Fountain Pens

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
bbqncigars

Post by bbqncigars »

I would just like to add that, one consideration aside, you can't go wrong with a Vanishing Point. That consideration is can you live with the clip placement? The VP is a love/hate pen. Most, like myself, love it. Some whose grip conflicts with the clip, hate it. If you buy one and don't like it, there is little likelihood that you won't be able to get your money back out of it. There are quite a few nibmeisters out there who will modify VP nibs to suit your style for not much money. Pendemonium charges $15 for most VP nib modifications, FWIW. I love my VP, and it is the one pen I would not do without. A great writer that always starts with any ink I've tried in it.

Wayne
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant
GregPQ

Post by GregPQ »

bbqncigars wrote:I would just like to add that, one consideration aside, you can't go wrong with a Vanishing Point. That consideration is can you live with the clip placement? The VP is a love/hate pen. Most, like myself, love it. Some whose grip conflicts with the clip, hate it. If you buy one and don't like it, there is little likelihood that you won't be able to get your money back out of it. There are quite a few nibmeisters out there who will modify VP nibs to suit your style for not much money. Pendemonium charges $15 for most VP nib modifications, FWIW. I love my VP, and it is the one pen I would not do without. A great writer that always starts with any ink I've tried in it.
That's exactly what I've heard about the VP. That if you can live with the clip placement, you love the pen. My question is, does the chronic "ink creep" associated with Noodlers' inks mess up a VP?

I use a Waterman Phileas and a Pelikan M200 every day. Every once in a while, I think it would be nice NOT to have to unscrew the cap. Maybe there's a VP in my future...
Greg
Fiat lux, et facta est lux. Que la lumière soit, et la lumière fut. Let there be light, and there was light.
Pete_T

Post by Pete_T »

GregPQ wrote:
bbqncigars wrote:I would just like to add that, one consideration aside, you can't go wrong with a Vanishing Point. That consideration is can you live with the clip placement? The VP is a love/hate pen. Most, like myself, love it. Some whose grip conflicts with the clip, hate it. If you buy one and don't like it, there is little likelihood that you won't be able to get your money back out of it. There are quite a few nibmeisters out there who will modify VP nibs to suit your style for not much money. Pendemonium charges $15 for most VP nib modifications, FWIW. I love my VP, and it is the one pen I would not do without. A great writer that always starts with any ink I've tried in it.
That's exactly what I've heard about the VP. That if you can live with the clip placement, you love the pen. My question is, does the chronic "ink creep" associated with Noodlers' inks mess up a VP?

I use a Waterman Phileas and a Pelikan M200 every day. Every once in a while, I think it would be nice NOT to have to unscrew the cap. Maybe there's a VP in my future...
Greg
You can remove the clip from the VPs. Theres a thread on doing it on FPN, and I think you might be able to hire R Binder to do it. Theyre supposed to look great afterwards. If I got VP Id have to do that, that clip makes me think of a toilet in the middle of a living room.
NineMinuteNap

Post by NineMinuteNap »

I started using fountain pens about 6 months ago. My first was a Lamy Safari, then I started trolling antique stores for old Esterbrooks, picked up a NOS Pelikan Go! from eBay and recently got an old Schaeffer school pen from the FPN forum marketplace.

I must admit that the best writing pen in my small collection is the $10 Pelikano Jr. I picked up on a whim a couple weeks ago. The contoured grip takes a little getting used to, and it doesn't have a clip on the cap, so it will roll if set on a slanted surface, but it's cheap & rugged enough to live in the pocket of my jeans.

I'm thinking about getting a couple more so I can have a variety of colors & inks to choose from for taking notes & doing homework.

They're cheap & fairly bulletproof since they are intended for school-age kids who are just learning to write. I think they're as good a starter pen as you're likely to find & if you end up not liking it, you've spent less than you would on a tub of shaving cream.
--Michael

Tomorrow I was nothing. Yesterday I'll be.
bbqncigars

Post by bbqncigars »

Greg:
I haven't noticed any problems from the infamous Noodler's nib creep on any of my pens so far (knocks on wood).

Wayne
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I haven't read this whole thread, so please forgive me if I repeat what has already been said.

I have a Vanishing Point, and I think it is a fantastic pen. It has a nib that is both flexible and smooth. The clip gets in my way just slightly, but it is such that I can still adjust to it.

One thing that I have observed with this pen is that, if you don't use it for awhile, the ink evaporates. This can require me to change ink cartridges when I haven't done much writing.

- Murray
Teuton

Post by Teuton »

look for a used P51, excellent starter pen and might end up being your favorite.