Beer of the day...!!

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Hraefn

Post by Hraefn »

Blue moon is the beer of the day here it is a blegium white with a nice light foral citurs taste, and thunder clouds they are a black and tan made with boulevard wheat and their bully porter.
Thus he shewed me: and, behold, the LORD stood upon a wall made by a plumbline, with a plumbline in his hand.
DEF

Post by DEF »

Hraefn wrote:Blue moon is the beer of the day here it is a blegium white with a nice light foral citurs taste, and thunder clouds they are a black and tan made with boulevard wheat and their bully porter.
Did you drink the Blue Moon with a slice of orange? Somehow it just demands it.
Doug
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

DEF wrote:
Hraefn wrote:Blue moon is the beer of the day here it is a blegium white with a nice light foral citurs taste, and thunder clouds they are a black and tan made with boulevard wheat and their bully porter.
Did you drink the Blue Moon with a slice of orange? Somehow it just demands it.
While on business in Colorado I saw a locally brewed beer being served with a slice of orange in it... I thought I would regurgitate my "Dark German Beer" after seeing that. It's bad enough when I see Coronas with a Lime in it, but an orange slice, come on...

Southern slang is about to kick in since I've had several "Dark German Beers", "IF YOU ARE GOING TO DRINK BEER, DRINK BEER". If you want a Sangria, order one. Sheesh...
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

Two comments on Oscars post:

1. Lime wedges are used in Mexico to act as a bottle cap. Why? Here it comes.....they are placed on the opening of the bottle to keep flies from going into your beer. They are not for taste. Limes grow in incredible abundance in Mexico (I think the can grow the trees on concrete) so they are very, very cheap and that's why the lime wedge became a bottle cap. It's an American thing (think fortune cookie) to suck the lime or put the juice into the beer. Limes are only used with tequila as a flavor.

2. My saying about beer is: "I don't drink beer that you can see through"

Thanks for listening.

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
DEF

Post by DEF »

Well, Belgian beer recipes call for everything from coriander to orange peel to rock sugar candy, so it's not illogical to garnish in kind. If you want to go all Reinheitsgebot, then more power to you, but I'm an equal-opportunity sot. :wink:
Doug
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Trumperman wrote:Two comments on Oscars post:

Regards,

Bill
I agree 100%. If you can see through it, why waste your time. We have similar tastes in beer. I really enjoy "Dark Beer". As you all know I prefer "Dark German Beer', but I have had to substitute a different version on occasion, but always "Dark" and "Strong". It must be my German Ancestory. But I also enjoy strong coffee. It must be in my blood.

Enjoy your shave and your Bier/Beer, which ever your preference...

v/r
(Racso) Oscar...
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Trumperman wrote:Two comments on Oscars post:

Regards,

Bill
I agree 100%. If you can see through it, why waste your time. We have similar tastes in beer. I really enjoy "Dark Beer". As you all know I prefer "Dark German Beer', but I have had to substitute a different version on occasion, but always "Dark" and "Strong". It must be my German Ancestory. But I also enjoy strong coffee. It must be in my blood.

Enjoy your shave and your Bier/Beer, which ever your preference...

v/r
(Racso) Oscar...
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

If you stop in Colorado, be sure to try a Saint Bridget's Porter from Great Divide Brewing. Definitely hoppier than any other Porter I've had, most a little too sweet for me, sending me to stouts. Yet this is one of the best beers I've ever consumed.
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
drumana

Post by drumana »

Becks! (Clive will be proud)
-Andrew-
DEF

Post by DEF »

I homebrewed an altbier recipe this weekend; I have 5 gal. fermenting now. It's going to be a light brown, medium bodied, aggressively hopped beer (Hallertau and Spalt hops).

This was also my first all-grain batch; all of the fermentable sugars came from my very own mash, versus commercially prepared malt extracts. I took it as a good sign when a bee landed on the nozzle of my mash tun.

This coming weekend I'll most likely brew an unassuming English bitter, just to have a basic utility brew in circulation. I recently had my first six of Fuller's London Pride, which is now one of my favorite beers.
Doug
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Well done, Doug. What sort of mash tun do you use? My all-grain kit is a converted cooler with a stainless steel hose braid for a filter. Works beautifully.

I'd also love to hear the alt recipe. Alt is my favorite style, and one I haven't brewed in far too long, come to think of it. Few commercial examples are available stateside (and even fewer in TX), and most of those have only recently become available, so this is a beer style that (like many others) for years was basically kept alive by homebrewers. Good show.

Fuller's London Pride is a terrific beer. I really love a good, traditional bitter or best bitter, and like alts, there are all too few available commercially here, though in the case of bitter it makes sense, as it's a beer best consumed young. Looking forward to hearing about both that upcoming brew session and the maiden voyage of your all-grain kit.

Best,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

Thursday: half of Castle Rock Harvest Pale / half of Shefford Dark Mild / glass of Laphroaig.
Friday / Saturday: couple of cans of Carling (cheap, cold, fizzy, weak lager - as cheap as or cheaper than bottled water!) / glass of Elijah Craig 12 y-o Bourbon.
Sunday: bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale / glass of The Glenlivet.
DEF

Post by DEF »

Tim --

Thanks for the good words. Stand by; I'll send you a PM tonight with more info.
Doug
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

I know this will bring out a lot of boos from the proper beer drinkin folk but yesterday in the supermarket my curiosity got the better of me and I purchased a 6-pack of the new Budweiser american ale. Definately not a bad beer with good flavor but it will not stand up to the heartier ales out there with mega-hop flavor. But like I said I hat to try it...right?
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
iancevans

Post by iancevans »

Ten Fidy, by Oscar Blues Brewery.

Woah. This is an imperial stout by the brewery that does Dale's Pale Ale, a favorite of mine.

I'd never seen this for sale anywhere, but chanced across it tonight. If you find it I highly recommend picking some up. First rate but not for the faint of heart.

And now I need to go lie down :shock:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/oskar-blue ... idy/68107/
Ian

"Anything less than the best is a felony"
--Vanilla Ice
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Steve

What did you pay for a pack of the bud? I felt like drinking a bock the other day but was rather light in the wallet so I picked up the Michelob (?)...$7!!! I nearly died laughing when the clerk told me that it cost so much because it is considered a premium beer.

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

It was on sale for $6.99 a sixer, but it was regularly priced @$7.99, premium priced here too. I also seen that they had something called Beck's octoberfest...have you tried?
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
Bonzo

Post by Bonzo »

I had some Clipper City Brewery "McHenry" beer over the weekend. Clipper City Brewery is a microbrewery located in Baltimore, MD. Nothing too fancy, a slight citrus-y opening, but it had a nice smooth finish and an overall nice taste.
John

All men, by nature, desire to know - Aristotle
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I tried it a long time ago, Steve. I didn't like it very much and have avoided any festivities since then :lol:

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Headed to Colorado Springs, CO on Monday leaving there on Thursday headed to Minneapolis, MN. Anyone have any idea what Beer I should try while I'm there? I prefer dark beer, but I'm willing to try any quality brand (local brew). :D
(Racso) Oscar...