Healthy Breakfast

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
JimReynolds

Healthy Breakfast

Post by JimReynolds »

I've been on a bit of a health kick lately and was wondering if I could actually put together a healthier meal than the following, which is my typical breakfast: 1 serving of Oatmeal (with added strawberries, blueberries & raspberries), 1 banana, 8 ounces of pomegranate juice, plus a multivitamin and fish oil supplement (omega 3-6-9). I have less control over lunch and dinner since I am rarely home for them (though I try to eat well with those too), but I always have breakfast at home and am lucky to have enough time to prepare pretty much anything.

-Jim
"Don't be a schnook. It's not how you feel, it's how you look!"
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

*walks in.... looks around.... slowly backs out and heads for the greasy comfort of the bacon thread* :wink:
~Greg
BlankTim

Post by BlankTim »

I'm going through the same thing myself. Trying to manage my calories and portion sizes a bit.
I will suggest that you should try to get a little protein to balance out all those good carbs and sugar you're taking in.

Bacon. Mmmmmmm, Bacon. :twisted:

Actually though, 1 medium egg, poached or scrambled, wouldn't be a bad idea in my book.

You're right on the money with the added fruit, and the juice.
-Tim
...So I lathered him with me shillelagh...
JimReynolds

Post by JimReynolds »

Great suggestion with an egg. I've mostly stayed away from eggs for a while because I've always had some cholesterol issues and are borderline right now, but there are definite benefits in controlled amounts so I'll start to have one a few times a week. Other than that, the oatmeal has 5g protein and the banana probably has around 1g.

As for bacon, well, I haven't had any in probably 10 years. I've also only had pizza maybe 5 times in the last 5 years (aside from pizza bagels, which are my specialty), and no junk food either, which people sometimes look funny at me for not having chips or whatever else there is like everyone else in the room. A lot of people in my family are on a cholesterol medication so I'm trying to avoid that with a controlled diet.
Timpac

Post by Timpac »

sounds like you're an oatmeal person, and the egg is definitely a good addition. If you've never tried it, scramble the egg and actually cook it into the oatmeal. I usually add it once the oatmeal starts to properly thicken, but when there's still enough time to really incorporate and cook an egg. Adds a really phenomenal richness to the oatmeal that's worth trying to see if you enjoy.
closeshave

Post by closeshave »

You could go with egg whites only, to avoid the excess cholesterol. I have purchased them in a small carton... something like "Simply Egg Whites'.
Miles
°°°°°
In a village, the barber shaves everyone who does not shave himself, but no one else. Who shaves the barber?
Bonzo

Post by Bonzo »

I love oatmeal (eat it everyday for breakfast) and usually just add a tablespoon of natural peanut butter. I get some healthy fats and a bigger dose of protein.

Do the berries get mushy when you cook the oatmeal?

Also, what kind of oatmeal do you use?
John

All men, by nature, desire to know - Aristotle
Coldshot

Post by Coldshot »

Your breakfast is all carbs. An egg could supply the protein or a glass of lowfat milk. My breakfast for years (I'm boring) has been 1 serving of oatmeal....not the instant, I use traditional Quaker oats (not the quick oats) and it takes 3 minutes in the microwave or 15 on the stove.
To that I add a handful of raisins and 2 tbsp of ground flax seed. For my protein I have 1/2 cup lowfat cottage cheese.

Something you have to consider when taking a multivitamin is fat intake. Just oatmeal and fruit may not supply any fat. When you take a multivitamin, some vitamins are water soluble and some are fat soluble. That means that some are absorbed into the body via water (such as Vitamin C) and some need fat to dissolve (A and D for instance) . They are stored in the body fat. I think the same holds true for protein (I think) which also needs fat to be absorbed into the body.
Tommy
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

It seems like that breakfast would make your blood sugar levels shoot up real fast, leading to an energy crash later in the morning. If you're afraid of cholesterol-laden protein sources, you might want to try Egg Beaters or turkey bacon.
JimReynolds

Post by JimReynolds »

Bonzo wrote:Do the berries get mushy when you cook the oatmeal? Also, what kind of oatmeal do you use?
I cook the oatmeal alone and put it in a bowl before adding the berries, and then I mix them around a bit. The raspberries break up a little since they are so fragile to begin with, but it all adds a really nice flavor to what was just plain oatmeal before. I've been using Quaker Oats.
Coldshot wrote:Your breakfast is all carbs. An egg could supply the protein or a glass of lowfat milk.
Up until now I have used water for the oatmeal, so maybe I should use skim milk instead to add some protein (the 1/2 cup serving size would be 4g).
Coldshot wrote:To that I add a handful of raisins and 2 tbsp of ground flax seed.
Raisins are a great idea, and I do have some flax seed but I find that it takes over whatever I put it in since 2 tbsp is a substantial amount. Instead, I've been eating a couple of Kashi flax bars each week, and hopefully the fish oil supplement will help too.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Scrapyard Ape wrote:*walks in.... looks around.... slowly backs out and heads for the greasy comfort of the bacon thread* :wink:
:D

I thought the same thing when I saw the topic of this post.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
salbev
Mr. Fidelity

Post by salbev »

quaker oats original oatmeal. microwave in filtered water or skim milk. for me it takes 1 min 15 sec.

then add...

