A shock: Shipping to Canada via USPS really went up

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

A shock: Shipping to Canada via USPS really went up

Post by Sam »

Went to mail a brush to a member. Package in small cardboard box, weighed 8 ounces. This used to run what, $7 at most? Now it was $16.00. What happened?

Is Fed Ex or UPS now a better option?

Sam
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

Are you sure? A few weeks ago I sent a brush to Canada and it cost me a few dollars. I also sell stuff on ebay that weigh about 5 ounces and shipping to Canada was about $2.50. My prices for shipping are the same to US and Canada. How many days did you select. I usually use the 5-7 day or 7-10 day option (can't remember which one it is).

j
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
ksteryous

Post by ksteryous »

Johnnie wrote:Are you sure? A few weeks ago I sent a brush to Canada and it cost me a few dollars. I also sell stuff on ebay that weigh about 5 ounces and shipping to Canada was about $2.50. My prices for shipping are the same to US and Canada. How many days did you select. I usually use the 5-7 day or 7-10 day option (can't remember which one it is).

j
Same here...I mailed some samples last week to Canada that actually cost a few cents less than sending it to CONUS. I got the cheapest option they had, however, which I think was 5-7 days or something like that.

Kenton
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Well, I chose the cheapest. It was in a small box, barely bigger than the boxes Rooneys come in. 8 ounces. They showed me all options and if it was a letter, it would have been $9.
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

Sam wrote:Well, I chose the cheapest. It was in a small box, barely bigger than the boxes Rooneys come in. 8 ounces. They showed me all options and if it was a letter, it would have been $9.
Sam, that doesn't sound right. I'd double check to make sure they had it right. Maybe they weighed it wrong?
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
Sue
Vendor

Post by Sue »

Intl. shipping is rediculous. Can I rant?

- That's why I stopped shipping welcome soaps to new members outside the US.
- Customers write angry email that I ripped them off on shipping
...OR...
write to tell me they'd never order from me with my exorbitant shipping prices.
- I've been accused of low product prices only so I can "get em" with shipping profits.
- Customs is usually slower than molasses.
- Intl customers write 'where's my order? It's over 'xx' days and I still don't have it. Why are "you" so slow shipping?

Pay more for less service and longer delay, don't-cha love it?

Poor Post Office, their gasoline prices went up. Why don't they walk and push the little carts like they used to. Oh, they can't because they shuttle more and more profitable boxes than ever thanks to estores, Ebay and such.

hmm, now I feel better. I think I'll have a glass of ice tea.
Sue
jslfl

Post by jslfl »

Sue wrote:Intl. shipping is rediculous. Can I rant?
hmm, now I feel better. I think I'll have a glass of ice tea.
Sue
Perhaps you should have a double! :)
Steve/Bronco

Post by Sam »

I just now went to usps.com and checked international postage. Small package, weighing 8 ounces, international priority, 6 to 10 days, to Canada, $16.00 was the cheapest. They had one for like $2.86 but that is a letter mailer.

Wonder what Fed Ex or UPS would be.
Sfox7076
Keeper of the Coates

Post by Sfox7076 »

Gosh, I cannot believe I am doing this. Yep, the shipping rates have gone up, but you cannot blame the post office. There has been an exponential drop in the amount of first class mail sent in the last 10 years. Most of this is due to paperless billing (online bill pay) as well personal mail (I haven't written anyone a non-job related letter in years). That and they are now forced to carry more packages than ever (E-bay). That is inefficient as there is more space taken up at a cheaper rate. They also travel to places, say Menominee, MI, where it isn't profitable to actually deliver mail, but they are required to. Yep, I think it is a deal to be able to mail a package to Squamish, WA and pay less than $10... So either be happy paying the rates, or expect to pay more in taxes, and have the federal government pay more to make the P.O. operate. I would rather them raise postal rates... While I am not angry about the rates. I am angry at the lack of service as they loose or break things too often...

Shawn
"A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, a great deal of it is absolutely fatal" - Oscar Wilde
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

Sam-

If your package weighs less than a certain amount of ounces they will consider it a letter, therefore you will only pay the letter cost. That's what I do. I guess you need to figure out at what weight they don't consider it a letter anymore. I've shipped shaving brush sizes and video tape size boxes that all weighed less that 8 or 9 ounces and I've never paid more than $3 as recently as two weeks ago.

USPS website:

First Class Mail International
• Name change from Airmail Letter Post to First Class Mail International

Product Features & Benefits
• Service available worldwide for items weighing up to 4 pounds

• Delivery time varies by destination

• No tracking
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
ksteryous

Post by ksteryous »

I just checked my receipts from 4 days ago. I sent a sample in a 6"x4"x3" box weighing 4 oz. to Canada First Class for $1.62. The exact same package to Austin, TX was $1.64.

The PO lady told me some things had really, really gone up, but this particular package basically stayed the same.

Kenton
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Ok, well, I went to the post office web site and plugged it in. YOu go check it. Going to Canada, 8 ounce package. It was cheaper to send a heavier bubble mailer to England.
DoughDave

Post by DoughDave »

Hope shipping hasnt gone up too much for me. I've been meaning to mail something to this girl friend of mine in Canada, and I was gonna do it in the next week and I was just wondering today I wonder how much shipping will be. I dont think mine will weigh more than 8 oz either.
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Argh... my pet peeve, USPS services to Canada. I just did a quick generic check using the online USPS Postage Rate Calculator and it shows a 1lb package from anywhere in the US going to anywhere in Canada via First Class Mail costs $4.66 and that's pretty darn cheap. Now, if you select any other service the costs skyrocket. Part of the reason for the increased cost using Priority products is that the USPS has to actually pay Canada Post for delivering those items which are tracked when the item is scanned for delivery. I'm pretty sure the reverse is true as well when shipping from Canada using our premium products.

You can check the rates and service options available from the USPS for shipping to Canada here.

Regards

Kaptain "Pushing the envelope IS my job" Zero
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

Sam,

What I'm saying is, I think they should've given you the First Class Int'l option instead of the Priority Mail International option. I checked out the USPS site and you can see the First Class Int'l option is much cheaper.

If you click the little question mark you'll see that First Class Int'l is good for up to 4 lbs.
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Thanks for posting the screenshot Johnnie. You can also check the max dimensions by clicking on the (Show Dimensions) next to the "Mailing Services" in that screen shot.

Now, if Sam wanted delivery confirmation or perhaps insurance, it would not be available for First Class Mail afaik.

Regards

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

kaptain_zero wrote:Thanks for posting the screenshot Johnnie. You can also check the max dimensions by clicking on the (Show Dimensions) next to the "Mailing Services" in that screen shot.

Now, if Sam wanted delivery confirmation or perhaps insurance, it would not be available for First Class Mail afaik.

Regards

Christian
Yup, you can't get tracking or insurance with First Class.

About Dimensions:

First-Class Mail® International
Max. length 24", Max. length, height, depth combined 36"

I don't think your little box was more than 36"

J
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
minderasr

Post by minderasr »

Sue wrote:Poor Post Office, their gasoline prices went up.
I just found out today, my $28 post office box will be going up to $40 on next renewal. Why oh why didn't I opt for a two year lease?

:roll:
-= Jim =-

"If your knot flops and splays you are working it too hard."
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

And for my $16, they tell me no tracking at all!!!! I am going to avoid that lady next time
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

Sam wrote:And for my $16, they tell me no tracking at all!!!! I am going to avoid that lady next time
WOW! You may want to avoid that Post Office next time. :P
Johnnie
Keep it Wet