Any Work Out Freaks Here?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
HBK42581

Any Work Out Freaks Here?

Post by HBK42581 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:29 pm

As a skinny guy with a lightning fast metabolism, I have always had trouble putting on pounds. Even when I hit the weights hard in college for a 6 month period I was only able to put on about 5-10 pounds of muscle. Currently I am about 6'2/6'3 and I weight a mediocre 145/150. I'd like to be able to get up to about 165/170. Anyone got any pointers? Thanks.
Scott "The Heart Break Kid"

rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:45 pm

Bacon.

:lol:
Richard

sparkchaser

Post by sparkchaser » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:55 pm

Eat more. Move less.
-Rob in Lynchburg

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:14 pm

Scott - have you tried any supplements before? You may want to do a bit of research about putting on pounds for your body type. Have you tried matching protein and carb portions yet? That helps with some people.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:36 pm

Just keep on living Scott, you'll get there.
Regards,
Squire

mrsankey

Post by mrsankey » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:17 pm

Beer. :D
Andrew

Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:26 pm

rustyblade wrote:Bacon.
... breaded, deep-fried, and then smothered with cheese. Lots of it, too. You won't have any trouble putting on a few pounds. :wink:
~Greg

Bonzo

Post by Bonzo » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:30 pm

Scrapyard Ape wrote:
rustyblade wrote:Bacon.
... breaded, deep-fried, and then smothered with cheese. Lots of it, too. You won't have any trouble putting on a few pounds. :wink:
That sounds delicious! Does it come wrapped in bacon too!?
John

All men, by nature, desire to know - Aristotle

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:53 pm

Beer, right, no matter what your diet, copious amounts of beer.
Regards,
Squire

PACHUCO

Post by PACHUCO » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:07 pm

The obvious would be protein supplements. But these you would have to take and work-out. Less cardio and more weight training; with the weight training go for more reps and sets- not to be confused with strength training which is more weight less reps/sets. Also do more than one or two exercises per muscle group, take it slow and easy. It is better to do less and do it right, than more and wrong. Your muscles will have to tone-up first before they can build up. I also recommend getting a personal trainer for at least one session to show you the ropes, or form a rapport with some of the guys at the gym that can give you pointers. Take all info with a grain of salt as most people think they're way is the right way, as with shaving YMMV with different methods. I can’t help you with diet; I love to eat pretty much what everybody mentioned above. :)
Sergio

Winzzy

Post by Winzzy » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:13 pm

I wish I had your problem mine is the exact opposite...

It will take a lot of supplements and a lot of hard work for someone with your body type to bulk up... The other thing is as soon as you stop working on it the muscle will leave...

For me it takes excrutiating amounts of nutritional control and excersise not to get fat... If I wanted to I could probibly put muscle on easily but being "cut" or "lean" is very hard for me...
-Tim

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:29 pm

Winzzy wrote:... being "cut" or "lean" is very hard for me...
As it is for the vast majority of the world's population.

Scott - instead of worrying about bulk, perhaps you should be more focused on your cardio health. Believe it or not, there are some very 'cut' people out there who have not taken care of their heart and run high risks of cardio disease - even though they look the envy of the world.

In the end, bulking up can be difficult - maybe you should wait a few years. Weight has a habit of catching up with everyone eventually. :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?

PaulSiegel

Post by PaulSiegel » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:39 pm

Buy the Book "Starting Strength" By Mark Rippetoe and Lon Kilgore. http://www.startingstrength.com/

Do the program recommend in the book: A gallon of whole milk a day combined with large muscle recruitment exercises like squats, Deadlifts, standing press, cleans, etc. Stay away from the isolation workouts, they don't do anything. I started the program (besides the milk, trying to keep my weight were it is) about 3 weeks ago and I have never been this strong.

Also check out http://www.crossfit.com/ if your looking for something a little different. This is the system that the marines and SEALs use to train their men. It's a free daily workout that places a large demand on the body in different ways in 3 days on/ 1 off schedule. Usually the days are pure aerobic, metabolic conditioning and anaerobic strength. I'm working up to be able to do one of the workouts. Its easier to go to one of the affiliates and learn the basics with the trainers than trying to do it yourself on your own.

Good luck with the pounds, hope you find what you're looking for.

Remember puking is just a sign of proper intensity being applied.

Paul
"There is more refreshment and stimulation in a nap, even of the briefest, than in all the alcohol ever distilled."

-Ovid

Gatorade

Post by Gatorade » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:55 pm

PaulSiegel wrote:Also check out http://www.crossfit.com/ if your looking for something a little different.
That crossfit stuff is serious s**t. I checked out that site last year and the videos of the chicks doing the work outs will make even some of the fittest people on this board feel like puking. Very intense but HIGHLY effective. You just have to commit to it like crazy.
--Charlie
AACJ wrote:Two words:

Duct Tape

Brett G
Viscount Krona

Re: Any Work Out Freaks Here?

Post by Brett G » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:25 pm

HBK42581 wrote:As a skinny guy with a lightning fast metabolism, I have always had trouble putting on pounds. Even when I hit the weights hard in college for a 6 month period I was only able to put on about 5-10 pounds of muscle. Currently I am about 6'2/6'3 and I weight a mediocre 145/150. I'd like to be able to get up to about 165/170. Anyone got any pointers? Thanks.
It sounds like you are only interested in getting bigger. Nothing wrong with that in and of itself but my first question would be why? If it is only out of simple vanity then there are probaby easier ways to achieve a better look, especially given your body type. The human body does not want to carry excess muscle and will fight you at every turn. Look at what competitive body builders have to put themselves through. Your body sounds like it is even more resistant. Genetics is what determines our basic physical make-up. You could probably lift weights all day, drink protein shakes until you puke, and still not add any real weight. As jww said, you are probably better off exercising for overall health rather than just adding bulk.

