New Summer Stove

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
jww
Woolly Bully

New Summer Stove

Post by jww »

After many years of buying $200 barbeques from Canadian Tire, Sears, Walmart, and even Loblaws, I finally, after a great deal of frustration, went for a real grill. I picked up a brand new 2007 Vermont Castings Signature Series 3 burner grill. Wow - what a piece of artwork this thing is - almost as great to look at as my Specialized Sequoia road bike which was my big summer acquisition last summer. :wink:

It's still in box as my wife figured that with what we were paying - I could make the effort to save the assembly fee.

I hope to have it built by the weekend to try it out.

Of course - this is all a way to work up to getting a EJ Chatsworth razor as my next razor acquisition... :lol:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Bonzo

Post by Bonzo »

Drool....

I could go for some good BBQ
John

All men, by nature, desire to know - Aristotle
John 5

Post by John 5 »

Very nice grill. I'd never heard of the maker, but a quick look shows it is oozing of quality. Very nice.

One question. Is 'summer stove' a common name for grills up there in Canada? Since joining this forum, I've been trying to learn the ways of my neighbors to the north. Before, the limits of my cultural acclimation was knowledge of your bacon and affinity for hockey.
Killian85

Post by Killian85 »

Wendell, I'm expecting a full review on that grill. My girlfriend is looking for one and has enlisted my help in doing so. I found a few dealers of that brand in this area. Didn't know that one existed so thanks for posting it.

Steaks, burgers, dogs, ribs, chicken.....it's almost like being in heaven. :D
Alan

"Crime does not pay ... as well as politics."
Alfred E. Newman

The Double A Lounge
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

John 5 wrote:Very nice grill. I'd never heard of the maker, but a quick look shows it is oozing of quality. Very nice.

One question. Is 'summer stove' a common name for grills up there in Canada? Since joining this forum, I've been trying to learn the ways of my neighbors to the north. Before, the limits of my cultural acclimation was knowledge of your bacon and affinity for hockey.
We call them Barbecues, although it could be different across our great land.
Richard
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Looks great! Vermont Castings has the highest reputation for their wood stoves, so I bet that this will be very well made as well.
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

I plan on getting one of these this summer. I love that it has a combination of gas and charcoal.

http://www.chargriller.com/duogrill.html
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Summer stove was simply a play on words. Being the Resident Woolfat Evangelist, I have a reputation to upkeep. :wink:

Vermont Castings, up until last year, were made and assembled in the US and Canada. They are equal in quality to Weber and superior to Broil King. However, this year, they transferred manufacture to China - so this closeout was an unbelievable deal. It's still in a box in my garage -- I will be building it Thursday evening. Review/results to follow.
Wendell

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Wendell

Use it in good health and enjoy the fruits of your labour.

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
timc

Post by timc »

Slightly off-topic... that's a beautiful bike! You can use it to work off the pounds that the barbecue puts on. You need to keep things in balance, you know.

I wouldn't call my barbecue a summer stove. I use mine year round. Standing on ice in front of a burning hot thing brings a little bit of excitement into my cooking.
- Tim -
"You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains."
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

timc wrote:Slightly off-topic... that's a beautiful bike! You can use it to work off the pounds that the barbecue puts on. You need to keep things in balance, you know.

I wouldn't call my barbecue a summer stove. I use mine year round. Standing on ice in front of a burning hot thing brings a little bit of excitement into my cooking.
Yup - the Sequoia is an excellent set of wheels. I got a great deal on that as well - $1300 CDN in some stores depending where you look. Tommy & Lefebvre in Ottawa sell it regularly at $1179 CDN - but I got it last year mid-summer while they were clearing out, and paid only $849 CDN. It goes like stink on the flats, and is the most far bike I have ever ridden by far - including a heavy 'hybrid' with shocks that was brutal to pedal to get any speed up - dang near caused a heart attack (no, not really, but you get the picture). I have a bunch of new riding gear coming in a week from Nashbar. They are the best biking value I have found on the web. And - just like Em's Place, I get them to ship to our hotels when we stay in the US and take it back within my customs declaration limit. Shipping is way cheaper to the US than Canada - which is a joke, imo.

The Vermont Castings Signature 3517 will be the first bbq that we have owned which will withstand the Ottawa winter temperatures for cooking. We plan to use it all year round. Before now, the ones I owned wouldn't keep in the heat sufficiently to cook after mid-October or before mid May. This will keep it's proud place on my patio just outside the back door, under a small overhang of a 2nd floor bedroom. Gotta get us one of them Weber poultry roaster. They are supposed to be the best.
Wendell

Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

Johnnie wrote:I plan on getting one of these this summer. I love that it has a combination of gas and charcoal.

http://www.chargriller.com/duogrill.html
Johnnie,
That is a wonderful and simple to use grill there. www.barbecuebible.com
Check this place out, they have quite a loyal following there.
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Gents - I built my new Vermont Castings BBQ last night. Really took my time, but honestly, it was the easiest bbq assembly I have ever done. All there was to do was build the cart, place the stove on it, and assemble and attach the shelves. The fellow who sold it to me told me it was dead easy, and while it would take a couple of hours (which it did), it was very straight forward.

Now I'll clean it off and we'll cook something on it at least a couple of times over the weekend.

I'll post pics later. \:D/
Wendell

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

So??? How did the grill work out for you????

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

fallingwickets wrote:So??? How did the grill work out for you????

Clive
Ah yes, well you know first time cooking on a new grill - takes a bit of getting used to. Burgers and dogs and pork were all good - the chicken was a bit dry, but only a bit. Garlic potatoes were excellent as were grilled peppers.

I am planning on planking some salmon next week, and well, we will pretty much barbeque most days starting soon.
Wendell