POTD: What pen/pencil are you using today?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
southpaw

Post by southpaw »

Some very nice pens there, Ben!

Ed, Visconti blue is an excellent, reliable, vibrant blue. The v-bottle (fancy glass bottle) is elegant and classy, yet very practical as the ink well allows you to use up much of the ink. It is a bit tip-prone, but leaving the bottle in the nice box it comes in solves this quite easily. I highly recommend the ink. If you're interested in a particular ink or color, shoot me a message and I might can recommend something and perhaps provide a sample.

Today's pen was a Bexley Poseidon Cracked Ice SE filled with Noodlers Zhivago. It's a compact pen when capped that will fit into any pocket, yet posted is quite long.

Capped:

Posted:

And the business end:
Blessings,
Michael
bbqncigars

Post by bbqncigars »

I've been enjoying my Lamy 2000 that arrived Saturday. The EF nib behaved like a wet F with Aurora black, but settled down when I switched to Polar Black. Now it's a true gem to write with. I'll be interested to see how long I can go without filling. Note: the 'instructions' show a post-fill expelling of a couple of drops of ink. This is mandatory to avoid them showing up later on their own. :roll:

Wayne
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant
dlloyd9999

Post by dlloyd9999 »

Using a Namiki Vanishing point in green and gold (Red ink cartridge), and my faithful Parker vacumatic in Amber with Noodlers azure... A good day!
Gene

Post by Gene »

Today I am using this beauty:

Sheaffer Saratoga with snorkel:

Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
smoothshaver

Post by smoothshaver »

southpaw wrote: Ed, Visconti blue is an excellent, reliable, vibrant blue. The v-bottle (fancy glass bottle) is elegant and classy, yet very practical as the ink well allows you to use up much of the ink. It is a bit tip-prone, but leaving the bottle in the nice box it comes in solves this quite easily. I highly recommend the ink. If you're interested in a particular ink or color, shoot me a message and I might can recommend something and perhaps provide a sample.
Thanks, Michael. I was sufficiently taken with the Visconti blue to invest in a bottle. I hope it's safe for vintage pens, as well.

Today's pens are a blue carbonesque VP filled with Waterman Florida blue and a Parker Frontier (XF nib) filled with PR American blue. The XF is a bit finer than I'd like, so I'm trying to find an ink that gives a bit more flow. I also figure PR drying time is less of an issue with a finer nib than I generally use.
-Ed
KenS

Post by KenS »

Same old pen living on my desk. It's a Conklin Nozac, Wordguage LE in sterling silver and??

southpaw

Post by southpaw »

Wayne, that 2000 is a true workhorse of a pen and should last you for a very long time. Nice pen.

dlloyd, those are a couple of nice pens. Can you tell us more about that Vac and maybe even post a photo?

Gene, nice photos and even nicer Snorkel set! I'm using one today myself (see photos below).

Ed, no worries about Visconti ink in any pen whatsoever. :D Nice pens you're using today also. As a lefty, I don't use PR because they do tend to dry a bit too slowly for me. :cry: They've got some really great looking colors - shame about the drying/smearing.

Ken, here's how Conklin describes the material:
This unique writing instrument is made of acryloid, a special combination of celluloid and acrylic which creates a truly vintage appearance.
BTW, very nice pen! I've got a Nozac Word Gauge LE in the red/blue.

Today's pen/pencil set is a Sheaffer PFM IV, inked with Diamine Imperial Purple.

Capped:

Snorkel extended:

And the nib:
Blessings,
Michael
Gene

Post by Gene »

hey Southpaw,

Boy that PFM is a good looking pen!!

I love the look of the nib.

Gene
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
tonyespo
The Goldfather

Parker Frontier Stub

Post by tonyespo »

I picked up this Parker Frontier with a custom Stub nib. I'm not a fan of the Stub nib. I never wrote with one so I figured I would give it a try. It's plenty smooth but much to wide for my liking.

This pen will end up in the sale/trade forum on FPN.
Tony Espo ( Lover of Knize )
Go for the GOLD.

Through my will power I dare to do what I want.
southpaw

Post by southpaw »

Thanks, Gene.

