Martini coktail

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
bugaz

Martini coktail

Post by bugaz »

Guys,
I always wanted to try Martini. Can you tell me please if sweet (not dry) vermouth is ok to use in classic Martini? Also, is it possible to make a martini without ice, at the room temperature? Would you like to share any of your secrets for the perfect Martini? Is Chinzano acceptable substitute for Martini vermouth?
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Alex
Never too old
sparkchaser

Post by sparkchaser »

All I will say is I make mine extra dry and go room temperature at your own peril.
-Rob in Lynchburg
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

I've been wondering the same thing - how to make a good martini. I got Bombay Sapphire Gin and both Martini & Rossi Sweet and Dry Vermouths. Do those make sense together? Well, the gin and one or the other of the vermouths . . .

Mike
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

de gustibus non est disputandum
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

I love a good Martini, but I can't make one worth a damn. My father, on the other hand, makes them really well. Naturally, I visit as often as possible. :wink:
~Greg
kd7kip

Re: Martini coktail

Post by kd7kip »

bugaz wrote:Guys,
I always wanted to try Martini. Can you tell me please if sweet (not dry) vermouth is ok to use in classic Martini? Also, is it possible to make a martini without ice, at the room temperature? Would you like to share any of your secrets for the perfect Martini? Is Chinzano acceptable substitute for Martini vermouth?
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Alex
I applaud your resolve, wishing to make an authentic Martini. These days, when I order one in a bar I usually get "Oh we have really yummy Apple-tini's" from the waitress. Makes me cringe.

Sweet vermouth can be used, thus making a "Sweet Martini". Personally this disturbs my sensibilities, since a Martini should be dry, clean and cold. Try dry vermouth (French or Italian) first.

possible to make a Martini without ice, at the room temperature? Yes, and its possible to make a purse out of a sows ear, but why? Tepid Martini is like tepid ice creme-- you're missing the whole essence of the drink.

Is Chinzano acceptable substitute for Martini vermouth? Acceptable to whom? There are no cocktail police who will hunt you down, but since Cinzano is an Italian vermouth, it would be fine.

How I make a Martini:

Take mixing glass with 5 ice cubes
Add 4 oz London dry Gin (Beefeater's, Boodle's, Gordon's, Bombay, etc.) The bottle can be kept in the freezer
Add 1/2 to 1 oz vermouth (Noilly Pratt is a favourite). I don't like a Martini that's too dry-- if I want straight Gin I'll drink that
Add one dash of orange bitters
Stir for 30 seconds or so-- you want a little dilution
Strain into chilled cocktail glass
Add twist of lemon zest (no olive, leaves an oily finish)

Repeat...

-Scott
Dumb as a stump and twice as ugly...
reggiano

Post by reggiano »

I'm a regular Martini drinker. A Martini cocktail is always made with gin, so for those who like vodka, order a Vodka Martini and don't confuse the issue!

I never keep my gin in the freezer, as I believe the dilution that happens in the making of the drink is important.

I prefer Plymouth gin, which is lower alcohol (82 proof, I believe). I put the gin in a Martini shaker filled with ice, and use Boissiere dry vermouth (or Noilly Pratt is fine too), at a ratio of 5 to 1. I stir for 30 -45 seconds, strain into a frozen Martini glass (always keep one in the freezer), and skewer 3 pimento stuffed olives onto a toothpick.

I also like Hendricks gin, but tend to use a twist of lemon peel when I make those.

As a side note, when I am feeling up to it, I will buy gourmet olives at the farmers market, and replace the brine with Vermouth- the ultimate Martini olive.

Cheers!
kd7kip

Post by kd7kip »

reggiano wrote:I'm a regular Martini drinker. A Martini cocktail is always made with gin, so for those who like vodka, order a Vodka Martini and don't confuse the issue!

I never keep my gin in the freezer, as I believe the dilution that happens in the making of the drink is important.

I prefer Plymouth gin, which is lower alcohol (82 proof, I believe). I put the gin in a Martini shaker filled with ice, and use Boissiere dry vermouth (or Noilly Pratt is fine too), at a ratio of 5 to 1. I stir for 30 -45 seconds, strain into a frozen Martini glass (always keep one in the freezer), and skewer 3 pimento stuffed olives onto a toothpick.

I also like Hendricks gin, but tend to use a twist of lemon peel when I make those.

As a side note, when I am feeling up to it, I will buy gourmet olives at the farmers market, and replace the brine with Vermouth- the ultimate Martini olive.

Cheers!
So many good points in this one. Hear, hear!

I forgot to mention in mine that after stirring for a while, I let it sit for 30-60 seconds. I agree that dilution is critical, but I also like it very cold-- but then I tend to drink Martinis in the warmer months.

-Scott
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Thanks for the tips... :)
MrSmooth

Post by MrSmooth »

reggiano wrote:(snip)
I prefer Plymouth gin, which is lower alcohol (82 proof, I believe).
(snip)
I'm with you on preparation 100% (I always use Noilly Prat though) except on choice of gin.

I tried Plymouth gin on this groups' recommendation, and frankly, I don't care for it -- then again, it isn't really very dry. For that matter, I find Bombay Sapphire to not be all that either. (That said, I'd not turn them down if offered)

My top gin choices are Tanqueray 10 and Anchor Junipero. Hendrick's for honorable mention. I am also pleasantly surprised with a cheap gin, Gordon's London Dry (yes, the one you can get 1.5L for under $20USD), although it definitely isn't up to the standards of the other two.

