I feel misplaced in my Generation

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
AlbertAnthrax

I feel misplaced in my Generation

Post by AlbertAnthrax »

I am 30 and I,

Enjoy Smoking a Pipe
Have an interest in wind up watches
Fascinated by fountain Pen
Want to buy a Fedora

And I shave with Soaps and a DE safety Razor!

:D :D
Paul
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

If it's any consolation, I find interest in all those things except smoking a pipe (though it is quite quirky!), and i'm only 20!

Wouldn't it be boring if we were all the same though?

It's always best not to live by stereotypes, I think.
Seamus

Post by Seamus »

I'm 38, but I've long felt the same way. The current state of our TV-based culture in the U.S. is hardly inspiring, I'd say. I do believe, on the other hand, that most people end up drawn to older things because of their permanence and beauty--I' believe the notions of disposability and planned obsolescence contradict the basic human desire to surround oneself with well-crafted, aesthetically pleasing objects. I think the world of many years ago met that need far better! Maybe many years into the future, that'll be true again.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

You'll be OK as long as you don't get the urge to buy a white Ford Crown Victoria (or better yet, a 1980 Buick) and drive to Florida at 20mph with your indicator on.
Richard
soulshine

Post by soulshine »

"You'll be OK as long as you don't get the urge to buy a white Ford Crown Victoria (or better yet, a 1980 Buick) and drive to Florida at 20mph with your indicator on."

bwahahaha...i actually spit on my laptop monitor.

s~s
Sue
Vendor

Post by Sue »

That was 'Classic' Richard!
Sue
nolawis

How is that misplaced?

Post by nolawis »

Doesn't everyone do that?

Nw
Fair winds and following seas.
K-MaN

Post by K-MaN »

I'm 26 and understand exactly what you're saying. I used to smoke a pipe, but since I've quit smoking cigarettes I'm afraid to even attempt it lest I start smoking again.

I also have a keen interest in shortwave radio. Enough to have purchased nearly a thousand dollars in radios and equipment anyhow.

And of course we have this DE shaving thing.

The 'old' ways have a ritualistic aspect to them and took time to master, while the new ways revolve around instant gratification. More and more of us are realizing that 'newer' is not necessarily 'better'. In a world that moves faster than ever, it's very nice to be able to sit down and take some quality time with something, whether it be manipulating an antenna and tuner to receive that long-distance shortwave station, writing someone a letter with your fountain pen, or reclining back in your chair and smoking a pipe. The experience is memorable, not disposable. It has your personal touch. It's something we can appreciate more.

The most important thing about all of this in my opinion is that we're keeping these traditions alive so we can show them to future generations.
Kendall
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

Plus ca change.

On NPR last night I listened to Julia Alvarez, who wrote a book about the quincanera "event" in which young girls have an enormous celebration to mark the passage from childhood to adulthood. (See http://www.onpointradio.org/shows/2007/ ... b_main.asp to listen to the show, and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quincea%C3%B1era for more general background)

Anyway, she raised the interesting point that many second- and third-generation immigrants are searching very energetically to reconnect to cultural roots that thier immigrant parents very consciously cast off.

*shrug* Having moved away from the place where I grew up to a different part of the country, with few relatives around, I too feel this kind of a yearning, and I'm still looking for a good way to satisfy it.

- Will
AlbertAnthrax

Post by AlbertAnthrax »

The funny thing is... I thought that I was one of the exceptions as far as pipe smoking and seeking out shaving with a DE.

My Father was Adopted so any lineage is lost... someone's gotta start the traditions... might as well be me :P
Paul
ems10fan

Post by ems10fan »

I'm 28, and I smoke a pipe maybe once or twice a week. It's a nice way to relax, especially when coupled with a book and perhaps an adult beverage or two.

You like what you like - if it makes you happy, and doesn't infringe on anybody else's life, liberty, or pursuit of happiness, than you should do it and not worry what others may think.
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

K-MaN wrote:I'm 26 and understand exactly what you're saying. I used to smoke a pipe, but since I've quit smoking cigarettes I'm afraid to even attempt it lest I start smoking again.

I also have a keen interest in shortwave radio. Enough to have purchased nearly a thousand dollars in radios and equipment anyhow.

The 'old' ways have a ritualistic aspect to them and took time to master, while the new ways revolve around instant gratification. More and more of us are realizing that 'newer' is not necessarily 'better'. In a world that moves faster than ever, it's very nice to be able to sit down and take some quality time with something, whether it be manipulating an antenna and tuner to receive that long-distance shortwave station, writing someone a letter with your fountain pen, or reclining back in your chair and smoking a pipe. The experience is memorable, not disposable. It has your personal touch. It's something we can appreciate more.

The most important thing about all of this in my opinion is that we're keeping these traditions alive so we can show them to future generations.
Kendall,

You are exhibiting desires for a man that is 30 years your senior. It's great to see that. It is very hard for men my age (58) to share those type of excitements with Lads of your generation. I think it's cool as Hell. I started out short-waving and then progressed to Amateur Radio. I liked your comments about keeping things alive to pass on. I get out on my radios and smoke a cigar or a pipe and enjoy the solitude while scanning the bands. If you ever want to persue your SWL'ing to the next notch just let me know and we'll help get you your radio license. (Hams are just like the guys here on SMF. More than willing to help anyone get into the hobby)

Nice post kendall.

