Question about tea steeping

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Question about tea steeping

Post by VinceFX »

Hi Everyone,

I think this question is mostly for Charles but anyone feel free to jump in. I'm a total newbie when it comes to tea. So much so that I received this wonderful tea from Charles and I don't really know if I'm doing the brewing process correctly.

Charles...I read your hand out very carefully and my first cup which I brewed today was quite delicious. I'm still not sure if I did everything properly and want to make sure that I'm brewing the best cup possible. My question to you is what kind of tea pot do you use? I used a tea pot to heat the water, then put some tea pearls in a cup and poured in some hot water to rinse them. Then I dumped that little bit of water. Then I totally filled the cup (about 10 oz) with the hot water from the tea pot and l let the tea leaves brew for a few minutes before I drank it.

The thing is, I didn't know what to do with the leaves so I just left them in my cup as I drank the tea! Is this wrong? If so what should I do with them? Or should I just be using the tea pot and put the leaves in there?

Any advice is appreciated. Looking forward to my second cup tomorrow and I want to get it right!

Thanks!
Vince
:::Vince:::
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Brewing tea

Post by qed-usa »

Hey, Vince -

First, about tea brewing, just relax and have fun. Every day I see guys complicating the act of shaving and truly I don't understand it. The point is to have fun and, really, don't over-think it. Tea, which is truly a much more complicated subject than shaving, would drive you mad if you let it. But as one of my mentors told be a long time ago, hey, it's about having fun and introducing your palate to an incredible number of taste experiences (China alone has over 5,000 teas). The keys to brewing tea correctly, and by correctly, I mean making a good cup, not necessarily following any specific brewing technique, are these: (1) use the proper amount of tea; (2) use the proper water temperature and quantity of water; (3) steep for the correct amount of time.

Chaps think to enjoy tea they must first go out and buy an expensive teapot. There are some pots out of China that cost several hundred dollars (can you equate this to the chaps who think they have to spend several hundred dollars on a shaving brush ... though the analogy may be slightly incorrect). How do I brew my tea? I use my wife's glass measuring cup ... the one she uses for baking, primarily for measuring liquids. I own several teapots, all of which I use, but my wife's glass measuring cup gets the most use. This cup holds a maximum of 16ozs of liquid so I can make only 2 cups of tea using it. So you see, one of the factors determining the size of the pot you use is the number of cups you need to make at any one time. I make two cups, one for my wife and one for me, so the measuring-cup teapot serves me fine. However, for entertaining (or even occasionally for personal use), you may want to have on hand a slightly more elegant teapot than a glass measuring cup.

Into the teapot I put the appropriate amount of Jasmine tea for two cups, which is basically two level teaspoons or approximately 44 - 48 pearls (but who the hell wants to stand there counting tiny pearls, so I simply put two level teaspoons). I then add enough water of the proper temperature to the teapot to cover the pearls to wash them. I discard the water, then add the appropriate quantity of water to actually brew the tea. I put a paper napkin over the top of my measuring-cup teapot to serve as a lid (talk about elegant). One of the joys of using a glass teapot as opposed to clay is the ability to see what's happening inside the pot. With pearls, you get to watch them unfold and you get to see the tiny whole leaves and buds. At the end of the brewing time, I pour the liquid through a metal strainer (again, one of my wife's cooking strainers that has a relatively fine mesh) into a teacup. You must get the pearls out of the liquid or you will over-brew the tea and it will become bitter. Of course, the pearls you bought are such high quality (with their white tea base) it is extremely difficult to brew a bad cup no matter what you do. But the general rule is this: at the end of the appropriate brewing time REMOVE the leaves.

Now the teacup ... I suggest it be glass, because part of understanding teas is knowing the color of the brew. We actually drink our tea out of cut-crystal red wine glasses, believing tea of this quality deserves respect, like the finest wines. However, you can also drink it out of water glasses. Or you can use any kind of cup ... but hell, a cracked ceramic mug just doesn't seem to pay the proper respect to the tea (this is only my opinion).

Remember, you can get two brewings out of this tea, so you can repeat the above process and enjoy a second cup.

If this is not clear, let me know. But just relax, and have fun.

When I introduce other fine teas, I will give the correct brewing instructions for them. But, as with shaving, "things" come down to personal likes. It is OK to use more tea than is recommended and brew for a shorter or longer time ... depending on what YOU think makes a great cup of tea. But I think if you follow my recommendations for each tea there won't be too much need for experimentation.

For ANY tea, all you need to ask is: (1) How much tea should I use per cup; (2) What's the proper brewing temperature of the water; (3) How long should I brew. And remember to REMOVE THOSE LEAVES at the end of the brewing time.

Regards,
Charles
Q E D

Post Scriptum: Todd, why don't you tell us your tools and method for brewing the pearls ... especially since you recently entertained using this tea.
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Ah...this answers all of my questions. Thanks so much Charles! I will likely adopt the same process....well...at least adhere to it as closely as possible. I'll be having my next cup tonight! Wish me luck!

