Pet peeves at a restaraunt

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Pet peeves at a restaraunt

Post by Sam »

So what are things that you either notice, or things that you just can not understand why they can not get it right?

1) I dont want my wife and I to be greeted, " Welcome to so and so guys"

2) Food that is not hot
AlbertAnthrax

Post by AlbertAnthrax »

smoking in or near the non-smoking area

wait staff that feels entitled to gratuity
Paul
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I get annoyed at the following:

1). When I am asked how the food is with a mouthful or without even having had a chance to taste the food yet.

2). When servers try to build a personal relationship by being overly chatty/flirty while I am eating - especially with my wife or daughter present.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rob

Post by Rob »

Cellphones and unruly/bratty kids.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Rob_TN wrote:Cellphones and unruly/bratty kids.

Muhahaha. I caught your edit!

I was going to say: "wait until you have kids!"
Richard
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Empty water glasses.
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

When you place an order and the waiter/waitress does not write it down. Then when the food comes and it's not the correct order.

I also hate when you ask for specifics like no mayo or no shredded lettuce and the proceed to bring it to you the way you did not want it. Though it may not be the waiters fault, they should check the order before bringing it out to you.

I absolutely hate crumbs on the table.
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
Loki

Post by Loki »

sweeping the floor near my table when I'm eating.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I get annoyed at the following:

1). When I am asked how the food is with a mouthful or without even having had a chance to taste the food yet.

2). When servers try to build a personal relationship by being overly chatty/flirty while I am eating - especially with my wife or daughter present.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Austin wrote:Empty water glasses.
My beer should never be empty! :lol:
Richard
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

I think what gets on me and my wife's nerves the most is when you and your family have completed the meal but the waitress is nowhere to be found. So you sit and wait but the check never comes. We have sat for 20 mins before and finally she makes her presence "can I get you anything else" she says and you are thinking "yeah, how bout the f#*&%$g bill!". What I also hate is when some appetizers or a pre-dinner salad shows up at the same time as your entree. :x
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Big Swifty wrote: What I also hate is when some appetizers or a pre-dinner salad shows up at the same time as your entree. :x
Ditto!

Also, I hate it when the workers (mostly at fast food places) yell at you when you walk through the door, "Welcome to whatever!" I don't like to be screamed at.

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Here is my list:

being called honey, boss, dear or anything similar.

an empty beer glass

being served starters and before they are finished the main course arrives

waiting for the bill

being seated and two seconds later the server is asking you for an order

cell phones and bratty kids (excluding Richards princess)

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

I hate it when the waiters at Hooters wear too many clothes.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Forgot about that one Scott :lol: :lol:

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

All of the above
BrianP

Post by BrianP »

Dirty/stained menus.

Wobbly tables.
"But you're not as confused as him are you. I mean, it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel."

brian
rdb4198

Post by rdb4198 »

Oh man, I have a few (they've already been mentioned, but oh well):

Servers that just EXPECT a tip, even when they provide subpar service to my group.

Insisting on taking your order without a pad, and then totally ruin your order.

Requesting something special (ie. no mushrooms) then receiving them. I then ask for no mushrooms and they g wipe them off half-heartedly. I also tell them I'm allergic so they have to make the order over again.

Sorry, just had some bad experiences lately.
Rob
Rob

Post by Rob »

rustyblade wrote:
Rob_TN wrote:Cellphones and unruly/bratty kids.

Muhahaha. I caught your edit!

I was going to say: "wait until you have kids!"
Heh! You're right. I did have it as just "Cellphones and kids." But then I thought, no, that's not right. I did have dinner on Friday night at a Korean restaurant that was also serving many well-behaved kids, so I should be fair in my gripes.
M.A.H.

Post by M.A.H. »

Servers who do not know the sequence of taking orders or plating the table, to change the wine glasses when another bottle is ordered, who do not know their own menu items or specials, do not know the wine list or worse pretend to know and do not, cannot open a wine bottle (I have had to open wine myself several time), cannot keep filled; water glasses, wine glasses, breadbaskets, or butter on the table, bring the appetizers and or salads with the main course, rush the courses when I am with others, do not rush the food when I am alone, and several other pet peeves.

I used to drop plates at a white cloth restaurant when I was in school. Being a waiter is hard work being great waiter takes takes skill. However everything I listed are basic skills in any decent place and are not difficult to learn.

The other side
I used to hate customers who faked wine knowledge, did not know how to tip; you tip, you do not tip less than 15%, 20% is becoming a standard unless the waiter did not do his or her job - it is not the waiters fault if the chef failed to prepare the food well, used a coupon or discount card and did not tip on the pre-discounted amount, ordered food with everything on the side (why are you eating at a good restaurant if you do not want the food prepared the way it is supposed to be?), who lingered an hour after closing time over coffee, and several other pet peeves.

I am not as bad as I sound.