Any Work Out Freaks Here?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
drumana

Post by drumana » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:16 am

Well, you want to gain lean muscle mass, not body fat . . . anyways, if you start working out more - strenuous workouts 5 times a week, you'll need to eat more to have the energy to do so. You'll start gaining weight. . . if not, wait till you get a bit older - you'll "fill out" when hit your late 20's/early 30's (if I remember correctly your in your mid 20's, right - or did I make that up?).
-Andrew-

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:36 am

The doc's say that a guy my height SHOULD weigh closer to 165 in terms of health.
Sheesh!! :shock: I was horrified when I read this. I'm 5 10, weigh 220 and no doctor has ever mentioned a word to me about my weight. Using your numbers as a mark, I must be considered obese. This is all very distressing. I think I'll go have a xanax with a beer to calm my nerves down. Oh, and by the way, any time you want to switch bodies, I'm all for transplants. Man, I would LOVE to be skinny for just once in my life HAHAHAHAHA

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum

HBK42581

Post by HBK42581 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:38 am

drumana wrote:Well, you want to gain lean muscle mass, not body fat . . . anyways, if you start working out more - strenuous workouts 5 times a week, you'll need to eat more to have the energy to do so. You'll start gaining weight. . . if not, wait till you get a bit older - you'll "fill out" when hit your late 20's/early 30's (if I remember correctly your in your mid 20's, right - or did I make that up?).
No you are correct. Being more active is definitely more important than just looking better. I used to play a lot of indoor soccer but a broken toe and a broken nose later made me realize that at my age, those injuries weren't worth it. I have had back troubles my entire life and I'd like to be able to strengthen my lower back to the point where it doesn't hurt to get out of bed anymore. There's a lot of things I'd like to work on. After hearing a lot of the thoughts from the gents here on the board, maybe adding on the weight isn't so much as important as becoming healthier and feeling better is. Thanks to all of you guys for the fine advice.
Scott "The Heart Break Kid"

Barry

Post by Barry » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:59 am

I will follow up with the recommendation of finding a good trainer to help you get started. You might want to speak with an RD as well. Having your diet lined up with your exercise routine is essential. You might wind up eating 5-6x small meals a day like me, but hey, whatever works.

Edit: I just saw your last post. I had a lot of rehab work to do myself (had a mess of scar tissue). If you focus on the big picture everything else tends to follow. I experienced a great increase in mobility, loss of fat and increase in muscle and tone.

Barry

pjdatzil

Post by pjdatzil » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:01 pm

Being a college athlete, I have spent the last several years trying to put on as much muscle as I could without putting on the extra fat. One of the books I read that help me learn about not only how to become more athletic, but also add weight was called Core Performance. This book is written by Mark Verstegen. He has a sports training facility in Arizona where he trains professional and college athletes. The book focuses on how to eat right and work out, maintaining flexibility. It is a good goal to put on weight, but you want to make sure the weight you are adding is "good" weight. If I remember right, for every 3 pounds of muscle, you should add only about 1 pound of fat.

Another thing that may help is to eat 1 to 1.5 grams of protein for every pound that you weigh. This was the general rule that I read and came across in all of my researching/training with the college and professional coaches.

Also, depending on what kind of goals you have and your age, there are many good supplements out there. If you are interested and would like more information, just let me know and I will point you in the right direction.
Tad

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:52 am

I used to be more of a workout freak than I am now. I was a marathoner for a few years, then added weightlifting and cut back on the running in an effort to gain a bit of weight. Fast forward three years, and I've put on weight..but not the good kind. A series of running injuries, the most recent of them still unsolved, have left me largely inactive.

That said, when I was trying to gain weight, I found Dr. John Berardi's articles quite helpful. You can find them at http://www.johnberardi.com or http://www.t-nation.com. Search the sites for "Skinny Bastard." Berardi has since co-authored a book called Scrawny to Brawny, which is an excellent resource, too, adding more dimension to the articles he has written.

In a sense, all the advice in the world for gaining weight comes down to the upthread advice "Eat more. Move less." But Berardi discusses nutrient partitioning, meal timing, and specific workouts that helped me immensely. I put on about 15 pounds of muscle in a year, all the while running 5-10 miles a day (I just couldn't give it up).
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau

Julius_Rodman

Re: Any Work Out Freaks Here?