Tony, the stub makes a great signature pen. :wink:

Today's pen:

1928 Parker Duofold Senior "Big Red" in superb condition. :D :D :D :D
Blessings,
Michael
dlloyd9999

Post by dlloyd9999 »

SouthPaw - pictures tomorrow, I promise - today swapped out the Namiki for a Duofold Centennial in green marble. Nice. I love the Parker stuff. Never got much into anything else - a couple of waterman and MBs and some odd pelikans. Any recommendations?

D
I don't pretend to understand Branigan's law,
I just enforce it.
southpaw

Post by southpaw »

dlloyd9999 wrote:SouthPaw - pictures tomorrow, I promise - today swapped out the Namiki for a Duofold Centennial in green marble. Nice. I love the Parker stuff. Never got much into anything else - a couple of waterman and MBs and some odd pelikans. Any recommendations?

D
Looking forward to the photos. As to recommendations, what specifically are you looking for?
Blessings,
Michael
dlloyd9999

Post by dlloyd9999 »

Something out of the ordinary... I would like a nice lever filler with good ink flow. I find mine (a couple of conways) a little jittery. I need to branch out!

PS: I have a MacArthur LE dufold. Similar colour to the big red, but yours is just gorgeous!

D
I just enforce it.
dlloyd9999

Post by dlloyd9999 »

Vacuumatic

Namiki and Marble Duofold... Added bonus, my conway casien LE

D
I just enforce it.
southpaw

Post by southpaw »

Very nice pens, D. Thanks for posting the beautiful photos.

Something out of the ordinary... I would like a nice lever filler with good ink flow.
On this, I would encourage you to peruse the pen sale boards (FPN and PenTrace), plus check the vintage pens for sale by some of the trusted sellers and see what strikes your fancy. Any pen can be tweaked to write like you want in terms of smoothness and ink flow. :)
Blessings,
Michael
bbqncigars

Post by bbqncigars »

The Reform 1745 I just got from an FPN member in the Netherlands is a wonderful writer for around $20 delivered. A nice piston-filler with a 'medium' nib that the gent smoothed up before shipping. It actually is more a M-F with Diamine Imperial Blue. I'll have to try some other inks in it, as the current ink is a bit too purple for my liking.

Wayne
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant
water

Post by water »

Gentlemen:

I am looking to buy a fountain pen but have so little knowledge of the subject I do not even know where best to start.

Right now I am leaning toward a Parker Sonnet Stainless Steel Chrome for under $75. Any thoughts on its quality? Can it be considered a good buy? I like the clean look of the stainless steel and chrome. My hope is to be able to use it in all sorts of situations.

I would love to get a fountain pen made in England as well. Any suggestions?

Post by southpaw »

water wrote:Gentlemen:

I am looking to buy a fountain pen but have so little knowledge of the subject I do not even know where best to start.

Right now I am leaning toward a Parker Sonnet Stainless Steel Chrome for under $75. Any thoughts on its quality? Can it be considered a good buy? I like the clean look of the stainless steel and chrome. My hope is to be able to use it in all sorts of situations.

I would love to get a fountain pen made in England as well. Any suggestions?

Hi there,

You can get an excellent pen in the price range you're seeking. As to the Parker Sonnet, be very careful from whom you buy. Unless you personally know the seller, I would NOT buy one off of Ebay as the vast majority of them on Ebay are fakes. Buy from an authorized dealer OR you could go the vintage pen route. If you have questions about a particular seller/vendor, shoot me a PM and I'll tell you what, if anything, I know. It's exciting planning and researching your first FP purchase - CONGRATS!
Blessings,
Michael
dlloyd9999

Post by dlloyd9999 »

Southpaw is exactly write. (pun intended) Check fountain pen network or pentrace. However, if you have your heart set on a parker (i truly understand), talk to Dennis at parkville pens. I have bought things from him in the past. Always a good price, great quality, and an expert advisor.

Cheers
D
I just enforce it.
woodsrider

Post by woodsrider »

southpaw wrote:Image

1928 Parker Duofold Senior "Big Red" in superb condition. :D :D :D :D
Nice Big Red, Michael!
Lynn