Watchwinder

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Watchwinder

Post by Sam »

Well, if you are a member at Timezone, or presumably, if you join, you can order from Orbita a new AC watchwinder they are betatesting. These run over $250 and they will sell it, shipping included, for $100.00. I ordered one. This is like getting a beta-testing of a Feather Artist Club razor for $50. They are suppossedly super quiet, run on energy that is akin to running your clock radio, and you can program it to the amount of turns you need, which for my watches, would be a complete turn every 10 minutes. This will keep it wound

Sam
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

Sam,

It's hopeless now. You've succumbed. There's no coming back.

Hey, I have an idea. You could put your razor on there and have the water slowly shaken out at the same time you are winding your unused watches.

Just a thought on combining the two interests into one.

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
ksteryous

Post by ksteryous »

Sam,

Thanks for the heads-up...I've been semi shopping around for a winder now that I own two automatics!!!

Kenton
nolawis

Watchwinder

Post by nolawis »

Sam,

I've been a TZ member for quite some time and don't recall this offer. I just logged onto the site and checked the homepage to no avail. Can you post a link? I'd like to buy a winder or two. Thanks a bunch.

Nw
Fair winds and following seas.
Hawkeye5

Post by Hawkeye5 »

May well be worth it for those that have an auto wind watch, which I do. Mine is on the winder every night and most all the weekend. But, alas, it was an inexpensive winder. It was silent for the first two months or so, but then started making noise like a threshing machine. It is no longer in my bedroom, but still works well, just makes too much noise.
John
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Also, the link may go to orbita.net.

Dont use the link, go to www.orbita.com. Click where you see beta testing. This is a $250 machine, going for $100 and that includes shipping. AC current, not battery.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Stupid question: I wear the same watch every day, take it off at night, put it back on in the morning. There's no reason for a guy like me to even want a watch winder, is there?
Just was confused when I saw a comment about the watch being on the winder every night.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

If you only have one automatic watch, no need for a winder. Dont really need one if you have two or more. Worst thing is that they run down and you reset them. Yet a winder will reduce wear and tear on the crown and stem, and seals therein, and will redistribute the oils if you leave them for a long time. At $100, I popped for it, and if I dont like it, I could theoretically sell it for more than that. They run like $250 for a regular battery Oribta single watchwinder.
Teuton

Post by Teuton »

I collect hand-wound watches myself. I have an Zurigo Teak box.
groucho

Post by groucho »

I would have wanted one of those winders since I have two automatics. But I just found them too expensive. Settled for this: http://www.amazon.com/Tech-Swiss-Double ... 519&sr=8-3, yet it makes me very happy. No problems with it.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Groucho: I read the reviews on that and they are a mixed bag. The Orbita gets rave reviews at Timezone and the unit is made in the US and has a warranty. If anyone wanted to check it out, go straight to the Orbita website. I would have passed but $100 price, that is like $140.00 off and IT INCLUDES shipping charges. I could not pass it up
groucho

Post by groucho »

Sam: I agree that the Orbita is an infinitely better and most tasteful machine. Now that you mention it, I'm finding it difficult to shake off the obsession of scraping up a hundred bucks to buy a second watchwinder. :?

It's just that my present winder is pretty functional.
Laager

Post by Laager »

Sam wrote:...a winder will reduce wear and tear on the crown and stem, and seals therein, and will redistribute the oils if you leave them for a long time.
Winders are really only useful for people with complicated calendars. The amount of wear and tear on a crown and its seals is next to nothing. They are made to be used.

As for leaving a watch on a winder for a long time, it's just increasing wear on parts. Newer synthetic oils don't evaporate like the older mineral oils. By leaving the watch on the winder all you do is keep the watch running and keep the parts wearing against each other.

A stopped watch doesn't wear out.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Laager, I would not keep a watch on a winder if I did not plan to wear it that week. I just have two, well, my wife got a Rolex today, so I will keep a watch going just to avoid having to set it in the morning. Ill wear one, and wind the other, and if my wife does not wear her Rolex, I can pop hers on during the evening to keep it wound for the next 30 hours

Sam
Laager

Post by Laager »

Sam wrote:.....wound for the next 30 hours
Any modern Rolex will last 2 - 2.5 days from fully wound. A Daytona - 3 days. If you're not getting at least 2 days out of it then there's something wrong with it.