Start lifting weights and you will add some muscle, though not much. Lift heavier weights and your muscles will retain some of that high tension, also known as tone. The "cut" that body builders get is the result of a complicated leaning out process. Normal people do not look like that just doing a regular workout, no matter what the folks at Bowflex say.

The point is, any good work out program will make you look better and feel better. You already have the added benefit of your muscles not being burried under a bunch of fat. There is a ton of information available on the internet regarding general fitness. Paul pointed out a couple of very good sites. Just make sure that whatever you do you enjoy, or else you won't be doing it for very long.
Brett

Big Fella

squats

Post by Big Fella » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:50 pm

One set of 20 warm up squats, then go to one set of 20 HEAVY squats. So heavy that you can barley squeeze them out, have a spotter help you. There is a book out on this, I think you can get it through Iron Mind. That's it, you're done for the day and if you pushed it hard enough, you will be DONE. Stay safe!!!
Stay Safe!!!!!!!!!!!!

HBK42581

Post by HBK42581 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:07 pm

Brett G wrote:
HBK42581 wrote:As a skinny guy with a lightning fast metabolism, I have always had trouble putting on pounds. Even when I hit the weights hard in college for a 6 month period I was only able to put on about 5-10 pounds of muscle. Currently I am about 6'2/6'3 and I weight a mediocre 145/150. I'd like to be able to get up to about 165/170. Anyone got any pointers? Thanks.
It sounds like you are only interested in getting bigger. Nothing wrong with that in and of itself but my first question would be why? If it is only out of simple vanity then there are probaby easier ways to achieve a better look, especially given your body type. The human body does not want to carry excess muscle and will fight you at every turn. Look at what competitive body builders have to put themselves through. Your body sounds like it is even more resistant. Genetics is what determines our basic physical make-up. You could probably lift weights all day, drink protein shakes until you puke, and still not add any real weight. As jww said, you are probably better off exercising for overall health rather than just adding bulk.

Start lifting weights and you will add some muscle, though not much. Lift heavier weights and your muscles will retain some of that high tension, also known as tone. The "cut" that body builders get is the result of a complicated leaning out process. Normal people do not look like that just doing a regular workout, no matter what the folks at Bowflex say.

The point is, any good work out program will make you look better and feel better. You already have the added benefit of your muscles not being burried under a bunch of fat. There is a ton of information available on the internet regarding general fitness. Paul pointed out a couple of very good sites. Just make sure that whatever you do you enjoy, or else you won't be doing it for very long.
It's not ALL about the look although I have always been self conscious about how thin I am. I'd like to have a bit of a "healthier look" we'll say and by achieving a bit of weight gain I think I can reach that. The doc's say that a guy my height SHOULD weigh closer to 165 in terms of health. First things first though, I gotta get myself back in the gym.
Scott "The Heart Break Kid"

PaulSiegel

Re: squats

Post by PaulSiegel » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:08 pm

Big Fella wrote:One set of 20 warm up squats, then go to one set of 20 HEAVY squats. So heavy that you can barley squeeze them out, have a spotter help you. There is a book out on this, I think you can get it through Iron Mind. That's it, you're done for the day and if you pushed it hard enough, you will be DONE. Stay safe!!!
I believe that program is called Super Squats

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Squats-Poun ... 0926888005

Its the combination of a massive amount of protein and really hard work that gets you big. No other way to do it. Steriods is just cheating[/url]
"There is more refreshment and stimulation in a nap, even of the briefest, than in all the alcohol ever distilled."

-Ovid

Big Fella

book

Post by Big Fella » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:54 am

Paul has it right, the Book is Super Squats. Also the magazine I mentioned, Iron Mind, is a great one for strength athletets.
Stay Safe!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brett G
Viscount Krona

Post by Brett G » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:02 am

HBK42581 wrote:It's not ALL about the look although I have always been self conscious about how thin I am. I'd like to have a bit of a "healthier look" we'll say and by achieving a bit of weight gain I think I can reach that. The doc's say that a guy my height SHOULD weigh closer to 165 in terms of health. First things first though, I gotta get myself back in the gym.
Don't get caught up in what standards, and other people, say you should look like. If you are otherwise healthy and feel good then it doesn't make a difference if you fit the standard mold. Everyone is different. I am 5'9" and 190lbs; technically that makes me overweight. I happen to have large thighs and broad shoulders for someone my height. If I listened to the dogma I'd be trying to lose weight that is almost impossible for me to get rid of. Not only will adding significant weight be difficult, so will keeping it. Lets say you do manage to add 15lbs. You also have to fight to maintain it. Like I said, the body does not want to carry any more muscle than it has to. Stop working out and you'll go right back to neutral.

I'm not trying to discourage you in anyway. You may try the Crossfit, Supersquat, or some other program, fall in love with it, and do it for a long long time. It is just a good idea to have realistic expectations and it sounds like adding and maintaining an additional 10-15% of body weight may be very difficult for you.
Brett