Post by Julius_Rodman » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:24 am

HBK42581 wrote:As a skinny guy with a lightning fast metabolism, I have always had trouble putting on pounds. Even when I hit the weights hard in college for a 6 month period I was only able to put on about 5-10 pounds of muscle. Currently I am about 6'2/6'3 and I weight a mediocre 145/150. I'd like to be able to get up to about 165/170. Anyone got any pointers? Thanks.

From the voice of experience, just wait awhile and you'll easily put on 50 if you stop exercising. I went from 6'6" 180 playing hoops in university to 280 in my working years. Now down to 220 through basic starvation and exercise for a year.

What do you want this extra weight for?

--------------

Kent

Timpac

Post by Timpac » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:10 pm

Honestly, if you're really interested, not just from the weight and appearance perspective, the high reps and larger number of sets is the best way to go. I use something in the middle, more reps than most folk use, but a much more balanced amount of weight. The reasoning for this type of exercise is that the muscle you do build ends up being much stronger and, once built up, will give you real definition. With your build, you're never going to look super huge unless you workout non-stop. As long as you don't expect immediate results, go for lower weight with lots of reps and sets. The deadlifts and squats are a very good suggestion, as they work the core of the body and help build overall fitness in addition to strength. My cardio workout begins with these exercises because of how quickly they raise the heart rate. After the first couple sweats, my breathing and heart rate is up and I've broken a sweat. The other exercises are good for their respective muscle groups, but nothing will get you feeling in better shape than the deadlifts and squats.

BlankTim

Post by BlankTim » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:11 pm

Also check out http://www.crossfit.com/ if your looking for something a little different. This is the system that the marines and SEALs use to train their men. It's a free daily workout that places a large demand on the body in different ways in 3 days on/ 1 off schedule. Usually the days are pure aerobic, metabolic conditioning and anaerobic strength. I'm working up to be able to do one of the workouts. Its easier to go to one of the affiliates and learn the basics with the trainers than trying to do it yourself on your own.

Good luck with the pounds, hope you find what you're looking for.

Remember puking is just a sign of proper intensity being applied.

Paul
I wanted to puke just watching the videos. :-B :-B :-B :-B
I think I'll have to step up my work outs a little bit before I'll be ready for that, but it looks like a major rush for sure.
-Tim
...So I lathered him with me shillelagh...

javyn

Post by javyn » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:14 pm

I'm also very skinny and looking to put on weight. Since I quit smoking for good in December, this has gotten much easier for me. But, here are a few things I like to keep in mind that help me..

Cottage cheese at night before bed is a great, slow digesting source of protein.

Bananas and milk are also a great combo for any part of the day.

Calcium/Magnesium/Vitamin D at night before bed is a must. The magnesium will help you sleep and give you some pretty off the wall dreams, and the calcium will build your bones, which need to strengthen up BEFORE you start packing on pounds.

You could also take ZMA at night (zinc, magnesium, vitamin b6), but be careful not to mix with milk or calcium supplements...since calcium will block the absorption of zinc.

I take cal/mag/d at night, and zinc picolinate during the day separately.

Zinc is a MUST for any bodybuilder, or really, for all men. Zinc deficiency = testosterone deficiency. If you are a man, and are athletic at all, and/or sexually active...you need to supplement with zinc! Not only will your body thank you, but so will your wife *grins
John

JayKay

Post by JayKay » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:27 pm

I was in the same boat as you. I am 5'8 and have been since high school. I was 115lbs in high school untill I started working out. After working out I peaked at 135lbs taking just protein, eating tons of small meals and lifting religiously. Once I came to college I began taking some other supplements and blew up to 165, and than brought it down to 155 and was cut, and big.

Currently I am 153 and am feeling a little bit skinny so I'm about to go on a binge of supplements. The best product I have found for putting on weight and muscle is Muscle Milk. You need to do cardio while taking muscle milk or you will get fat because it has tons of calories. I prefer the premixed shakes because the powder tastes like crap.

My every day supplement intake:
1 vitamin shoppe multivitamin
1500mg arganine
1500mg ornithine
1 scoop of Nectar (32g protein, 90 calories)

Now that I plan on bulking up I am switching the nectar out for muscle milk and taking 1-3 spin classes per week (over 1000 calories burnt in an hour).

The arginine/ornithine combination is the best thing I have taken to this point. It stimulates your natural production of growth hormone and helps you get/stay strong and lean. I have seen greater increases in strength with these amino acids than any other expensive product.

PM me if your looking for any tips or have any questions. I'm a biology major and have been working out for about 6 years now.
-Jay