2-3 tablespoons of ground flax seeds (flaxmeal) kept in the freezer. blueberries. scoop of high quality whey protein mixed in (20-30 grams).

and a multivitamin.

i think this is just about as complete, quick and easy as it gets. except maybe space food or something.
MOSES

Post by MOSES »

Hmm..... I'm probably in the "running for the bacon thread" camp too. But I do have one observation, before I go. Definitely a little protein seems like a good idea. Actually, maybe more than a little. I was eating cereal or oatmeal, fruit, and sometimes yogurt for breakfast for a while. I mentioned to someone that I was constantly feeling tired at work, and they asked what I ate for breakfast. I now eat something rather more substantial. Usually a toasted ham and cheese on an english muffin sandwich, heavy on the ham (which I make sure is fairly lean), still with fruit. Makes a world of difference in how I feel through the day. Try and see what works for you, but I've found that one egg, or one glass of milk, is not NEARLY enough protein to keep me running for the four and a half hours to lunch. (And the effects actually trickle into the afternoon, even after eating lunch.)

-Mo
Alrighty, stickim up and hand over the Coates real nice and slow like....
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

My breakfast is similar to Jim's except that I always included two slices of meat with it. As for bacon, I don't like the usual fatty stuff; instead I'll cook up a couple of thick slices of pea meal bacon.
JP

Post by JP »

All 250 or so of my closest relatives have been living to ripe old ages eating the typical high protein high calorie type of breakfasts that have been typical in American for decades. And large portions too, you have to fuel up first thing in the morning for the day ahead! But then, they also have been eating everything pretty much in moderation as well with lots of greens, veggies, and fruits thrown in. But health kicks? Not us!
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

My father and grandfather ate like horses. They worked like horses too, for much of their lives. I don't work as hard as they did, and I can't eat as much either.
drumana

Post by drumana »

My best breakfast:

1) Two eggs whole, one or two egg whites - doesn't matter how you cook 'em. . .
2) Two or three slices of ham heated up in the skillet, chopped up
3) Water - maybe a little juice to get some sugars in there. . .
4) Coffee. . . freshly ground in a french press, of course. . .

This is a great way to break my fast. . . rehydrate, get some caffeine, lots of protein, about 10 grams of fat, easy to digest. boom.
-Andrew-
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Being from Texas, I understand what a healthy breakfast consists of. Three eggs, over easy or sunny side up. Biscuits with sausage gravy. And thick sausage patties (not links!). 3 slices of bacon. Hash browns covered in gravy. Grits. White bread toast with real butter. Beverage of your choice. And then seconds of each! Oh...and a large glass of whole milk!

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

I cook oat groats (whole-grain oats), which works well for me. You might want to add a tablespoon of blackstrap molasses: 20% of ADR for iron, calcium, and potassium. Also, a tablespoon of wheat germ adds some good B vitamins, folates, etc. Oat is a complex carbohydrate, not a simple sugar, so I don't think you have to worry about an insulin crash.

The berries are a good idea; with the blackstrap, you could skip the banana (potassium source), and I think a glass of skim milk would be a good addition.

Actually, just in having a breakfast you're getting a jump on quite a few people...
texasPI
Inspector of Beards

Post by texasPI »

rtaylor61 wrote:Being from Texas, I understand what a healthy breakfast consists of. Three eggs, over easy or sunny side up. Biscuits with sausage gravy. And thick sausage patties (not links!). 3 slices of bacon. Hash browns covered in gravy. Grits. White bread toast with real butter. Beverage of your choice. And then seconds of each! Oh...and a large glass of whole milk!

Randy
Hey Randy! That's what I'm talking 'bout! No more of that since being diagnosed with sugarbetes. Aren't you diabetic too? I tried the oatmeal thing for a while but I found that it spiked my bloodsugar too much. Even a 1/2 cup with a little Splenda was no good. I now do one egg scrambled with onions, tomatoe, celery and mushrooms. 1 slice of whole wheat toast with peanut butter and a glass of 2% milk. That gets me through to my mid-morning snack which is usually a piece of fruit and something else (usually a handful of nuts).
Erik

"Work like you don't need money,
love like you've never been hurt,
and dance like no one is watching."
Aurora Greenway