ed

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Casablanca

Post by qed-usa »

Todd -

Now you see why on my list of my 10 favorite movies, Casablanca rated #1.

This is a simple yet impressive film. My wife says there isn't one wasted line in the movie.

Tough-guy bogart playing a romantic character ... and boy, does he ever pull it off. No one, absolutely no one can delivery a line like Bogart. "There are parts of New York I suggest you not attack.", "Here's looking at you, kid.", "I stick my neck out for no one.", "Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world ... she walks into mine.", "Play it, Sam ... play 'As Time Goes By'."...

Claude Rains was absolutely suberb as Renault. That short shit, with his pencil moustache and hat cocked to one side, "Rick is a citizen of the world", "Round up the usual suspects.".

I understand they shot a couple different endings to the movie ... however, I can't imagine a better one. Rick and Renault walking across a fog-drenched tarmac, "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

So, Todd, what do you say, Casablanca is #1???

Ok, Ok, I know 'The Quite Man' is another great one. Though I think John Wayne became a much better actor in later years, he puts in a wonderful performance in this movie. And yes, the supporting cast has some of the best character actors ... Maureen, Victor, Barry, etc. And yes the kick in the face John gets from Victor to start one of the best fights in cinema is really exciting. Ok, it almost ties with Casablanca.

But wait, there's 'Top Hat', my favorite musical. And then there's 'Robin Hood'.

You're right, they simply don't make movies like this because they lack the GREAT character actors ... hell, they lack the great Stars!

Regards,
Charles
Q E D
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Casablanca

Post by qed-usa »

T -

A Touch of Evil is another excellent film! Great performance by Welles, no doubt.

Victor Buono ... crap, I don't know. I will have to ask the expert (my wife).

Yeah, I know trying to come up with the #1 movie is like trying to select the best book you've ever read. As my wife says, people who ask such questions are not movie-watchers or readers. Hey, wait a minute, I'm the one who started the string on best movies!!!

Hell, my taste runs to watching the 3 Stooges marathon on AMC. Boy, don't tell me I don't know how to usher in the New Year with my lady (she sat next to me).

All right, forcing your hand, where's Top Hat rate!!! Not only is the clothing in this move fantastic, but the dancing and the music is incredible. Certainly you are touched when Astaire and Rodgers dance to "Cheek to Cheek". At any rate, gents today should take a look at this movie if they want to see real "style" in men's dress. And note that lean-forward rhythemic walking style of Astaire. Man, there's a guy that'd catch your eye on a crowded street. Not handsome ... nope, not one bit ... but stylish as hell.

Regards,
Charles
Q E D
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Casablanca

Post by qed-usa »

Hmmmm-m-m...

Don't get over-excited seeing the multi-talented James Cagney tap dancing across the top of a long bar (in, yes, a relatively simple movie) shortly after making Public Enemy??? The dancing was incredible, the music fabulous. That was the joy of such films.

The themes were simple, basically, boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy wins girl back.

The visual razzle-dazzle (along with some fabulous music) of the series of spectacular musicals made by Busby Berkeley are national treasures.

Cagney revealed his favorite film (starring Cagney) was Yankee Doodle Dandy, a musical.

Regards,
Charles
Q E D