Gin flavor is a very personal thing. The best way to find your favorite is to drink a lot of martinis and explore your way through the diversity available.
John
Chifunda

Post by Chifunda »

As a confirmed and long time martiniphile, I wholeheartedly endorse reggiano's method in it's entirety: Plymouth gin at room temperature, Noily Pratt dry vermouth, 5:1, stirred and strained into a frozen martini glass, three olives. Absent the Plymouth gin I'm great fan of Bombay (not Sapphire.)

For variety's sake I frequently substitute cocktail onions for the olives which of course results in a Gibson.

David
Last edited by Chifunda on Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
kd7kip

Post by kd7kip »

MrSmooth wrote:
reggiano wrote:(snip)
I prefer Plymouth gin, which is lower alcohol (82 proof, I believe).
(snip)
I'm with you on preparation 100% (I always use Noilly Prat though) except on choice of gin.

I tried Plymouth gin on this groups' recommendation, and frankly, I don't care for it -- then again, it isn't really very dry. For that matter, I find Bombay Sapphire to not be all that either. (That said, I'd not turn them down if offered)

My top gin choices are Tanqueray 10 and Anchor Junipero. Hendrick's for honorable mention. I am also pleasantly surprised with a cheap gin, Gordon's London Dry (yes, the one you can get 1.5L for under $20USD), although it definitely isn't up to the standards of the other two.

Gin flavor is a very personal thing. The best way to find your favorite is to drink a lot of martinis and explore your way through the diversity available.
I could not agree more about Gordon's. Some find it harsh, but I love its full Gin flavour. Bombay Sapphire is blue, its only noteworthy quality.

-Scott
jvan
Mr. Vintage Himself

Post by jvan »

I have been around long enough to be drinking martinis for about forty years now so when I started out the martini was gin and vermouth. The drink was either shaken or stirred with ice and strained into a stemmed martini glass, as I recall the on-the-rocks version came into vogue a bit later.

Over all of these years Gordon's London Dry has been my gin of choice, nothing real fancy or confusing with a batch of botanicals just a good martini gin.

I don't recall when the vodka martini became popular but in my mind it never was a martini in the first place. Sometime in the 70's they came out with a product called ginka, which was a 50/50 mix supposedly for those who could not make up their mind. Fortunately it was short lived.

What they have done to the martini of late is damned shame. "Would you like to see our martini menu"? What's with a menu, it contains two ingredients? Over the years the farthest that I would stray off the path was to give the nod to a Gibson on occasion but even back when they invented that drink they had the decency to change its name. That showed some class that is sorely lacking in today's saloons.

I don't mean to rant but this is a subject near and dear to my palette and I occasionally mount my high horse when the topic surfaces.

Play around all you want with your gin to vermouth ratio and find a mix that you really enjoy, and if you can, become a martini snob, we need more of you.
John V
"What one relishes, nourishes"

Benjamin Franklin
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

jvan wrote: I don't recall when the vodka martini became popular but in my mind it never was a martini in the first place.
Is Commander Bond to blame in some way?
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
Chifunda

Post by Chifunda »

jvan wrote: What they have done to the martini of late is damned shame. "Would you like to see our martini menu"? What's with a menu, it contains two ingredients?
Can I get an Amen for that?

David
MrSmooth

Post by MrSmooth »

MrSmooth wrote:I am also pleasantly surprised with a cheap gin, Gordon's London Dry (yes, the one you can get 1.5L for under $20USD), although it definitely isn't up to the standards of the other two.
You know, I think I really meant that Gordon's definitely isn't up to the reputation of the other two....

Still, dem fine gin sir, dem fine.
John
sparkchaser

Post by sparkchaser »

Chifunda wrote:
jvan wrote: What they have done to the martini of late is damned shame. "Would you like to see our martini menu"? What's with a menu, it contains two ingredients?

David
How about a So Say We All?

I'm going to have to remember to use that martini menu line.
-Rob in Lynchburg
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

sparkchaser wrote:
Chifunda wrote:

David
How about a So Say We All?
Frakkin'-A!

:mrgreen:
~Greg
Bertie Wooster

Sweet Vermouth in a Martini

Post by Bertie Wooster »

For God's sake man are you mad!!! Never ever put sweet Vermouth into a true Martini. Sweet Vermouth only belongs in a Manhatten.

A good Martini will be made from Gin only and have a hint of dry Vermouth. I usually take the cap from the Vermouth bottle and pour a little in that and then pour it into the Martini glass, roll it around and then pour it out. Then pour in your ice cold Gin from your shaker.

And I prefer mine stirred and not shaken.

Enjoy.
Some people are raised and others are just jerked up.
TstebinsB

Post by TstebinsB »

reggiano wrote:I'm a regular Martini drinker. A Martini cocktail is always made with gin, so for those who like vodka, order a Vodka Martini and don't confuse the issue!

Cheers!
I sometimes moonlight as a bartender and nowadays, everyone assumes a martini is made with Vodka. In fact, if you make it with gin, people will think you don't know what you're doing! Hmph!