Regards,

Bill (WX4D)
Don't think......shave.
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

rustyblade wrote:You'll be OK as long as you don't get the urge to buy a white Ford Crown Victoria (or better yet, a 1980 Buick) and drive to Florida at 20mph with your indicator on.
One of the best pieces of advice I ever got in my life was from an older friend who advised, "Never drive behind an old guy wearing a hat." Truer words have rarely been spoken, IMHO. :)

I lean the other way. Though I'm chronologically solid in the middle of the Boomer generation, I act and think more like a young Gen X-er. I still have interests in older things: my favorite camera is about 35 years old; I still listen to vinyl regularly; and, of course, I'm a wet-shaver. But I would have a hard time getting rid of my broadband connection and going back to a day when Chinese food meant Chung King from a can.
“Time just seems to get quicker. You look in the mirror in the morning and you think, ‘I’m already shaving again!’” - Terry Jones of Monty Python's Flying Circus
K-MaN

Post by K-MaN »

Trumperman wrote:
K-MaN wrote:I'm 26 and understand exactly what you're saying. I used to smoke a pipe, but since I've quit smoking cigarettes I'm afraid to even attempt it lest I start smoking again.

Kendall,

You are exhibiting desires for a man that is 30 years your senior. It's great to see that. It is very hard for men my age (58) to share those type of excitements with Lads of your generation. I think it's cool as Hell. I started out short-waving and then progressed to Amateur Radio. I liked your comments about keeping things alive to pass on. I get out on my radios and smoke a cigar or a pipe and enjoy the solitude while scanning the bands. If you ever want to persue your SWL'ing to the next notch just let me know and we'll help get you your radio license. (Hams are just like the guys here on SMF. More than willing to help anyone get into the hobby)

Nice post kendall.

Regards,

Bill (WX4D)

I appreciate your kind words Bill. One of my largest regrets is that I did not appreciate the old ways of doing things when I was younger (but what young person does?). I could have easily shared in some of my current interests with my grandfather. I didn't appreciate how hard he worked, his skill in working the land, and his "common sense" knowledge as much then as I certainly do now, after his passing. What he, and others like him, did is just as important (if not more) than what is being done now. The ideas of tradition and personal interaction really resonate with me, and it is something I fear is being lost in today's world. While new technology and devices make our lives easier and more convenient, they also make them far more impersonal. That is what we should strive to avoid at all costs.

As for the radio license, I definitely want to pursue it one of these days. Unfortunately I am not in a living space that is conducive to having a "shack", or swl itself for that matter. My area carries a good bit of interference, and space concerns limit me as far as antenna placement is concerned. My sony 7600GT/ANLP1 combo suit me well for the listening that I do. I bought a Grundig Sattelit 800 before they were discontinued, but I haven't located an antenna that I trust enough to do the job well, so as of now it's put up until I can give it the space to "roam". One of my favorite things to do is just scan 3700-4000 and listen to all the informative, lewd, and downright hilarious conversations that HAMs have with each other. Shortwave is something that has a definite mystique to it, at least in my eyes. Hell, I can't see how anyone who read up on numbers stations and the like wouldn't become interested in shortwave radio. Talk about your mysteries of mankind.

Anyhow, again I appreciate your kind words. And who knows, I may take you up on the help for licensure one day.
Kendall
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

I bought myself a nice shortwave radio a few years back. Then I realized I could download the podcasts or listen to it online any time I want crackle-free. It lacks the romance, but it is a hell of a lot easier and more practical. I do miss twiddling the knobs and buttons though.

I guess the radio will come in handy when there is a big disaster, when I lose the internet connection (aka Armageddon), or something.
Richard
K-MaN

Post by K-MaN »

Steve-o wrote:I still listen to vinyl regularly.
Another one of my 'old' habits. But I think this one is making a bit of a comeback with the kids now.
Kendall
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

Richard,

The crackle is half the fun! :lol: It is easier to Pod cast but turning that dial and finding something out of the blue is part of the kick. BTW, You can use a 12 volt car battery to run lots of short wave radios when you have a power outage.

Kendall,

YGPM
Don't think......shave.
final_id

Re: I feel misplaced in my Generation

Post by final_id »

AlbertAnthrax wrote:I am 30 and I,

Enjoy Smoking a Pipe
Have an interest in wind up watches
Fascinated by fountain Pen
Want to buy a Fedora

And I shave with Soaps and a DE safety Razor!
You've pretty much described me, but I'm 41. I don't mind this status, usually. My biggest concern is that I haven't yet figured out how to make 24-year-old squealing college co-eds on spring break find ME, rather than a muscular cut tattooed hunk in the internet video, incredibly sexy, so sexy they spontaneously engage in wanton abandon with me.

I'm working on it.
Cliff in New Orleans
Bob

Post by Bob »

I've taken to wearing spats.
--Bob--
final_id

Post by final_id »

Bob wrote:I've taken to wearing spats.
So THAT'S how to get the nubile college co-eds on spring break to engage in wanton acts of abandonment with me. :)
Cliff in New Orleans