Post by texasPI »

Ben wrote:Gas is easy enough. I ran 150 feet of CTS underground, installed tracer wire, mounted service risers, and did all the indoor gas plumbing for my studio. I have 2 psi of natural gas out there at 500k BTU. My work passed inspection with ease, and it was my first time doing anything like that.
That's something I can understand! I worked as a serviceman for the local gas company for several years and did this kind of stuff all day long. It's not anything that can't be done without some common sense. The only time I got nervous with natural gas was when a 12 or 16 inch main would break. When those blow, they sound like a jet engine! We had a couple of welders that would weld on a "live" line. Now those guys had cajones! :shock:
Erik

"Work like you don't need money,
love like you've never been hurt,
and dance like no one is watching."
Aurora Greenway
Str8G8r

Post by Str8G8r »

I usually try to tackle it first and then call a pro if needed. Gas, electric wood work it doesn't matter. Some stuff is just really simple but you don't know that till you get in there and check it out.

I recently did some repair work on my car that the dealer wanted $700 to do. They charged $91 to diagnose the whole problem. They then credited that to do part of the work since I was paid for it anyway. Then I spent $200 in parts and did everything else myself.
--Charlie
prism

Post by prism »

Kick her out of bed and tell her I'll fix it when she makes my bacon and eggs! Two can play at that game!
Ben

Post by Ben »

mellowfellow wrote:By the time you do it yourself, you could have had a pro do it 3x faster.

But deep down...yeah...I am jealous of people that can do it themselves.
Well, I spent a couple hundred to do the gas work. It would have cost a couple grand to have a pro do it all.
Hell-bent ... hell-bent for Feather!

"As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown flask in my shaving kit."
— Dr. Gonzo, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
LtMac

Post by LtMac »

I'm not mechanically inclined at all. I am a whiz at writing, reasoning out problems, etc. but cannot for the life of me repair anything. Once several years ago I attempted to install a new toilet. I kept messing up the wax ring at the base, it took 2 full days without water and showering at my mother in law's house to get it right. Another time it took me 8 full hours to install a storm door and get the hinges, latches, and closing mechanism right. My dad, on the other hand, can fix anything and make it look simple. Too bad he's in his mid 70's and lives 3 hours away. This subject has become a mutual joke between my wife and me. Now when something breaks, we immediately call a repair service. It's cheaper and faster in the long run for us to do it that way.

Don
In God We Trust; All Others Checked Through NCIC
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

I've installed extra natural gas piping to my propane grill outside, converted the grill to use natural gas and installed a quick disconnect with a 12 foot hose to it so I can move it around the deck. I've also installed power lines and outlets in the basement, (the basement I finished myself, including about 1000 square feet of hardwood flooring, sheetrock installation and the building of a few walls), built a 190 linear foot picket fence for my new greyhound and replaced about 10 windows and 4 doors. Just to name a few things.

I guess that makes me a handy man.
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

I vary between brilliantly resourceful and indescribably useless and there's no way of telling which it's going to be on any given occasion.

Sometimes they are alarmingly close together. I once got a rather fubar Lycoming aero engine going again in the middle of the Australian bush using a couple of Leatherman tools (Wave and Crunch - the Mighty Duo) and a rock-hammer*.

The bloke who'd stood watching this said, oh, you're obviously a handyman, can you fix this very slightly cracked drain we have here... half an hour later I'd destroyed the drainage system, blown the electric jackhammer and fused the main generator. You never can tell.

I'm slightly hampered by my early medical training which has left me with a stupid but unshakeable belief that nature will finish the job. I won't go into the time I split the seam of my smart suit trousers in Seattle; sewed them up beautifully; then a week later, about to give a speech in Las Vegas, looked at the trousers, thought "Hmm... a week should be enough" and calmly took the sutures out. An ugly business, that.

* i.e., a rock used as a hammer.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

I'm pretty handy a doing most mechanical chores. It runs in the family. My father used to say: "I can fix anything except a broken heart"

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
MOSES

Post by MOSES »

My old roommate was convinced I WAS MacGyver. Not that I am that handy, but since he wasn't at all, and had determined that I could fix anything with a steak knife, duct tape, and a hammer (or other heavy object).....

-Mo
Alrighty, stickim up and hand over the Coates real nice and slow like....
GollyMrScience

Post by GollyMrScience »

I am by nature a handy kinda guy. That being said the first and most important thing to know is when the job is not within your skill set, your time frame or your budget. That great social commentator 'Dirty Harry" said it best when he said - "A man's gotta know his limitations".
I thrive on finding out how the guy who knows how to it - does it. I believe in the idea that - "You might know how to do something that I don't know how to do but if you show me how to do it I can do it too!"
I have to admit though that as I get older the thrill of repairing an engine in the middle of nowhere with minimal tools has worn off.
One last point - there are certain things that I know I can do that I will still hire a pro for. I'm not afraid to tackle the work but I do it because if anything goes wrong I can yell at somebody to fix it. If I fixed it then there is no one for me (or my wife) to blame for the screw-up -except me and that can be a bad thing that I will pay a premium to avoid.
-Tom-

What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!!

Wet Shaving Missionary - "Have you been shaved?"
tonyespo
The Goldfather

Post by tonyespo »

I feel comfortable about most household repairs. What's the worse that can happen? I could destroy it and have to have it replaced. I could fix it and be a hero... No guts no glory.
Tony Espo ( Lover of Knize )
Go for the GOLD.

Through my will power I dare to do what I want.