Manual? or Automatic?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).

What do you *primarily* drive?

Don't drive
6%
Automatic---haven't learned manual
4%
Automatic because I prefer automatic
32%
Automatic but prefer manual
21%
Manual but prefer automatic
No votes
Manual because I prefer manual
38%

Total votes: 72

notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

sparkchaser wrote:... but when you get to those windy roads...oh yeah!
First time I read this, I wondered "Why is he talking about the wind? Surely it doesn't make any difference, unless we're talking about a tornado. And does one road really get more windy weather than the others? Maybe downtown with all the buildings..."

Now I get it. :oops:
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

I own and drive a manual car. I much prefer them to automatics. For some reason, I just feel more 'in touch' with the car. It also gives me control to decide how I want to drive.

I will say though that it is a pain when driving in congested areas.
rdb4198

Post by rdb4198 »

I have and I prefer manual. It's such a great feeling shifting through the gears myself instead of having an auto transmission do it for me.
Rob
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I have and prefer an Auto. I'm 6'7" with very long legs and operating a clutch is somewhat awkward.
Last edited by Gaz on Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Jeff

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein
BarryR

Post by BarryR »

I've never bought anything but a manual. I find them much more enjoyable to drive. Even when I was commuting in NYC traffic, I preferred it. It's a a little tough finding family sedans in the US with nice feature and a manual but our 4 cylinder Accord EX is a manual (my car's and Infiniti G35 6 speed).
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Interesting. At this point, if guys had their druthers, the manual transmission would dominate. I assume that the "automatic but prefer manual" is usually because the partner can't/doesn't drive with a manual transmission.
BarryR

Post by BarryR »

Leisureguy wrote:Interesting. At this point, if guys had their druthers, the manual transmission would dominate. I assume that the "automatic but prefer manual" is usually because the partner can't/doesn't drive with a manual transmission.
At least guys who choose to shave with DE Razors (and write with Fountain Pens). I have a hunch the gen'l population might be more pro-Automatic. Incidentally, luckily for me, is perfectly comfortable with a manual (probably because she's Japanese and like Europe they have a lot more manuals).
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Although I had a brief fling with automatics, I’ve mostly had manuals. Currently drive a 5-Series BMW, and wife will only drive a manual sedan (SAAB). Taught her to drive stick years ago, and that was that. The range in mid-size sedans with manual is unfortunately becoming increasingly limited in the U.S.

Living in the city, there is another curious advantage to manuals: no one steals them! Nowadays, it apparently is the rare juvenile miscreant who knows how to drive a manual.

Steve
drumana

Post by drumana »

I have and like my manual transmission. .
-Andrew-
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

I switch up. Sometimes I drive my 88 Jeep Commanche which is a manual and I also drive our other vehicle, a 2000 Taurus which is an automatic. I prefer the automatic.

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
JP

Post by JP »

I'm not voting because the wording of the answers don't match up for me. I'm driving an automatic simply because the vehicle didn't have a manual as an option.
MCsommerreid

Post by MCsommerreid »

I suppose I could be counted in the "manual" camp, until someone invents the automatic bicycle gear shift.
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Shimano makes one, used on the Trek Coaster and others. See also this article.