In word, how do you make the degree symbol

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

In word, how do you make the degree symbol

Post by Sam »

I am needing to include in a Word document the degree symbol, for use in describing a coordinate, as in degrees, minutes and seconds. Since minutes and seconds use the symbols ' and ", I have that

Help?

Sam
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

Sam,

See this site. To get a degree symbol, press the 'Alt' button and 0176 on the numeric key pad on the side of the keyboard.

Ren
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Thank you sir. I am bookmarking that site.
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Here's what I do: Alt-I, S brings up the "insert symbol" table. Find the degree mark and insert it, then close the symbol table.

Highlight just the degree mark and copy it (Ctrl-C). Then Alt-T, A brings up Autocorrect. The degree symbol should be on the right side of the "add" dialog. On the left, type "deg" (without the quotation marks). Click "okay" to add it.

From now on, when you need the degree symbol, just type deg and the symbol will be inserted.

In a similar fashion, I added things to Autocorrect so that $c inserts the cents mark, $l the pound-sterling sign, $e the Euro sign, and $y the Yen sign.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Leisureguy on Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hawkeye5

Post by Hawkeye5 »

I have found that you can put a symbol you use a lot into your spell checkers. I do a lot of legal reference work and have added the legal 'section' mark to my Word and email spell checkers at work. With the auto-change feature all you have to do is substitute the state code, for instance Tennessee Code Annotated, or TCA to include the section symbol. The spell checker will make the change automatically.
John
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

John, please tell me how to do that. Sounds like a perfect idea.
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

The Autocorrect method I described above will do that. Let me know if you have questions about it.
Hawkeye5

Post by Hawkeye5 »

Sam, Mr. Ham has it correct.
As I use the 'section' symbol every time I cite a statute, I have the spell checker auto correct set to replace the Tennessee Code Annotated abbreviation (TCA) with TCA + the section symbol. The symbol will pop right in automatically as soon as you hit the space bar, but what you are actually doing is replacing TCA with TCA + the section symbol: TCA § 56-8-116.
I believe the auto correct feature is found in the Tools drop down of the spell checker in Word and in the email program I use at work.
In order for this method to be of benefit to you the phrase used must be the same every time, which mine is. I cite statute dozens of times during a normal day. Your use, for a degree symbol, may not work that well with this method unless you use some short hand as Michael does.
Michael's first suggestion might work better in your case.
Last edited by Hawkeye5 on Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:26 pm, edited 8 times in total.
John
NickNCut

Post by NickNCut »

If in the future you are looking for a character anything from ® (circle R), ∞ (infinity), Ω (omega), π (pi) ect. including hebrew, chinese, thai.
Go "Start" - "All Programs" - "Accessories" - "System tools" - "Character map"

This will work for Windows XP others are operating systems are close, Mac's are quite different.
Minstrel

Post by Minstrel »

NickNCut wrote:Go "Start" - "All Programs" - "Accessories" - "System tools" - "Character map"
Not all installations of Windows come with this already installed. I had to install it myself from the Control Panel (Add/Remove Programs) on my laptop running WinXP Home. Handy to have, though.
DEF

Post by DEF »

Thanks for that brilliant tip, Michael.
Doug
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

And here's another trick for Autocorrect: I have a compulsion to use diacritical remarks if they're in the original word. For example, I hate to see "jalapenos" or "habaneros" in text, so naturally I made Autocorrect entries to convert those automatically to "jalapeños" and "habañeros". I have one for "Karité" as well. But how about "Pré de Provence"? You don't want every instance of "pre" coverted to "Pré". So for that one, I used the entire name: "Pre de Provence" gets converted to "Pré de Provence". "Pre" by itself does nothing.

Final note: when you apply for a job, you send them a "résumé". Now you can't very well autocorrect "resume" to "résumé"---sometimes you MEAN "resume". So I made an autocorrect entry that converts "resumay" to "résumé". :)
Minstrel

Post by Minstrel »

Leisureguy wrote:I hate to see "jalapenos" or "habaneros" in text
Actually, the peppers are called habaneros, not "habañeros". The letter "ñ" is called "enje" in Spanish (as opposed to "n" which is called "ene"), and is pronounced "nj". Since "habanero" is the name of someone or something from Havana, it's very unlikely that it should contain "ñ".

And at the risk of being an anal b*st*rd, I must also point out that it's called a "resumé". :shock:
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Thanks for the tip re: habaneros. I did know the name of the letter ñ, but hadn't known the origin of the name of the peppers. I stand corrected, and many thanks.

So far as the word for the CV, Merriam-Webster says that it's spelled résumé, with resumé as a variant. So I'll stick with the standard spelling, with both e's having accents (as in protégé).
Minstrel

Post by Minstrel »

Leisureguy wrote:So far as the word for the CV, Merriam-Webster says that it's spelled résumé, with resumé as a variant. So I'll stick with the standard spelling, with both e's having accents (as in protégé).
By golly, you're absolutely right. I just haven't seen it spelled with two accents before. On the other hand, English is a foreign language to me. :) (And so is Spanish, of course.)
Proraso Man

Post by Proraso Man »

Thanks°