Your dream car

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Wish me luck, gentlemen. My mechanic is checking out a '96 Miata for me tomorrow.

Another realistic dream car (oxymoron, eh?) of mine is the 1994-99 Celica. Looks like a Ferrari, and fits like a glove. Has a somewhat usable back seat, and it's even very good on gas.

A somewhat less realistic dream car for me is the Honda S2000. Because of price, the Toyota MR2 has come within reach. Maybe I should snap one up before it becomes more collectible.

I just checked prices on an 11-year old year S2000, and found that it's become realistic, too, though still way more than an old Miata.

During my wasted youth, a pretty young woman in an MG once picked me up hitchhiking. She had a baby sitting behind the seats, and she told me that she had restored the car herself. No, it wasn't a dream.

What would be my ultimate dream car, without regard to realism? The kind of car they drive all out on the Bonneville salt flats? A prime Rolls Royce? A Duesenberg? The Batmobile? I don't know...
Last edited by Pauldog on Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

When money permits...
Last edited by SmallTank on Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
function

Post by function »

Thanks for resurrecting a good thread, Paul. Good luck with the checkup on that Mazda, a great little toy car.

I once walked into the property next to a Porsche and used exotic dealership for work. The controller took me took me to the owners personal garage. Inside was a lineup of 5 decades worth of red Ferraris capped by an Enzo. Also in the garage was a real Shelby Cobra, a Mercedes Grosser, a Rolls of unknown vintage(to me), 60s Stingray and a couple others. The centerpiece to this collection was a Veyron. Of all of the pieces in the garage, worth a sum 7 million if worth a penny, the best looking piece to me was the 60s Shelby Mustang GT.

All that yammering aside, I want this, a C2 Stingray

or a 70-72 C3 Stingray

Should I buy my toy for less hospitable weather I have given consideration to a first generation Ford Bronco or a Toyota FJ40.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

Paul,

What vintage MR2 are you looking at?. I had a '93 non turbo tin top (no T's) that I campaigned in SCCA Solo II (autocross), took regional class trophy with it. Not terribly fast (what do you expect from a Camry motor?) but a comfortable fun car to drive. It being a Toyota, was reliable as a hammer. I unfortunately let it go for a three year dalliance with a turbo Porsche. Not many on the roads anymore, might be a sign of some kind.
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
brothers

Post by brothers »

I guess my dream car would be a 1952 Pontiac Chieftain, hardtop, or if I could get one, a convertible, with turbohydramatic trans and the straight 8. That plus a 1955 Buick Roadmaster with all the bells and whistles. A 1946 Chevy pickup would be a nice ride too. I prefer my vehicles factory stock, please.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
function

Post by function »

brothers wrote:A 1946 Chevy pickup would be a nice ride too. I prefer my vehicles factory stock, please.
Interesting, I would like every car I could want to be stock or close to it EXCEPT for a 40s Chevy pickup. That just screams hotrod to me.
A great front end on that truck.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

My dream exotic car: Aston Martin DB9 Coupe

The car that's actually realistic for me to own: Audi S5

The car I'll probably end up settling for (after the haggling with SWMBO)when I trade in my current A4: Audi A5
Cheers,

Craig
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Right now I'd settle for comfortable seats on the Santa Monica Big Blue Bus line, but since that isn't in the cards . . . a late-model Lexus ES300, black with gray trim, a pleasant and relatively inconspicuous motoring experience between wherever and my condo in Century City.
Ron
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Craig_From_Cincy wrote:My dream exotic car: Aston Martin DB9 Coupe
8)

Although I am personally partial to the hart-top myself.

Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

As long as we're talking fantasies, here's mine (as long as the mechanic comes with it):

I must be a closet Anglophile :wink:
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
Araner

Post by Araner »

The Suzuki SX4

It didn’t start out as my dream car; it was just supposed to be basic affordable transportation. However, for the last 3 years this car as taken me too many of my dream locations in comfort and safety. I wouldn’t dream of getting rid of it now.

Mike
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

The SX-4 is indeed a car for all seasons --- it's spunky, fun to drive, and with AWD can get most places where regular vehicles would shutter then get stuck.
Wendell

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

m3m0ryleak wrote:...
I must be a closet Anglophile :wink:
British sports cars are still my favourites by leaps and bounds. Love Aston Marins, MGs, the classic or New Mini (ok, a bit of a stretch as a"sports car, but still a favourite), etc.

Time to embrace the Fat if you haven't already. :wink:
Wendell

churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

Just for those Sunday drives in the country....
A 427 Cobra in Guardsman blue with stripes.

_______
John
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

Audi A4 wagon.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

Or for the gas mileage...a VW Jetta TDI Wagon
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

Araner wrote:The Suzuki SX4

It didn’t start out as my dream car; it was just supposed to be basic affordable transportation. However, for the last 3 years this car as taken me too many of my dream locations in comfort and safety. I wouldn’t dream of getting rid of it now.

Mike
Mike, this last picture, is it a hairpin turn or a scenic overlook turn out?.
One side looks like mirror glass asphalt and the other all torn up.
Tony

Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

Dream car? I'm sure I posted in this or some other thread.....

This....

Or better yet, this.........

~Greg
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

m3m0ryleak wrote:What vintage MR2 are you looking at?
Not one in particular, but if I got an MR2, I'd want a T-top.

By the way, I did get the Miata, for an asking price so low that I didn't even haggle, and now I'm doing things like playing with a suction cup device on a hood dent (which seems to be working, knock on aluminum, which is what the hood is made of), getting out scratches, and finding an antenna to replace the one that was broken off. The main things I'll need to do are replace the rear window and fix the rust on the back parts of both rocker panels. The top needs a little patching, but seems all right overall.

The rear bumper had a few small areas where the paint was completely rubbed off. I cheated and used a navy blue Sharpie on them. Unless you look very hard, the bumper now looks quite nice. The paint job is a very interesting dark blue, somewhat metallic, that shows some green in the sunlight. It should look very fine once I fix a couple more scratches and wax it.

My last car drove fine, but had such bad paint that I never washed it, because that would remove paint! That got me very accustomed to not caring about how my car looked. This new one is different.

Fortunately, there's lots of information floating around on this car, especially at miata.net.
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

Aston Martin DB5.

A friend of a friend has half a dozen of them (at the last count)! at an average cost of £200,000 a pop.