Vince
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Brewing Jasmine Pearls

Post by qed-usa »

Hey, Vince -

Have fun!

I shared a cup of this tea with my wife this evening. A fabulous experience.

In any case, should you have further questions, or if anything in my explanation is a bit blurry, do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,
Charles
Q E D

Post by Guest »

Hey Charles. No problemo. My routine is much the same as yours. Since I'm not too good with watching a teapot til it almost boils, I just use the same Pyrex measuring glass you use. I dump in 16oz. of water, bring it up to about 180F in the microwave, then pour a few ounces over the pearls to wash them. About 10-15 seconds later, I pour the "wash water" out(along with the pearls)through a small, wire mesh strainer that has a handle on it like a pan. I then take the rinsed pearls and dump them in what's left of the water in the Pyrex cup. By now the water has cooled to about 170F and this seems to be about perfect for this tea. About 2 and 1/2 minutes of brewing time with one good stir at the halfway point makes a superb cup of tea. The nice thing about this tea is that I've almost always gotten a better aroma out of the second brewing of these pearls. Taste is pretty much the same to my untrained palate. By brewing these pearls twice, the wife and I have managed to finally go through our frst 50g bag of tea. Thank goodness we have another 200g layed up. I suspect it's going to be almost impossible for Charles to replicate the purchase of this tea! Like great wines or superb pipe tobaccos, "you just never know what you gonna get" from year to year(or crop to crop)with delicacies like this tea.

I did entertain with this tea a couple of weeks ago. My mother in-law and her sister were at our house watching a movie together(MIL lives with us) and I decided to throw them a little impromtu "tea". I know that traditionally, tea time is more mid afternoon in Europe but this took place about 7ish. I'd done this once before and it was a huge hit with them. This time, I had the Spring White Dragon tea to serve them awhile after it was over. After they'd lost the flavor of the raspberry tart I'd made them. Needless to say, it was a total hit. I've yet to serve this tea to anyone(special folks only, this stuff is too special)who didn't just RAVE about the flavor and aroma. That includes me. No, I'm not special but I had never tasted a tea that I thought was worth watering the plants with before. They all had an astringent feel on the tongue that I detested. I realize that some of that was too hot water. Most of it was CRAP tea. This stuff is so powerful, yet delicate in aroma that I just can't describe it. It's almost fleeting sometimes. My mother, who has a better nose than me, registers a distinct honeysuckle undercurrent to the aroma. I just know that I love it and will be mightily unhappy when it's all gone! Kudos to Charles for introducing me(all of us)to something so superbly elegant, sophisticated, and just plain delicious. I simply can't be angry or cad-ish when I'm drinking this tea. It puts you in a grand mood.

Regards, Todd

P.S. I too am looking for a more elegant brewing method when guests are here. Something that will show off the pearls and do an admirable job of brewing. I think I'm going to get a Brown Betty for leaves that don't look quite so, well... elegant in the teapot as these pearls.
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Post fixed!

Vince
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Jasmine Pearts

Post by qed-usa »

Hey, Todd, there's no problem with your posting, italics or not ... the essence of your message came through loud and clear. The Jasmine Pearls was a rare find ... I am attempting to find out if the producer in China has more.

I was toying with the idea of presenting a couple other Jasmine teas. The reason for this is simply to give chaps a chance to see how one type of tea can be presented in many different ways (with different tea bases) and have subtlely different aromas and tastes. I would not be trying to drive gents mad, just begin to show them the wonder of tea, how complicated it can get, and how interesting the adventure can be trying to experience the various aromas and flavors teas offer. There are many different grades and many different presentations of Jasmine ...

A "Brown Betty", the traditional English tea pot, is a charming way to present your tea. The major down-side, with some teas, you can't see what happens to the leaves during brewing. Of course, after emptying the liquid from the pot, you could tap the leaves out onto a napkin and examine them. But with pearls, for example, you cannot view the actual unrolling of the leaves during brewing if you use a Brown Betty.

I am working on trying to obtain a tea that absolutely requires a glass teapot, the brewing of it is an incredible event. But, of course, I won't reveal the complete info on the tea until I get it ... hopefully.

As I indicated, I have several teapots, mainly because I like variety, but also because certain teas or certain events require one of them. Hell, there are even plunger-type tea pots these days ... though they don't overly appeal to me.

Regards,
Charles
Q E D
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Todd,

Thanks so much for sharing your brewing method and thoughts on this tea. I just had my second cup last night and I think I share your enthusiasm about this tea. It really is quite delicious and the aroma is intoxicating. My wife loves it too. I can tell she was very impressed though she wouldn't admit that I actually out did her in discovering such a fine delicacy :-)

Vince