Baldness...

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Occam

Baldness...

Post by Occam »

Hi gents,

I just wanted to start a topic on this as I read something interesting in a book on the origins of man with some controversial things. In it the author writes about reading an article in Psychology Today from 1977 which reported that the number of men with full heads of hair was over-represented in jails and especially those on death row compared to the general population.

It went on to say that baldness was more common amongst businessmen (whatever that means), college professors and establishment men.

Finally he states, and I am assuming that the author must have been bald though he doesn't say, that even though one might naturally expect baldness to be associated with illness, poor diet, and lack of hygiene you could be guaranteed to find vigorous full heads of hair amongst winos, vagrants, and 'gentlemen of the road'.

Comments?
Ben

Merkur Futur in Au.
John 5

Post by John 5 »

And then, the writer went on to found this…

On a serious note, I equate such claims or insinuations along with claims from camps that claim mental acuity differences hinge on innate differences between races, gender, or such. Not credible. I have found it an interesting topic at times, and have pursued it when it has come up here and there, such as when Harvard University’s president Summers alluded to innate male gender superiority in certain disciplines. The more one looks into the data, the more it seems that while there are tangible physiological differences between us, the differences are not such that one may make such generalized conclusions nor correlations between mental capacity and said factors. Sociological factors such as cultural norms, upbringing, and physical ailments such as mental illness, on the other hand, do matter. There is no question that there is a strong correlation between mental illness the homeless population, for example.

But to make a correlation based on race, gender, presence of hair or lack thereof? Has never been proven, and perhaps never will be.

Now, matters of hair style, on the other hand, is a whole different story.

Iacchus

Post by Iacchus »

heh...
My head sorta looks like a bell curve.
~Mitch

93 93/93
Hoos

Post by Hoos »

What does it say about men who shave their heads? :D

Honestly, trying to draw any direct correlation between a "type" and "behavior" is just shooting fish in a barrel. There are so many factors to take into account that I distrust any non-peer-reviewed study. Even then, recent dust ups in the medical review field indicate they are not as independent as we'd like to think. Not saying that it's wrong. Just that it's good to apply critical thinking. How many prisons? What parts of the world? Just men? Race? Socio-economic status prior to prison (even millionaires murder)? Etc.

If I were to limit my www experience to SMF, I could say that it appears that most people on the internet seem to have an unnatural interest in shaving. Based on my empirical knowledge, it would be true. But there is no logic that supports it in the world at large.
Brent
Tondeo ergo sum.